Subaru Outback Forums banner

What did you do with your 2nd gen Outback today?

782K views 6K replies 554 participants last post by  My First Subaru 
#1 ·
Most of the other Subie forums have one so I'm starting one here for the 2nd gen OBw. Hopefully it can be made a sticky (STICKY REQUESTED).

#15 ·
I vacuumed all of the carpets and seats, which is likely the first time its been done in years. Within a couple of days of getting the car, I'd already swept the car - it was that much crud.

I also took a brush and swiffer duster to the dash, and scrubbed the driver's door treadplate and kickpanel area and treated it. My car looks newer every day.

#16 ·
Bought mine a month ago.

Have already:
-Replaced spark plugs
-Replaced remote Transmission Filter
-Fixed both rear door seals
-Added B&M transmission cooler
-Added magnafine transmission filter
-Picked up FreeSSM software and appropriate cable to read ECU & TCU codes, data, system tests, measurements, adjustments.
-Programmed the TCU to cut back 8% on the transfer solenoid, was binding a tiny bit at slow speeds/tight corners.

To top it all off :D
Built an Arduino powered controller with a high side driver so I can manually command how much power I want delivered to the rear wheels. Directly controlling the transfer solenoid.
From F/R 0/100 split to 50/50 split. Turn it on when I want it, turn it off when I don't. No codes, no errors.

What did you do with your 2nd gen OB today?
I like this thread. :D

Reactions: mrbrefast
#1,742 ·
... To top it all off :D
Built an Arduino powered controller with a high side driver so I can manually command how much power I want delivered to the rear wheels. Directly controlling the transfer solenoid.
From F/R 0/100 split to 50/50 split. Turn it on when I want it, turn it off when I don't. No codes, no errors...
Question: do you have any further details about this addition to your OBW? Do you think this is a project better suited for an Arduino, or a Raspberry Pi?

#17 ·
First day with my 04 LL Bean, so I drove it home, registered and insured it, and otherwise looked at what I should do to it in the near future:

Cleaned the interior and exterior.

Bought pads and rotors for the front and back, but didn't want to try changing them in the dark. Also bought oil and a filter for it.

Replaced my driver's side low-beam bulb.

...and drove around the cones in order to take a dirt road on my way home that got partially washed away by Irene, just because I could.

Reactions: Trey Short
#18 ·
Got tires rotated. Made appointment for alignment.

Purchased a new OEM front O2 sensor to try and get my CEL to go away. Will be installing it and hopefully changing the front and rear diff fluids this weekend.

Also, re-wrapped a crack in my plastic intake tubing with duct tape.

Reactions: Lverano
#19 ·
Ordered a new JVC double-din headunit and a cheap mono amp today. Hopefully I can use the amp to power the stock sub. I'm not sacrificing interior room to add a "real" one, and since this one is already there I might as well use it.

The CD changer is dead on the stock headunit, but the FM section works well enough for me to be able to tell that the stock speakers are all good...actually, I'm pretty impressed with them.

Also, realized my paint color code isn't the most common one around.

#21 ·
SubH- should we read anything in to why you are now posting here versus your own thread? Is BluBaru complete? If so, can we look forward to your starting a build thread for RedBaru?

#22 ·
I know it's a repeat and might not post here since I have my own thread. I just figured that since only a couple of people read my thread others might be interested in what I've done to it. Not meant to post w hore for sure.

#23 ·
I didn't mean to imply anything negative. Was just curious.
As for your other thread- i think it's more than a couple... Last count: 665 replies & 64,355 views. :cool:

#26 ·
Cel p1507

Yesterday on my 02 OBW the CEL came on. Found out it was the P1507 neutral switch malfunction.
Went to the dealer ship picked up a new switch as well as new cabin filters.
Since buying the car I had not replaced the cabin filters and OMG I have never seen an air filter look as bad as these ones. Had to get the shop vac to assist in the clean out. Real easy job just follow the directions. I hope it smells better in there LOL.
Replaced the switch in a matter of minutes. No more CEL :29:

#27 ·
Yesterday on my 02 OBW the CEL came on. Found out it was the P1507 neutral switch malfunction.
Went to the dealer ship picked up a new switch as well as new cabin filters.
Since buying the car I had not replaced the cabin filters and OMG I have never seen an air filter look as bad as these ones. Had to get the shop vac to assist in the clean out. Real easy job just follow the directions. I hope it smells better in there LOL.
Replaced the switch in a matter of minutes. No more CEL :29:
My intake filter is clean, but I forgot to check the cabin ones...my Maxima didn't have them. Guess I'll have to do that.

Put in my JVC double-din headunit yesterday...those stock speakers are pretty good! Lots of punch. I may not even bother hooking up the sub. Also, ripped most of the OnStar stuff out of the dash. The buttons are still there because it was getting dark, but eventually I'll take it apart again so I can put a dash pocket in place of it.

#30 ·
Just like so many others, I just lost my front tow hook cap. Don't think I'm going to replace it, since it doesn't look that bad with it missing. Long story short, I think it's in the mud I drove through today, but I'm not going back to look for it.

The plastic guard under the oil pan and filter also fell off, but that wasn't on great to begin with. I don't think I'm going to put it back on, I'll probably rip out all of that stupid plastic and try to make a metal skid plate instead. I'd feel better about some of the places I go with that anyway.

I did order some touchup paint (19X isn't the most common of colors, come to find out), to fix some of the minor blemishes on it.

Only had my OB a week and I'm impressed...I can stop in a significant amount of mud and get going again without spinning a bit...with worn summer tires! How many vehicles can go through mud and climb washed out dirt roads like nothing and ride like a Cadillac on the highway?

#31 ·
Cabin Air Filter - Wow extremely clogged
Surprised I didn't find some animal nesting in there.

Took off the Aero roof rack bars, unused currently, no point in having them on.