First Transmission Flush at 163K? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default First Transmission Flush at 163K?

Just bought a 2004 4 cylinder outback, 1 owner drove all 163K mainly highway miles. Her maintenance records didn't show any tranny flush and the oil is needing changed (it seems to be shifting fine, but I want to ensure as long a life as possible).

The risk if I change it - any particles from previous wear that may be helping it shift now will come out and it might be enough to start causing issues.

The risk if I don't - potentially shorter vehicle/tranny life.

Thoughts/recommendations anyone?
hephzibah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2

I'm assuming it's an auto... I've heard of the flushing machines that force fluid backwards through the transmission messing things up. There are machines that use the transmissions oil pump to push old fluid out while supplying new fluid. As for worn material helping things, I don't think that's happening.

You can also DIY by disconnecting the ATF return line from the transmission and draining that into a measured container. Let the engine idle and just remember to replace the fluid a couple of quarts at a time as it's coming out so no air gets sucked into the transmission. Basically, drain the pan. Refill it. Then let the engine idle while in P and replace what comes out of the return line.
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Presupposing you are capable of working on your own vehicle.

-Buy a new Subaru AT filter. Yes, these are different than oil filters that are usually listed.
-Buy 3 or 4 gallons of Dex III ATF. (Bang for the buck, I suggest Valvoline Maxlife purchased with a discount code from Advance Auto.)
-Buy new crush washer for the AT drain plug.

Pull AT drain plug, drain out fluid, approx 4 to 4.5 quarts. Remove old AT filter and replace. Drive around for awhile,make sure the car gets every gear P through D.
Drain and fill again as your schedule allows. Repeat.

Slowest and gentlest method, will end up with 90%+ fresh ATF when you are done.

DIY here:
Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid (is easy)

FYI: I changed out the (apparently) original ATF in KAyless at 100k. She is a happy wagon now.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotStock View Post
Me either.

Helps with two people.
Be careful with the trans fluid as it will be coming out under pressure and can be a PITA to clean up.
Definitely helps with 2 people. One person to say when a full qt has been drained and another to pour in a fresh quart.
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 03:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i Limited, 02 Audi A6 3.0 Avant Quattro

No flush ... drain & fill 2-3 times with 10 miles intervals.
bigdadi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks all. I should have been more clear - I already have all the stuff and was just plaining to drain/refill a few times, but I had a friend who changed his explorer fluid at 110K and it made things worse (he thought because of "particles" that came out with the fluid not creating the same pressure to shift or something like that).

So I was just looking for peoples thoughts/experiences with doing first tranny oil changes with high miles. I also plan to change the differential fluid as well for the first time while I'm at it.

It doesn't sound like people have had issues after changing original fluid after a lot of miles, so I think I'll move forward in hopes that fresh fluid will extend the life of the vehicle....
hephzibah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: