Subaru Outback Forums banner

How much can I get for my 2001 OBW?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  SubaruKen 
#1 ·
I'm located in the Pacific Northwest and looking to sell my 2001 Subaru Outback Wagon base model. It has 145,000 miles and I am the second owner. Clean title and does not have any major issues. I have followed the Subaru maintenance schedule and fixed any issues that have come up sooner than later. The car runs great without any issues. The timing belt needs to be done at 150k miles and head gaskets have not been done. However, there have not been any evidence of any head gasket issues.

I have looked on Craigslist and I see some sold by a dealership around the $4,000 - $4,500 range. The KBB value for my car is $2,000. How much can I expect to get for my car? I feel that Subaru's are in high demand in the Pacific Northwest so I may be able to get more than the KBB value but I also have not done the HG's so I do not know where I stand.

#5 ·
Edmunds asks by zip code, so they might add a few hundred for your PNW area. the time to sell a subaru is when people can still go skiing.

https://www.edmunds.com/appraisal/
Thank you for that link. Gives me a value of around $1,700.

$3,500

I consider it a positive that the headgaskets have never been replaced. No worries about prior overheats, what brand headgasket was done, if the heads were resurfaced, who did the work, etc. I'd prefer original headgaskets with no extant signs of leakage.
That's a good point, I never thought of that. However, I'm assuming that the majority of buyers do not have the same opinion as you.

#3 ·
Edmunds asks by zip code, so they might add a few hundred for your PNW area. the time to sell a subaru is when people can still go skiing.

(or have a white knuckle ride, in their 2wd car without snow tires)

https://www.edmunds.com/appraisal/

#4 ·
$3,500

I consider it a positive that the headgaskets have never been replaced. No worries about prior overheats, what brand headgasket was done, if the heads were resurfaced, who did the work, etc. I'd prefer original headgaskets with no extant signs of leakage.

#10 ·
For reference, I've bought like 50, sold a few dozen Subarus, and looked at thousands, the numbers given are not guesses. I know very close to what I'd get for it. ship it here and I'll get top dollar for that rust free beauty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.