Pooled coolant under upper radiator hose - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2000 Subaru Outback Limited H4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pooled coolant under upper radiator hose

I am occasionally seeing a small bit of green Subaru coolant pooled up under the upper radiator hose, on top of I believe the timing belt cover. Of course not much can really pool there without just falling down to the ground. I assumed at first that it was maybe a lose clamp, so I tightened it as much as I could. It continued to occur, so I brought it to a local mechanic. They said it was a lose clamp, and apparently tightened it some more. No charge, but it didn't fix the issue. The issue has been happening pretty much since I did the HG right after I bought the car, a new radiator hose was installed at that time.

It takes quite a bit of time before it loses enough coolant to where I need to add more, probably a couple months of daily driving, but I am just wandering what would cause this? Below is a random picture of an engine I found online (not my engine) and I put a circle around where I see the coolant.

https://imgur.com/a/lCRoC

Also, the radiator cap was replaced with a new Subaru OEM one as was the thermostat when the HG was done. And the VC gaskets. And a bunch of other stuff, but not the timing belt cover gasket, because ignorance. I had the **** thing in my gasket kit and didn't even realize it.

2000 Outback Limited H4
2002 Outback H6 - deceased
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:13 PM

Car: 06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
I get that on one of mine.
Once the hose has leaked a very small amount for awhile enough crud builds up the hise has to be removed and it and the pipe it goes on have to be cleaned.

OEM style clamps are better, too, in my opinion.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2000 Subaru Outback Limited H4
Hmm. Would the fact that I got the hose from Carquest rather than a "Subaru" hose make a difference in the fit? IIRC it was a snug fit and the clamp is locked on there. Maybe I will order a new OEM clamp as well, although I would think the current clamp is OEM, but I really don't know.

Is this what the OEM clamp is supposed to look like?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/o5EAAM...QE3/s-l300.jpg

Looks like maybe part number 091748014. I definitely think that the clamp on there is a normal autozone type clamp, not this clamp. I will pick up one of these $2 clamps and see if it makes a difference after cleaning.

Thanks.

2000 Outback Limited H4
2002 Outback H6 - deceased

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:04 PM

Car: 06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
Yeah, that's a factory style clamp for some, others are the spring clamp you squeeze with pliers.

Usually cleaning the neck and using pretty much any clamp is sufficient.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
although spring clamps have the advantage of 'automatically' adjust if there is compression with age, I will say I REALLY like the GEMI brand of clamps. they are a little narrower, have no threads cut 'thru' them, and have rolled-up edges that don't cut into the rubber.

also, you could try the Subaru Coolant Condioner , it is a type of stopleak for minor leaks. Use ONLY one bottle, ONLY per instructions.

and I wonder if a new rad cap might be a good idea, it may be possible you have just a little higher coolant system pressure if the cap isn't opening as it should?

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: