A/C blowing hot air - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A/C blowing hot air

I just got my '03 H6 VDC wagon back after it hit a deer on the front driver side. I had to get a new hood, front panel, left headlight and fog lamp. It also crushed some transmission fluid lines that run around where the deer hit it. I had to get new transmission fluid and the lines were replaced. The A/C is not working now. I had to get the R134A coolant recharged back in 03/11. Car currently has 102k miles. What should I be doing to diagnose my problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 PM

Car: 2001 Outback 2.5 with 5 Speed
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would be taking it back to them to make sure it wasn't damaged in the accident. When you turn it ON does the compressor kick on and off? Or is it just not blowing cold air?

IIRC, If a line was damaged in the accident and all of the refrigerant was leaked out of the system, the compressor would not come on at all. Its kinda like a fail safe so it doesn't burn up.

Either way I'm sure its something they over looked and hopefully a simple repair.

Summer/Toy - 1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 5 speed - Heavily Modded
- BW S256 ETT Turbo, E85, TRE Built Trans, 11 Second Car
Winter/Daily - 2001 Subaru Outback 5 Speed with Cold Weather package
- Intake Mod, Dynomax Turbo Muffler, HID H1 and Fog Lights

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 06:39 AM

A front end collision with a deer probably cracked a line in the condenser which sits in front of the radiator. The condenser may need to be replaced. Have an AC shop pressurize the system and leak test it. There is a slight chance that a plug might have been disconnected and they forgot to put it back during the repair.

2001 Subaru Outback 2.5 SOHC, AT, 117,000 miles

John
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

I checked the compressor and it will kick on when the A/C is turned on. I called the insurance company and they will get someone to look at it since it was working fine before the deer hit it. The problem is that nobody will be open until Tuesday and my insurance company is slow to get things fixed right. I am not looking forward to more mechanical issues with my car should they come up :/
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 10:00 PM

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
Quote:
Originally Posted by officer eric View Post
I checked the compressor and it will kick on when the A/C is turned on. I called the insurance company and they will get someone to look at it since it was working fine before the deer hit it. The problem is that nobody will be open until Tuesday and my insurance company is slow to get things fixed right. I am not looking forward to more mechanical issues with my car should they come up :/
Just because the compressor kicks on doesn't mean it has sufficient freon. When I got my 2004, the compressor would kick on, but it blew hot air. Recharged it and all was well (it wasn't completely empty, but was very low). For some reason, it seems that the compressor on these must run unless it's bone dry or something...pretty peculiar...most that I've seen are more sensitive than that.

In other words, there could be a slow leak of some sort and not all of the freon could have escaped yet, meaning there would be enough to run the compressor but not enough to provide cool air.

RIP Outback: 2008 3.0R LL Bean "Senior Citizen Gold" 99,150 miles

Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

I got the car back last week after sending it to a local collision shop. They said the main line that runs into the compressor was cracked. It makes sense since it was on the same side where the deer hit my car. It was replaced and my AC was recharged all on my insurance company's dime. Everything is back to normal for my poor car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: