Dreaded water pump fix - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Car: 01 Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dreaded water pump fix

Hey guys,
just wanted some second opinions on my 01 OB issues.

It is leaking from somewhere around the thermostat housing slowly, but i cant pinpoint the leak and confirm that the water-pump is the issue without taking off the timing cover.
After a 10 mile freeway daily commute the temp will shoot up 3/4 but not into the red, and only does so coasting to a stop rather than downshifting (Its a manual btw).
So this is a clear sign that its the water-pump considering without keeping the revs up an circulating the coolant it'll run hot.

Could a faulty thermostat cause this? maybe if its not opening all the way?
(i should mention its not Subaru OEM thermo, please don't shun me haha i get it)

But surely a faulty thermostat couldnt cause me to lose such a substantial amount of coolant, no?

Its not showing any sure signs of internal leakage either.

so, what do you guys think?

all replies are GREATLY appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:45 AM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Simple: Find the leak.
You can forget about the thermostat and water pump, those are not the issue.
Find the leak.

Sounds like it's an EJ25 (you should tell us which engine), those black plastic thermostat housings can crack. Cheap at the dealer and they probably have them in stock.

Hoses can leak. They can spray coolant under pressure - spray goes elsewhere making it hard to tell where it's coming from and hard to find cracks can be hard to see when cold/not under pressure. Flex the hose with your hands while looking for leaks - this may expose weak spots. Around the clamps are common too....

Coolant loss leads to overheating - add coolant at the radiator (not overflow tank). You haven't given enough information but the immediately clear item is it's overheating because it's leaking and you're not adding coolant fast enough.

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: VDC Wagon 3.0 & Outback Limited Sedan 2.5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
many aftermarkets thermostats although they look like a OEM do not flow like a OEM

a stant X stat is the only one I would use in a pinch, and then get a OEM fast out of the mail / UPS. (I live 60 miles from crooked dealers).

_____

how many miles on the car? when was the water pump last changed. (sometimes these happen during a timing belt service, as it is inside the kit, other times they just change the timing belt).

I would think in a typical car a water pump would last 180,000 miles. or 15 years....the water pump itself may work fine, but the seals give out. (and no reason to keep such a thing with that much time on it vs. something new and unused).

timing belts/ timing belt kits in a old fixer upper 2000-2004 are like time bombs without a good clock on them. (snapped belt, sudden freeze etc. in a pulley or idler. and that could more then ruin your day).

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: