Sleeper vdc - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 03 Outback H6 base
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Not the same yr/model but ran across this Ytube video. You have probably seen this but it does look petty clean. Here's the link:

Subaru Tribeca 3.0H6 supercharged walkaround.MTS - YouTube

OldStyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car: Little Red, 2000 Outback H4 "Limited"
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I lived in Amsterdam for several years and recognize the video maker's Dutch accent. In the Netherlands we would say T'Gek! (Too crazy) - If I had the H6 I'd buy one of those kits.
DavidPeab is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I'm getting keen on stuffing a rear mount turbo under my swapped H6 now. . . any chance I can get in on all this ECU flashing? Happy to chip in if there's $$$ involved.

Always parting/fixing a subie or three. . . email me if you need parts. Mostly fool with 2nd gen stuff (00-04).

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
lockmedic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStyle View Post
Not the same yr/model but ran across this Ytube video. You have probably seen this but it does look petty clean. Here's the link:

Subaru Tribeca 3.0H6 supercharged walkaround.MTS - YouTube

Yeah, been talking to Rick @ Chargertech. He thought he would be able to assist with the programming, but when he realized which PCM I was dealing with, he had suggested I find a piggyback. Piggyback or stock PCM, the MAP is the issue. The newer versions, like the one in Rick's vid, run MAF sensors.

I am working with Ed at XTreme Tuning in Barbados. He tweeks the factory settings on Subarus and works with programming modified. He owns a Subaru. I got in touch with him through Tim at Raptor.
cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car: 09 Tribeca Limited

from what i remember when i was doing research on re-flash, 00-02 legacies. would take the the change but won't hold it. meaning reset back to stock. So i am very curious if you can actually get the ecu to hold a new map. Of course that was about 5 years ago
Dodik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 01:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

"I thought about the turbos fitted downstream, but the plumbing was the major issue. The supercharger I'm installing is the Raptor VLLC, water cooled. No intercooler, won't need it as the water cooling will keep the bearing surface cool as well as the SC casing and the distance to the throttle is short. Clutched drive for more boost and a 32mm blowoff. The injectors are 410cc."

These cars have 10.7: 1 compression ratios. Yes, you DO need to run an intercooler if you are going beyond about 5 psi boost!! Intercoolers have NOTHING to do with blower bearing temperatures. They are there to reduce pre-combustion cylinder temperatures.

-Are you familiar with Corky Bell's book about supercharging? If not, then you need to find it and read it right away!

N!

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and STUPIDITY!
Normy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The reflash remains. It won't revert unless it is reflashed with the original.

The SC is centrifugal. Its more efficient and doesn't increase the air temperature band like a roots or twin screw SC or a turbo which allows for increased absorption of heat as the air passes through the unit. I understand the pressure will increase the temperature, but as yet have not seen that an intercooler addition on this setup will actually do anything more than add expense and the temperature decrease on exit will be low. I have not totally disregarded an intercooler. At this time, it is not an absolute necessity in my equations and I can always add it in later based on the information provided in logging the data.

The inlet of the blower will be less than 1' from the fender opening where the air filter will reside to draw in ambient air away from the engine compartment. The short trip to the throttle body is minimal and I will be using silicone tubing for all air plumbing for two purposes: ease of fabrication and temperature displacement/absorption. The air will not increase in temperature enough from the inlet side to outlet to justify trying to cool it, the effect will be minimal. The water cooler installation on the SC will serve two purposes: control heating of the bearing and keep the casing cooler, thus controlling the temperature of the air charge better than without. The water cooler setup I have come up with will work better than the ones utilized currently with water cooled SCs and cost for the change in design is minimal.

I have been working on this for some time. I have a list of pros/cons and possibilities after the installation involving temperature control of both air and fuel. The majority of time on this has been spent on programming and working around the voltage curve of the MAP to provide accurate measurements from idle to 7k rpm to insure proper fuel delivery. All the mechanical design is complete including what I may need to add/change after the installation. Electronics still remain and has been challenging. Even after our base map is written and loaded, changes will have to be made according to the engine's reaction.

I even thought up an air cooler design that will reduce the air temperature below ambient more effectively than using water, but I need to tweak with it mechanically and mathematically. If it turns out the way I believe it will, it will make boosted engines more efficient and powerful, as well as putting a new spin on cold air induction systems for NA engines.

Patience will make it work. I am already ahead of where I expected to be in this venture.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Car: 09 Tribeca Limited

this is great news, from what i understood you are running it stock with a modified map for the time being? If this is correct i am very curious to hear of the gains if any. Also what are your plans for exhaust system?
Dodik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 02:20 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
The reflash remains. It won't revert unless it is reflashed with the original.

The SC is centrifugal. Its more efficient and doesn't increase the air temperature band like a roots or twin screw SC or a turbo which allows for increased absorption of heat as the air passes through the unit. I understand the pressure will increase the temperature, but as yet have not seen that an intercooler addition on this setup will actually do anything more than add expense and the temperature decrease on exit will be low. I have not totally disregarded an intercooler. At this time, it is not an absolute necessity in my equations and I can always add it in later based on the information provided in logging the data.

The inlet of the blower will be less than 1' from the fender opening where the air filter will reside to draw in ambient air away from the engine compartment. The short trip to the throttle body is minimal and I will be using silicone tubing for all air plumbing for two purposes: ease of fabrication and temperature displacement/absorption. The air will not increase in temperature enough from the inlet side to outlet to justify trying to cool it, the effect will be minimal. The water cooler installation on the SC will serve two purposes: control heating of the bearing and keep the casing cooler, thus controlling the temperature of the air charge better than without. The water cooler setup I have come up with will work better than the ones utilized currently with water cooled SCs and cost for the change in design is minimal.

I have been working on this for some time. I have a list of pros/cons and possibilities after the installation involving temperature control of both air and fuel. The majority of time on this has been spent on programming and working around the voltage curve of the MAP to provide accurate measurements from idle to 7k rpm to insure proper fuel delivery. All the mechanical design is complete including what I may need to add/change after the installation. Electronics still remain and has been challenging. Even after our base map is written and loaded, changes will have to be made according to the engine's reaction.

I even thought up an air cooler design that will reduce the air temperature below ambient more effectively than using water, but I need to tweak with it mechanically and mathematically. If it turns out the way I believe it will, it will make boosted engines more efficient and powerful, as well as putting a new spin on cold air induction systems for NA engines.

Patience will make it work. I am already ahead of where I expected to be in this venture.
Ok...

So you are bound and determined to supercharge an engine with 10.7: 1 compression, and will not intercool the thing. I am assuming you've read Corky Bell's book where he talks about the intake charge reaching 1075 degrees F as a maximum during the compression stroke, otherwise damaging detonation will take place. Based upon the calculations that are talked about in his book, you can run about 4-5 psi without that intercooler max. That will give you more power, but probably not enough to justify the time, effort, and expense.

Well, hey man, that's cool- They are your pistons/cash to burn. Good luck-

N

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and STUPIDITY!
Normy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My shop has been really busy as late so the VDC work has been slim. But, I am still awaiting parts from Raptor before taking my front end apart and installing all the mechanicals, so no big deal. I have my software, tactrix, LC-1 wideband, egt, Denso 410cc injectors, electric water pump and piping. Programming is still being worked on.

Yes, I reflashed the comp with changes using the stock mechanical. Ed does this all the time for owners that want a change without modifications. My fuel mileage jumped to 27 mpg on the 2nd version, and the rev limit was increased to 7k with the 3rd version.

I am going to keep the exhaust as quiet as possible. The H6 exhaust is already large enough to handle to output load. I may have to install larger CATs to make up for the boosted levels, but again, the fuel map will tell all. If needed, I can install a pair of CATs cheap.

That's right. My money. Again Normy, the intercooler is not absolutely necessary at this time. It will not detonate with proper fuel and ignition mapping. If my math is wrong in calculating the intake temperature, an effective water/air intercooler setup is only $300 and an hour or two to install. If I blow a motor, another H6 is available. I don't own $30k+ in tools for naught. I am still working on another optional cooling system, but the practicality for mass production is out of there. If it proves well, it will be a one off for my car only, but may be duplicated with modifications for custom fitting. At this time, it only lives on paper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: