Sleeper vdc - Page 21 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #201 (permalink)

Car: DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Glad you made it to the track.

I tried to do the same this weekend -
Friday, I called & got a "track closed will be open Sat. message"
Sat., I drove 80 miles to the strip only to find it closed - so I had to head 80 miles back home with no 12s run this year...

Here is a link to my favorite HP calculator (set for RWD cars / 20% driveline loss so the crank hp numbers need a bit of tweeking for Subaru driveline losses).

Horsepower Calculator, calculate hp from et, trap speed, calculate tire diameter, mph and rear end ratio.

I estimated weight @ 3600lbs with driver & like I said previously the MPH actually tells more about the cars power than the time (stock 4eat = slow launcher = slower ET, high stall converter + a worked valvebody will take about 1 second off of the 1/4 mile time on turbo Subarus).
susiemk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #202 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Its more of a get up and go faster on the expressway kinda car. 60-100 is **** quick.

The torque converter lock up speed slows my launch.

In the run with the red Camaro, if I'd had another 1/16 mile, I would have passed it. I was catching up.
cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #203 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
Its more of a get up and go faster on the expressway kinda car. 60-100 is **** quick.

The torque converter lock up speed slows my launch.

In the run with the red Camaro, if I'd had another 1/16 mile, I would have passed it. I was catching up.
I know what you mean as I have a 4eat '94 Legacy SS (Turbo) with a EJ20G swap & launching is its weakness.

When I took it to the dragstrip it ran 14.50 @ 96.96MPH in the 1/4 mile on a stock longblock EJ20G + all of the bolt ons (FMIC, 3" TBE, Intake), TD04 turbo @ 15psi, 3450lbs weight - 60' time was the problem with mid 2's being the average on no brake torque 700rpm idle launches.

I actually got a high stall toqure converter for it as well as a manual shift controller but have not had a chance to put them on.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #204 (permalink)
Super Moderator

What are you doing, staring at them in deep contemplation? Put em on.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #205 (permalink)

Too many projects not enough time -

I have to play with my kids
+
I have to go to work
+
I'm concentrating on the OBS-t as it is almost in the 12's so I've been getting all of the suspension / brake crap I have for it on it
+
I'm trying to eek out a bit more HP from my buddy's drag car I tune, initial goal was running 8's but now I'm trying to get it into the 7's (best 1/4mile run is 8.41@161, but runs in the 8.40's like a clock - I'm thinking e85 + 5" exhaust + a ring & pinion swap should get me there on current BW s475 turbo - its a 2250lb, 1.3 liter (80 cu/in) 13b powered car making about 730whp / 876 chp @ a low 34psi of boost)
+
I'd love to get the car to 840 whp / 1000+chp - 1000hp is a nice round number to tell folks
+
I'm lazy

If you can get your hands on a t-converter from your wagon IPT will modifiy it - this may be enough to get you into the 13's!

? if Trans-go makes a v-body kit for your year 4eat (this will probably fix "the problem" the runt felt), if they dont IPT can do that too (expensive though) - they definately have performance 4eat rebuid kits for Subaru 4eat's...
Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #206 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That 2-3 shift is strange. It doesn't do it all the time. And the transmission doesn't try to make the shift at the same rpm consistently with my foot on the floor.

Shifts normal otherwise. I did have an idea I am going to try. See if it makes a change in the 2-3.

Never made a high rpm 3-4. I always have to let off the throttle. Fastest straight line run so far has been about 122 mph in 3rd with plenty of room to 7000 rpm. I don't know what the top speed is on this thing. I plan on taking it to the Texas Mile next spring to find out.

I do know that even at 122, it rides smooooooooth.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:44 AM   #207 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed

Saw ring and piston swap, then saw 13b asked myself that's not right? Then retread your post susiemk and all became clear, what do you have the rotor in.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #208 (permalink)

Car: 2003, obs, h6, 150k

if im ever near austin texas I would love to see this machine. awesome thread, i enjoy coming and reading this forum and thread on my breaks at work! keep up the great work cardoc.
mchance1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #209 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf99 View Post
Saw ring and piston swap, then saw 13b asked myself that's not right? Then retread your post susiemk and all became clear, what do you have the rotor in.
Just saw this sorry for the late reply

I was talking about a ring & pinion swap in the rear differential for a different final drive ratio.

My bud is an old school import drag-racer from Puerto Rico & has 2 KP61 Toyota Starlets with Rotary swaps.

"Fast" car is a simple old school back half'd ladder bar car with a G-Force 2000 sequential dogbox transmission, spec triple disc minilite clutch, PP 13b homemade from a $100 donor 6-port 13b, ford 9" rear, smallish 12" tires - again best 1/4 mile time 8.41 @ 161.50MPH...

"Slow" car has everything above except is on a 70's toyota celica 5 speed transmission, has a cheap clutchnet PP & custom single disc, has a chevy 12bolt rear, & small 10" wide tires - its best 13b 1/4 mile time is 9.78 @ 141+ MPH (ran 9.97 @ 133MPH on a pp12a)

Everything is fab'd, built, or tuned by myself and/or my buddy - he is an excellent welder with a gift for porting/polishing / fabricating, while I have alot of patience when it comes to getting all clearances perfect on rebuilds / new builds & can tune the cars w/o too much drama.
I also spec the cars out in terms of combinations of turbo, I/C , exhaust, CR, fuel, ecu, etc + I have fun eeking out that last bit of performance out of these cars by learning more on suspension tuning, wheelie bar heights, tire pressures etc...

Trying to talk him into E85 (available near one of the dragstrips we use) but he is stuck on VP race fuel @ the moment.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #210 (permalink)
Super Moderator

We are bored today at the shop. Got the car dusted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: