Sleeper vdc - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

you could boost your fuel's octane with toluene or xylene.

just don't forget!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I have access to jet fuel at a local executive airport just a few miles from the shop. It even has a card reader. Swipe and pump. One gallon please.

Got the e-mail today that all my SC parts are on their way out of Australia. Should see them next Wed/Thurs if shipping goes well. I will post as many pics as I can so everyone keeping track can see the work in progress. Hopefully the programming will be ready by the time I get everything installed. 5,000 lines of data to go through for reverse engineering isn't a small task. With the weekend repair traffic I get, I probably won't start on it until the following Monday or so, so don't expect anything for a couple weeks. Gonna tie up a bay for few days once I get started.
cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #23 (permalink)

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Just because I'm picky: "Jet" (as in turbojet--an external combustion engine) fuel is essentially kerosene.

High octane av-gas for piston mills is a different product entirely. . . And probably what you were referring to.

Always parting/fixing a subie or three. . . email me if you need parts. Mostly fool with 2nd gen stuff (00-04).

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
lockmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Keeping it simple. Good to know there are others out there that actually study to learn.

For those of you just reading the post, you can not put large quantities of this fuel in your tanks. And I would suggest that if you even think about it, do the math first. Don't blow your engines. And its not for cruising around.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #25 (permalink)

Car: DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normy View Post
Ok...

So you are bound and determined to supercharge an engine with 10.7: 1 compression, and will not intercool the thing. I am assuming you've read Corky Bell's book where he talks about the intake charge reaching 1075 degrees F as a maximum during the compression stroke, otherwise damaging detonation will take place. Based upon the calculations that are talked about in his book, you can run about 4-5 psi without that intercooler max. That will give you more power, but probably not enough to justify the time, effort, and expense.

Well, hey man, that's cool- They are your pistons/cash to burn. Good luck-

N
I'm not a fan of superchargers, but am a boost junkie that is familiar with raptor s/c (they started selling intercooled & non-intercooled S/C kits for ej cars a long time ago on RS25.com). I've turbo'd quite a few cars, here are some real life observations I've made on my turbo conversions - OP good luck on the s/c conversion!

5psi can be very noticable on a high compression engine set-up - check out my MAP ej22 turbo parts list on RS25.com - I actually have a link to dyno runs of a stock longblock MAP ej16 that @ just 5psi made an additional 48ish WHP / 50+WTQ (went from like 80whp stock to 120whp @ 5psi(basically 1.5 times the stock power) & a number of OBS / EJ22 guys have used my parts list/advice to boost their ej22's...

I've measured similar gains on my own MAP ej222 @ 4.5psi & generally have come to expect about 10WHP per psi of boost added to a high compression 4 cyl engine when set-up properly.
I'd expect about 15WHP per psi on a 6cyl / 75whp @ 5psi on turbo'd car with a good tune, curious as to what the s/c will make in terms of power per psi of boost but I think raptor had dyno charts of ej 4cyls @ 5psi posted on RS25 a while back.

As far as intercooling I personally could not run over 7psi on my 10:1 CR 4cyl without detonation using a OEM WRX TMIC & had to use methanol injection to get the car to safely increase boost (My wagon has been turbo'd since 2004 & my initial goal was to safely run 5psi on the stock longblock which eventually was met & exceeded - like on the 2nd week of boost)
susiemk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanks, will do. The programming is becoming a major headache. I may have to piggyback and tune both comps at the same time.

As for how its going.......

I am still awaiting another Wideband from Innovate with gauges. I decided it may be a good idea to keep track of both banks even though the ignition is new and new injectors are going in and the engine runs balanced now. Doing dual widebands would come in handy later if a misfire or fuel issue pops up. I still have a lot of plumbing to do, remount the PS reservoir, drop the pipes to weld in the bungs for 3 additional sensors (EGT is the 3rd). I got a triple gauge A-pillar that fits an Impreza that I will modify to fit my pillar to hold the WB and EGT. Boost gauge will be mounted in a yet undetermined location. I may be able to make a clean mount for the dash.

I am dropping off the two bumper skins tomorrow for paint and I will fix the bumper myself. Two lower skin brackets from Subaru ($12.00 each) will be delivered before the bumpers are completed along with the needed plastic retainers and upper skin to fender retainers. I have been dealing with rust. The car spent most of its life just outside Boston. I had to cut out 3 of the 4 upper retainers. **** snow and salt.....

I will post video on You Tube. Try to tomorrow. Have to see how busy the shop gets. Got a 5.7 out of a Caddi now and the heads are to be delivered in the am. But my helper is working that one with close supervision.
Attached Thumbnails
Sleeper vdc-sc-10.jpg   Sleeper vdc-sc-100.jpg   Sleeper vdc-sc-103.jpg   Sleeper vdc-sc-105.jpg   Sleeper vdc-sc-106.jpg  

Sleeper vdc-sc-107.jpg   Sleeper vdc-sc-109.jpg   Sleeper vdc-sc-111.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #28 (permalink)

Car: DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH

Why do you need 2 widebands?

I recently upgraded to a Zeitronix Wideband data logging system but tuned by EGT for years prior to installing the wideband & still tune my buddies drag cars on EGT (we've run a best time of 8.41s @ 161 MPH in the 1/4 mile running 34psi of boost - estimated WHP is about 730WHP, we've run 9.78 @ 140mph on the slow car running a smaller GT45 turbo @ a itty-bitty 18psi on a pig rich tune).

I started off with an EGT probe place about 2-3" from the e-port on 1 bank of CYLs on my OBS-t, I installed an additional EGt gauge / probe to moniter EGTs for both bank of CYLs making sure the hotter bank was still within my EGT limits.

Last addition was the wideband as they were pricey when I initally boosted my car, in retrospect my zeitronix set-up would have saved me money on a EGT gauge & boost gauge as it is a 5 in 1 gauge / data-logger.

The wideband allowed me to safely refine my fueling as it is quicker to respond to changes than the EGTs (lean conditions take a bit of time to register on a Pyrometer) the combination of both wideband & EGT monitering give you the data needed to tune safely & properly.
susiemk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It was a mediocre busy day at the shop so I didn't get much done. Tim at Raptor thinks I am moving along fairly quickly for all the changes I am making under the hood. Its a good thing really. I get interrupted while working on the Outback but it changes my thinking and actually helps.

Two widebands for a couple reasons: They react instantly and if a problem occurs, I will have an actual total of 4 AF sensors; 2 for the ECM and 2 for logging/tuning/diagnostics, an EGT and several other temperature sensors to assist in diagnosing the issue. The more information available, the quicker a problem is resolved.

So today, I got the brakes bled/flushed out to remove the air from the system that got in when I disconnected the ABS for relocation. And, as you can see in the pics, I got the power steering reservoir mounted to the rear of the engine compartment and utilized the cruise control actuator bracket to remount the reservoir, looped the return hose around the ABS motor/module to insure no kinks, and the feed hose runs along the fender rail to the pump.

The air inlet and filter was also mounted. I had to cut away a section of the fender to allow for pass through without stressing the coupler and smoothed the edge with sandpaper. I was off with my calculations for the filter setup when I ordered my parts, so I had to use a couple Spectre elbows to get the fit correct.

First crank video and it sounds great.
Attached Thumbnails
Sleeper vdc-sc-112.jpg   Sleeper vdc-sc-113.jpg   Sleeper vdc-sc-114.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #30 (permalink)

Car: 2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

So, you gonna take it to a wet parking lot when its done and show us some nice 4 wheel power drifts?

Are you keeping the fogs?
The inner fender does get some air, and from what I can see most of it comes from the back of the fog light socket. If this is meant to be pretty much a street machine, you could just take out the fogs. You could mount the intercooler in the other fender, and let the other fog housing supply the cool air for that.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: