What engine will fit my 2001 Outback? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default What engine will fit my 2001 Outback?

I have a 2001 Outback Wagon with the 2.5 and a 5 speed. Last week without warning it threw a rod through the block. So now I have a fist size hole in the top of my engine, still runs but not very good. I really like the car and have owned it since new so would rather fix it.

The salvage yard is saying that a used engine from a 01 5 speed is the only one that will fit. All engines within 300 miles of me like that have 200 plus K on them and they want 700-1200 for one.

Now I have a fried that has a wrecked 2004 forester with really low miles. He said that if I pull the motor I can have it. So will a 04 Forester 2.5 Auto motor work?

Mike
Boysatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Just this guy, you know.

Car: 2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.

Have you looked into a JDM engine? These are engines with about 40,000 miles imported from Japan due to their strict emissions laws. Ask around you local mechanics if anyone would be willing to install one of those for you.

JDM Engine Corp Subaru Engines
Startiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

in a very general sense, I'd say you could make that Forester engine work with little to 'moderate' hassle.

I hope some of the gurus will respond.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

The only difference between the auto and manual is the sensors, and you can swap those from the blown engine to the new one. Swapping the complete harness assembly is gravy.

And yes, JDM Engine is a good source. Just look up a 2.5 on his site. They give warranty on Engines and Transmissions. Also have body parts/panels.

Other than them Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market & LKQ.
cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boysatt View Post
Now I have a fried that has a wrecked 2004 forester with really low miles. He said that if I pull the motor I can have it. So will a 04 Forester 2.5 Auto motor work?

Mike
yes - any 2000-2004 EJ25 should work.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

A few things that may be different:

Crankcase vent stub at the back of the engine that is attached to the short block varies from one year/trans type to another. Pipe diameters change but it's usually nothing you can't overcome with some creative use of hoses and tees.

Cam/crank timing belt sprockets are different. I put a 2002 AT engine in a 2001 5-speed and had to swap those as the trigger pattern is different. Sensors are the same, but the pattern is different and the car won't run if you don't use your old cam/crank gears. Left cam only, right cam doesn't have a sensor. They bolt right on.

Intake is different over the years but they all bolt on. . . just keep in mind the above issue with the crankcase vent.

Always parting/fixing a subie or three. . . email me if you need parts. Mostly fool with 2nd gen stuff (00-04).

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
lockmedic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

Has your car ever had headgaskets replaced or overheated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boysatt View Post

Mike
Nice hit (yes a pun)! Get that motor now!!

If yours has EGR make sure this one has EGR as well.
If yours doesn't have EGR then it'll work either way.
I'm unsure if there are differences but it's an easy check.

Some intakes differ, just swap your intake hoses/set up onto the new motor. Or the entire intake manifold if you have to, they are intechangeable and bolt right up.

Some 00-04 EJ25's have differing trigger points on the cam and crank sprockets. Simply swap the sprockets and that's it, motors are identical in every other way. Very easy swap. I haven't narrowed down which motors this applies to and why some are different but it's definitely a 00-04 thing, somewhere in that range.

Nearing 10 years old I'd be installing a new timing belt, tensioner, and pulleys while it's out (ebay kits are only like $160 - $180 for the above). If you do that, just swap the cam and crank sprockets to be sure.

In the end you can definitely swap your heads and intake onto that 04 block for sure. So either way it will work for you and is a great fit.

A used EJ25 with known history (low mileage, probably never overheated) is hitting the lottery in motor world, particularly with the EJ25's propensity towards headgasket issues and overheating.

With the motor out you could even entertain the idea of installing new headgaskets now, the SOHC EJ25's are actually fairly simple.

A more general response to your question:
99 Forester/Impreza RS and all 2000-2004 EJ25's should work.
99+ 2.2 liters work as well if you get the exhaust manifold with them.

Now that I've helped you, are your old heads available?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you don't want your friend's Forester motor, pass his info on and we'll fight over it :-)

Always parting/fixing a subie or three. . . email me if you need parts. Mostly fool with 2nd gen stuff (00-04).

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well I am going to pull that motor then and make it fit. I am a GM mechanic so these are a bit different to work on. Never had to get into it anymore than regular maintenance. My car made it this whole time with no head gasket problems or really any mechanical issues.

I had been doing research on the internet and found most 2.5s are similar, but had small issues.

He has more Subaru's too. He has a 98 and 99 legacys with the DOHC motors too that run great and good 5 speed trans.
Boysatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

You won't want to go back to working on GM's after wrenching on a Subaru.

When R&R'ing the motor, go ahead and pull the left side axle. Easy enough to do and makes getting at the bottom two bolt/nuts holding the engine to the trans a whole lot easier. No need to pull the right side axle as you can get to all the bolts from the top. . . steering linkage gets in the way on the left side tho so gotta get those from the bottom.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: