High Mileage H6 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default High Mileage H6

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but not new to forums. I come from many years on thenewx...Xterra forum. On to the question..

I am looking at 2nd gen Outbacks and found a high mileage (180k) '02 OBH6 with all the fixin's (including VDC, I believe). They are asking 5.5k, but I have no intention of paying close to that. (The ex/int look GREAT)

How is the reliability of the 3.0? I've read that the timing chain guides(?) need replaced often and the bearing for the serp belt. Is there anything I should be really concerned about with that much mileage? Would you hesitate buying one with mileage like that?

Living in Colorado, it seems almost everything thing around here is at least 150k+ miles. Since everyone is asking $4500+ I assume these truely are tanks that will run with good maintenance. Any input for a Suby noob?

Thanks
Blue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback H4 5 speed manual

The H6's are known to be very reliable high mileage cars. I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage. Check the rear quarter panels and wheel wells for rust and see if there's a service history (Head gaskets are a known issue, but mainly with the H4's the H6's are better in this regard). Other than that, it sounds like a good car. I'm not american though, so I can't comment on the asking price.
arth33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

H6 isn't known for HG issues at all by the way.

The old H6 does need premium fuel in heavy load situations ie high speed long road trips - mountain driving - towing etc. Low stress stuff it runs on regular gas just fine.
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mileage isn't stellar don't expect to get 25+mpg for daily around town use more like 25+mpg for highway on cruise control 70mph and under.
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2001 Outback Wagon VDC H6

I bought my '01 VDC H6 with 225,000 on it. It's in great shape, and was very well cared for by the previous owner who put 214,000 of those miles on it. I paid $3,300 at a dealer, which is very fair around here.
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5i Ltd.

Hey Blue Leader another Colorado resident here. I have a 2002 H6 with 165,000 on it. My nephew is a mechanic and said there is no problems with H6 except normal wear and tear. I'm getting 24 miles to the gallon combined driving and I never use premium gas. I paid $5,000.00 for it. 1 owner with very good history on it.
fosterick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nice, thanks for the replys. Supposedly the vehichle lived in Alabama for its first 145k. Then moved to Iowa for the next 40k. 2 owner. No maint history sadly, but if it looks as clean as it does, they didn't seem to abuse the thing.

How in depth of a pre-sale inspection should I get? Sounds like maybe just visual inspection and fluids?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

The '00-'04 H6 has head gasket problems about as often as any other car not know for the issue, for example counting the 2 subaru forums I have been on for a for years now there are maybe 3 cases.
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5i Ltd.

Check for rust. Being the car lived in Iowa and they use salt in the winter time there.
fosterick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh I know about the rust. I'm from Iowa originally. Going back for Thanksgiving and looking at cars while there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: