O2 extender - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default O2 extender

Anybody have a link or pert number of the correct O2 extender for the front O2 sensor? I've done a lot of the other things to deal with the P0420 code and now I want to try the extender. Tried a search in this forum but nothing helpful came up. Found this on Ebay but I have no idea if it's the right one. Oxygen Sensor O2 Spacer 18mm Thread M18 x 1 5 Extender Universal 46mm Long | eBay
jgjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

are you sure you want to run that extender on the FRONT sensor?

did you read thru here?; http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...0420-diag.html
Old 11-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Lucky Texan View Post
are you sure you want to run that extender on the FRONT sensor?

did you read thru here?; http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...0420-diag.html

Well that's what my memory was telling me, but since I didn't know for sure and the search engine on here let me down I started a thread to get some helpful info. If it's supposed to be the rear O2 for the extender that's some good info. It's also a cheap thing to try so it's up there high on the list of things to try. Changing the thermostat and bottom radiator hose was already in the back of my head as things that need replacing. Upper hose sprung a leak 2 yrs ago and was replaced.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH

2 spark plug antifoulers on the rear o2 sensor will kill the po420 - #1 is left alone #2 is drilled out to allow the o2 sensor to thread in.
susiemk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Why would you want to treat something you depend on daily in such a manner?

You may get the light off, but you will not correct the problem. Taking the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream is not a good idea.

You need to find what the problem is before it gets worse. If your engine is not performing as its designed and you have a high amount of HC, you will end up clogging the CAT which creates a lot of backpressure to the engine, creating higher engine loads and loss of power. Not to mention potential damage to internal parts.

Find the problem. Don't mask it. You can't sweep it under the carpet and forget it.

If you have been relying on a shop to find the problem and have been spending money only to be right back at the start, then find someone who knows what they are doing who can get to the issue and correct it.

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
Why would you want to treat something you depend on daily in such a manner?

You may get the light off, but you will not correct the problem. Taking the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream is not a good idea.

Why would Subaru treat it's customers this way?! How about building a car with a computer that actually told you what was wrong with it when you put a scanner on it because the check engine light came on.
I generally try to do stuff like this myself. There is no shop involved especially now while I'm laid off again. Several months ago I changed the PCV valve and the light stayed off for a while. I was just starting to think that was it when it came back on (right after the wife put gas in it). Maybe it's the gas every time, I don't know. This is a irritant that shouldn't exist. I'll be replacing the thermostat, lower hose and coolant if need and put in new spark plugs. And then we'll see how long the light takes to come again.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

as frustrated as you are, NO car's diagnostic system can tell you what component to change. Subaru is no better ,no worse in this respect than other car makers.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Lucky Texan View Post
as frustrated as you are, NO car's diagnostic system can tell you what component to change. Subaru is no better ,no worse in this respect than other car makers.
Exactly

There is no way a computer is going to know the several aspects of engine performance and know what to pinpoint when it is a mechanical issue. It only sees what the sensors, and not just the O2 or AF, send back to it. It is up to someone like me to find what is causing the problem.

Installing these bungs into the exhaust is like putting away a stale steak and forgetting about it. It will grow into something far worse.

I understand your frustrations, but spending time and money on a patch could lead to larger issues.

Yes, gasoline will cause the code. Run the tank down and fill it up with a major oil company fuel and see what happens.
cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well you guys talked me out of the extenders, at least for now. I did change the spark plugs. Wasn't thinking that will have any affect on this issue. But the engine does start easier and maybe idle smoother. It may have been over due. How often are (now platinum) plugs to be changed on these engines?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

at 64k or so, the original plugs in my 03 looked like they could go another 20-30k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: