Need some advice - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2014 Carbide Gray Outback with Alloy Wheel Pkg.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Need some advice

So I think I am very reluctantly going to have to sell my 2013. I am going to be buying a house and getting married at some point and I have a lot of equity in my 2013. I really, really love this car, but I think it's something that needs to be done.

Anyway, I need to get another car and I know I want it to be another Outback. I am setting my budget for $7k and I think I want a 2000-2004. What are the main issues to look for with the except of them headgaskets? When are the belts due?

Also, for those of you have that have had both, what is the difference in gas mileage between the 4 cyl and H6? I really like 6 cylinders and the quietness of the H6, but I'm really worried about gas mileage especially since I'll be on a tight budget for about a year and I've also been on gas mileage kick the past couple years. Are there any big issues with the H6'S to keep an eye out for? I'm looking for a car with under 75k since I need it to last a good 3 years...atleast.

Another reason I am considering an H6 is because while I'm ok with a base outback, I really prefer the huge moonroof and some nicer features. It seems like the L.L. Bean's around here go for a similiar price or cheaper than a 4 cylinder.

I'm very undecided which way to go, so I figured some of you could help me out.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!
Carlvr87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds to me like you need to think a few years ahead and that it wasn't happening just a couple months back?

Your lucky we are in a very strong used car market you might get lucky and only loose $1000 bucks or so. Buying an old used car for $7000?

I've decided after buying many used cars that the best used cars are cars owned by financially secure types who fix them at the dealer. Some of the best used cars I've had where high end older cars that were in mint condition even though they were old. Older Lexus ride with snow tires for $7000 will probably be far better choice over a used and poorly cared for Subaru.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

My relationship was very weird, not necessarily in a bad way but no, this wasn't happening when I bought my car.

I agree with your statement. I plan to buy private party or from a subie dealer. I have a good relationship with my subaru dealer(i've purchased 3 and referred 2 people), so I'm hoping they get something. They are in an affluent area with older people and they usually get low mileage trades.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box

Don't worry too much about the gas mileage between the H4 and H6.

The gas mileage on my H6 tends to be within about 1-2 MPG of my mom's 2001 H4 sedan or our other two '98 H4s (Outback Limited and Legacy GT Wagons), maybe 3 MPG different on pure highway at the absolute most. In the colder months, the difference is even smaller. I'd say the average difference is about 1.5 MPG.

Timing belt on the H4 is due every 105k, serpentine belts for both engines (H4 has two, H6 has one that drives everything) are due every 60k, but they're not as critical since they obviously won't trash the engine if they snap, but they're so simple and cheap to change it's crazy to run old ones.

I really like the H6 over the H4, not just for power, but the butter-smooth engine makes it feel like a much nicer car. Also, no HG woes on the H6 if you're looking at a 2nd gen. They're tougher to find, though!

Also worth mentioning that they did make plenty of limited H4 cars. My mom's '01 Outback sedan is a limited and I think the only option it's missing that my LL Bean has is the auto-dimming rear view mirror, and of course it has just the one sunroof.

For that amount, I think you should be able to find a very solid '03 or '04 H6 (or H4 if you're inclined to go that way) without a problem. I paid $7300 for my '04 LL Bean with 107k on the clock almost a year and a half ago.

Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4
jp1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1203 View Post
Don't worry too much about the gas mileage between the H4 and H6.

The gas mileage on my H6 tends to be within about 1-2 MPG of my mom's 2001 H4 sedan or our other two '98 H4s (Outback Limited and Legacy GT Wagons), maybe 3 MPG different on pure highway at the absolute most. In the colder months, the difference is even smaller. I'd say the average difference is about 1.5 MPG.

Timing belt on the H4 is due every 105k, serpentine belts for both engines (H4 has two, H6 has one that drives everything) are due every 60k, but they're not as critical since they obviously won't trash the engine if they snap, but they're so simple and cheap to change it's crazy to run old ones.

I really like the H6 over the H4, not just for power, but the butter-smooth engine makes it feel like a much nicer car. Also, no HG woes on the H6 if you're looking at a 2nd gen. They're tougher to find, though!

Also worth mentioning that they did make plenty of limited H4 cars. My mom's '01 Outback sedan is a limited and I think the only option it's missing that my LL Bean has is the auto-dimming rear view mirror, and of course it has just the one sunroof.

For that amount, I think you should be able to find a very solid '03 or '04 H6 (or H4 if you're inclined to go that way) without a problem. I paid $7300 for my '04 LL Bean with 107k on the clock almost a year and a half ago.

Very informative! thank you! I like the smoothness of a 6 cylinder(I haven't had one since 2010 when I traded my 08 santa fe). If the gas mileage difference isn't that big, then I may go for the 6. Driving around here is about as "city" as it gets. Lots of stop and go with traffic lights, so that's why i worry. Driving up near work is much better.

There are plenty of base 4 cylinders around, but they seem to command a price almost as much as some of the H6's I've seen. I wouldn't mind a 4 cylinder limited, but not only are they few and far between around here, but they are more expensive than the L.L.Bean's!

I think your post may have taken away some of the worrys of the H6. The search continues!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlvr87 View Post
Very informative! thank you! I like the smoothness of a 6 cylinder(I haven't had one since 2010 when I traded my 08 santa fe). If the gas mileage difference isn't that big, then I may go for the 6. Driving around here is about as "city" as it gets. Lots of stop and go with traffic lights, so that's why i worry. Driving up near work is much better.

There are plenty of base 4 cylinders around, but they seem to command a price almost as much as some of the H6's I've seen. I wouldn't mind a 4 cylinder limited, but not only are they few and far between around here, but they are more expensive than the L.L.Bean's!

I think your post may have taken away some of the worrys of the H6. The search continues!
One other thing I forgot to mention...the 2nd gen H6 engine "recommends" (but doesn't require) premium gas. I always run 91 or 93 octane in mine...ran 87 once and I felt like it had slightly less power, but it may have been my imagination. I think many H6 owners on here run regular gas without a problem, I just don't bother because there isn't a huge price difference and my last vehicle also recommended premium so there was no change for me.

Also, the banner in my signature shows a log of my gas mileage for the last 18,000 miles or so. 21.9 MPG is my running average. Most of that is a combination of city and highway driving.

Current Vehicle:
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

hm, I would probably run regular. There is a 20-30 cent difference here.

I am currently looking for a car online now and I came across this. Subaru : Outback AWD Wagon in Subaru | eBay Motors

This price is crazy! This car is actually 5 minutes from me.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlvr87 View Post
hm, I would probably run regular. There is a 20-30 cent difference here.

I am currently looking for a car online now and I came across this. Subaru : Outback AWD Wagon in Subaru | eBay Motors

This price is crazy! This car is actually 5 minutes from me.
While that car does look about mint, there's no way they'll get anywhere near 14k! I could probably easily find a really clean Outback 4 or 5 years newer with similar mileage and the same features for that price.

Current Vehicle:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: