P0420 Solved for now - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for the replies. I am only getting the P2096 and the P0137 when I have the anti-foulers installed. When they are installed, I don't get the P0420 code. As soon as I take them out, I start getting the P2096 and P0137 codes. I will read up on the other posts, but toro168 seems to have had the exact problem as I am having, so I will probably give the diode a shot. I recently replaced the rear 02 sensor and experienced the same results. I am in Oregon and we don't have to go through inspections where I live, so I am not too concerned about that. Any ideas on how much an aftermarket CAT runs for a 2008 outback?
Kalamen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

08? See, knowing the year and models helps. Call your dealership and give them your VIN and check on the ECM update to correct a P0420 and a CAT recall. If you are under 80k, its covered under the emission warranty. Even if you are higher, you should be covered.

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 2001 Outback Wagon VDC H6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
08? See, knowing the year and models helps. Call your dealership and give them your VIN and check on the ECM update to correct a P0420 and a CAT recall. If you are under 80k, its covered under the emission warranty. Even if you are higher, you should be covered.
In his defense, he did say "I am having the exact same issue on my wife's 08 subaru outback." It was the post right before yours.
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

I tried going to the dealership first and they did install an update to the ECU. However, since the car has 86K on it, they said the cat was no longer under warranty. As another note, the CEL will typically only come on every a few hundred miles, so whatever fault it is sensing, it doesn't happen that often.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car: 05 LL Bean Outback Wagon

I would contact SoA and complain to them, this is a known issue and you are not that far past the 80,000!
signage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I tend to speed read the post.

I'll look it up concerning the CAT. As for it being an intermittent code, thermostat, type of gas, PCV or faulty rear sensor. The CAT could be deteriorating slowly and it's unable to store oxygen to assist in re burning and converting the HCs.

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW, '08 Toyota Sienna

This may be more than you want to read, but I thought some of you with P0420 issues might want to know more about it.

An Engineers Perspective on the P0420 Catalytic Efficiency code
Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #18 (permalink)

Car: 2001 Outback Wagon VDC H6

Mine finally popped up again last night after being out for almost a month since last clearing. I just pulled freeze frame data:

Fuel Sys 1 CL
Fuel Sys 2 CL
Calc Load (%) 22.4
ECT(F) 190
STFT B1 (%) -3.9
LTFT B1 (%) 9.4
STFT B2 (%) -3.9
LTFT B2 (%) 7.8
MAP(inHg) 18.3
Eng RPM 2105
Veh Speed (mph) 57

I should note: I was out of town over the weekend, and I got gas from a "Bob's Quick Mart" or something like that, but the light didn't pop up until I was nearing the end of that gas, a little before the low fuel light came on.

We don't have many choices around here for tier 1 gas. There's a Sunoco station about 5 miles away, but the rest around here is typically Sheetz (a huge monopoly of a station in my town), and they're known for using the cheapest gas they can buy.
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks for the link to the article. It was an interesting read. I will replace the thermostat since it doesn't cost much to give it a shot. The only other item besides the cat on your list is gas type. We typically only put 87 in there, although I know it calls for higher octane. Do you think that is the probable cause? Also, do you think an 02 sensor stimulator would eliminate the CEL from coming on, although obviously it would not solve the issue?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

I talked to Subaru of America today, and they simply said that it is not under warranty anymore, even though I complained that it is a common problem, etc. The funny thing is that she stated they have an extended warranty of 150k for the cat in several states (California, New York and a few others) for the 2008 year, but since I live in Oregon and they didn't adopt the increased emission restrictions until 2009, I only get the 80k warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: