P0420 Solved for now - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback Limited 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default P0420 Solved for now

Hi All,

My P0420 code started this past February and it has been driving me crazy. I started with replacing the pcv, code still there, then I used the Seafoam method. That cleared the code for a few weeks just enough to help me pass my inspection in August. After that the code has been coming on persistently. I don't have drive-ability issue, the car runs like a champ, no lost of gas mileage whatsoever when the code is on.

So this past 3 weeks I have been dedicated my time to chasing this problem. I cleaned the EGR, my throttle body, flushed the radiator fluid, check the thermostat..no go. Replaced the spark plugs, new spark plugs wire. Tried the anti-fouler, first using 1 then using 2, that made it worst, throw me 3 more codes P2096 and P2098, and P0137. So I took the anti fouler off. Replaced the front sensor with Subaru/Denso sensor..no go, replaced the rear sensors with Subaru/Denso sensors, no go. I called the dealer, they wanted $2600 to replace the cat, not going to spend that much money on an 04 with 146K miles. So before I replace the cat converter which we all know is expensive even if I do it myself, I threw a hail mary and tried the diode hack. Viola!!!

It has been 3 days now with 6 drive cycles and no check engine light, all system back to ready when I checked it this morning with my code reader. Finger crossed. Here is the link to the hack

2000 Subaru Outback P0420 Electrical Hack Dan's Toolbox

Sorry for the long post and I hope this will help others that are having the same problem as me.
toro168 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

This is the "fix" used when an engine is tuned for high boost levels and rich fuel mixtures with catalytic converters removed from the exhaust system to trick the computer into thinking the cat is there and functioning.

No offense, but all you accomplished was tricking the ECM. You still have a problem and at some point, it will rear its head.

Have you looked at http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...0420-diag.html ?
cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
This is the "fix" used when an engine is tuned for high boost levels and rich fuel mixtures with catalytic converters removed from the exhaust system to trick the computer into thinking the cat is there and functioning.

No offense, but all you accomplished was tricking the ECM. You still have a problem and at some point, it will rear its head.

Have you looked at http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...0420-diag.html ?
Hi cardoc,

no offense taken. i did read and watch your post before i started chasing this down, very helpful. i did most of the items you mentioned like tune up, checking my oil, replacing the radiator fluid, checking exhaust leak etc etc and none of these fix the code.i wish we have tech like you up here in NH. i did call the dealer to ask them for diagnostic but they said all they do it hook it up to a computer and watch the graph or some sort to determine but they are very adamant about replacing the cat.

i am hoping to find an indie subaru repair shop to get this check out and i am also hoping / crossing my finger to have save enough money in another month or two to trade it in and get the new Crosstrek.

i do appreciate your post on the P0420 diagnostic, which is very helpful
Old 12-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: O3 Sub Outback Wagon 2.5L AWD 4EAT w/ All-weather Package

Just a quick note on P0420, I had this code just before the P0032 (bad heater on forward O2 sensor) took over eliminating P0420.
03 Subaru Outback
Peterboro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH

For some reason my OBS-t would not go into ready mode with an electricic CEL "fix".
So
I've used 2 spark plug non-foulers on the REAR o2 sensor (1 untouched screwed into the exhaust then 1 drilled out to allow the rear o2 sensor to thread into it (2 have to be used together to eliminate the cel)) for many years & get no CEL + all systems are "ready".

This has worked on EVERY car I've tried it on - Hondas, Toyotas, Various Subarus.
susiemk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey Toro168, thanks for the post. I am having the exact same issue on my wife's 08 subaru outback. I had the P0420, installed the anti-fouler, and then started getting the P2096 and the P0137 which is what brought me to your post. I am going to give this a shot, but have a few questions. Has your CEL stayed off since the fix? Also, I was thinking about just taking out the rear O2 sensor and installing the diode on its wire in the engine bay. Is that where you installed it, or did you go back inside the car and do it there? Thanks!
Kalamen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalamen View Post
Hey Toro168, thanks for the post. I am having the exact same issue on my wife's 08 subaru outback. I had the P0420, installed the anti-fouler, and then started getting the P2096 and the P0137 which is what brought me to your post. I am going to give this a shot, but have a few questions. Has your CEL stayed off since the fix? Also, I was thinking about just taking out the rear O2 sensor and installing the diode on its wire in the engine bay. Is that where you installed it, or did you go back inside the car and do it there? Thanks!
In your case, you can buy the diode and spend the time to splice it in, get the anti-fouler and work that in the exhaust, or you could check the O2 sensor fuse, SBF5 in the relay box, the O2 relay itself to make sure it is working and if these are good, just buy a new rear O2 sensor. Its not working.

There is not a quick fix for anything. The core of the issue needs to be located and repaired. In your case the computer isn't getting anything or is always getting a low reading from the rear O2 sensor.

Another thing that causes this if the O2 sensor is in fact good is a clogged CAT and no anti fowler or diode will correct it.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi

The CEL has been off since I did the fix. I did exactly the way you are going to do. I took the sensors off and splice it close to the connector in the engine bay. That way I was able to keep the splice from getting wet. One thing you want to pay attention is the which end of the diode you splice.

Good luck.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

^The diode won't work with his problem. The computer is reporting a circuit issue, not an emission issue. Putting the diode in would be the same as taping the diode to the rearview mirror.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH

Quote:
Sounds like a problem with the rear O2 sensor getting power which may be as simple as a dirty / loose connector but I found this:

code P2096- wtf - Page 2 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

Look @ the last few posts as guy on this site has the exact same problem you have.
susiemk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: