bosal muffler - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2003, obs, h6, 150k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bosal muffler

any thoughts on this muffler as a replacement on a 2003 outback h6, bosal part # 229009 from rockauto? the subaru dealership wants 400+ for theirs. thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 12:15 PM

Car: 2001 Outback 2.5 with 5 Speed
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I work for Napa, and we can special order Bosal. They are pretty good quality and better quality then the cheaper Walker exhaust parts we sell. I'm not sure how either one compares to the OE muffler.

One thing I noticed though, is your car a Sedan or Wagon? Because according to my parts listing the 229-009 is for the Sedan, and 229-581 is for the "S/W" which I assume is the Wagon.

Summer/Toy - 1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 5 speed - Heavily Modded
- BW S256 ETT Turbo, E85, TRE Built Trans, 11 Second Car
Winter/Daily - 2001 Subaru Outback 5 Speed with Cold Weather package
- Intake Mod, Dynomax Turbo Muffler, HID H1 and Fog Lights

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2003, obs, h6, 150k
Yes i do own the outback sedan. thanks for the info. does anyone have any idea how this muffler compairs to the stock? I remember reading something about a by pass valve internal to the stock muffler. thanks.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 11:41 AM

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean
Bosal makes good stuff but is no where near the quality of stock. Their mufflers come with a 5 year warranty I believe and will last that long and maybe longer depending on where you live. I put one on my parents 93 legacy and one of the hanger welds rusted through at 5 years. I was able to repair with some creative engineering. If you want another 100k+ out of the car I would put an OEM muffler on the car.

I doubt they have the exhaust restriction valve system but that is not going to matter much. I no longer have mine on my OEM muffler since I cut it out. :-)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 03:56 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Another option would be to order some parts from the west. I just installed 3 nights ago a new exhaust system on my H6 OBW 2002 - same parts as yours. I got the entire mid pipe and muffler shipped for $175. No rust and spotless from a 2001 H6 in Colorado. They don't have rust there so the thing was in amazing condition compared to stuff here int he rust belt.

i'm wondering how to protect these exhaust parts? i just installed that Colorado exhaust and it'll probably last the life of the vehicle now but still I wouldn't mind pulling my exhausts off once while I own them to wire brush and enamel them if it would help....might be a good option for aftermarket exhausts too...

i might start another thread about that.

H6 VDC OBW, H6 OB Sedan, XT6's, castrated LSi - FWD EJ18
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 03:57 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market or post in the parts wanted forum here. just make sure it's from the south or west, get pictures, and make sure it's no rust. mine came from a forum staff member who knows his stuff, owns a subaru business, etc.

H6 VDC OBW, H6 OB Sedan, XT6's, castrated LSi - FWD EJ18
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 04:00 PM

You could paint it with VHT flame proof header paint. Good to 2000 F

VHT FlameProof Coating
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 04:10 PM

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited
I've used the VHT and other paints to preserve expensive & exotic exhausts on vintage VWs. It isn't worthless but it really only added another 2 years or so. Possibly re-applying the paint every 5 would be better still.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 07:23 PM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yep, VHT is good as long as the metal is prepped proper and several coats are used with ample drying between. Its like painting a car. Its all in the prep and coats.

I've seen one exhaust setup coated with the liquid bed liner. It held up to temperatures. Don't know how long it lasted. Its been a few years since I ran across it.

Ceramic will last a long time, but baking the pipes would be an issue. You could always build a very large BBQ and section the pipes.

As for the muffler replacement, you will notice the bypass gone while driving with an aftermarket. It helps quiet the exhaust while cruising; gives it the rumble when accelerating. So it depends on the noise factor you want. Bosal is a good muffler. I went with a glass pack and axle back turbo muffler for flow and sound control. But I also went with larger pipes from the engine back.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 02:20 PM

I have to update my post as I made a slight error. The muffler that I put on my parents legacy was a Walker. I did put a middle section pipe with a cat in it on the car and that was made by Bosal.

I went home over the holidays to find the ~6 year only Walker muffler completely disintegrated on the inside of the muffler. There was literally nothing left in side the muffler but chunks of rust and one of the two outlet pipes was completely gone. It seemed okay back in April, not sure what happened.

I replaced it with a Bosal. The Bosal seems of higher quality than the Walker but time will tell.

The Bosal mid section pipe/Cat is holding up well but is only ~2-3 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: