Why is my serpentine belt continuously shredding? - Page 5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #41 (permalink)

Car: Subaru Outback 2002 H6 LLBean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper View Post
Serpitine belts are complicated systems. The only things that have changed in this car are the idlers. The other items have not been touched. All the adjustment is on the tensioner in this discussion. Adds up, so where you think it should be the belt turns and twists more stresses and torquing (twist) of the belt adds up

The belt pulls the accessories, so it makes sense if the belt before the alt is out of wack, it can jump between the alt and ac compressor as the belt is loaded and unloaded due to engein RPM, alt and ac load.
power steering pump has been replaced as well (by dealer), although Merchant's said there was nothing wrong with the first one
wogmail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
I agree.

The AC compressor pulley is most likely coming loose or there is internal issues. The belt is on the crank the way it is supposed to be. All the others are shifted. In his last set of photos it's off the PS pump. In the first set, it was on the pulley wholy. The distance between the crank and AC with the direction of the rotation leaves the AC pulley as he culprit and then it walks the other pulleys after the shredding starts. Couldn't tell you why it is staying on the crank except maybe its because the tensioner is holding in place since it so close.

It's either that or the belt has been installed incorrectly every time where it wasn't placed on the AC properly.

I have an AC compressor just sitting in my shop with less than 50k on it. Its an 02 off a JDM. I couldn't use it on my 01. The plug is different. Post a pic of the top of the compressor on your car and if it matches this one for line position and plugs, I can send it to you.
I put up some pics of it, I appreciate the assistance! Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #43 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogmail View Post
Here are pics of the AC compressor:
I feel like I have to deal with the dealer at this point because they have already taken so much of my money and seem to have done nothing.
You should put it in front of them and tell them you're dissatisfied with the repair. You shouldn't have to make or accept any theatrics, just let them know that you paid your money and their fix didn't hold, and you want them to do it right.
rasterman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #44 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i Touring (SE) D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Looking back to the original post, the shredding problem started before the tensioner, idler, belt and p.s. pump were replaced. Doesn't this suggest that the real problem hasn't been dealt with?

In the earlier photos, and particularly the one 1 Lucky Texan included in a post a few back, the idler pulley at 5 O-clock relative to the alternator does appear to be sticking out, and the belt might even be hanging over at the back (can't see). I believe the belt is supposed to run more or less centered on the idler. Is it? (Compare to the tensioner pulley.) Any other H6 owners can confirm the positioning of the pulley and the belt on the pulley?

At post #6, cardoc attached a diagram of the belt. I've included the same diagram (from my 2005 FSM) below:

What's interesting here is that the odd-positioned idler and the problematic compressor pulley are both positioned by the same bracket (#7). Could that bracket be out of place or broken?
Attached Thumbnails
Why is my serpentine belt continuously shredding?-h6-belt.jpg  
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #45 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

What has to be done is the belt has to be removed, that upper metal bracket removed, and the condition of all pulleys and bearings and the position and orientation of all the pulleys must be examined.

Not a big job, but it's what hasn't been done to date.
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #46 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

If it is "on" the alternator and "off" on the a/c and idler pulleys, that would suggest the alternator is in the wrong position.

If the AC was in the wrong place it wouldn't both be 'on' the alt and 'off' the idler, I think, even though the idler is before the alternator.
The run from the idler to the alt is probably short enough the alt can pull it off the back of the idler.
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #47 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i Touring (SE) D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

The belt appears to be one groove back on the alternator, and two grooves back on the compressor, as well as back on the 5 O'clock idler pulley.

If that bracket is out of alignment, it might shift the idler (mounted by a bolt to the bracket) such that the belt moves to the back of the pulley. That could cause the belt to move back on the alternator pulley, which is fairly close. Also, as the compressor appears to be mounted to the same bracket, the misaligned bracket would disorient the compressor pulley. (The diagram also appears to indicate the alternator is mounted to the bracket but that's not clear.)

For example, if the bracket is tilted down at the front, that would cause the belt, coming from the p.s. pump pulley, to move toward the back of the idler. And, as the belt crosses from the alternator pulley to the compressor pulley, with the latter's pulley tilted down, the belt would again tend to move toward the back.

It looks as if the bracket is held on by four bolts, (but it's not clearly so). It's unlikely all four would have loosened and perhaps some fall out. But I'm with CNY_Dave on perhaps starting by checking the bracket position more closely.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #48 (permalink)

Car: 03 Outback H6 base

I just looked at mine and the hub of the pulley seems to stick out the same distance. I have 5/16 inch from the belt edge to the front of the pulley. Keep in mind that this pulley was replaced and would look shinny. But something is causing the belt to shift between the power steering pump and the Alt. Plus it looks 3 groves off on the compressor?

The pulley must be misaligned. I agree that since the belt shredded before any replacements that the problem lies elsewhere, mounting or something, and hasn't been addressed. Looks like the belt is one grove further towards the engine than 5/16's in the pic.

My guess is that stuff has been replaced without proper inspection of the root cause. Something the dealer should have looked for and had a responsibility to correctly diagnose and repair. They should fix this at their expense under warranty from not getting it right the first time.

Should be able to put a straight edge on the front of the pulley and see if it looks square with the engine both vertically and horizontally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by

does the belt look OK to everyone else on the Alt. in this pic?
[IMG
http://i.imgur.com/MoA9v.jpg[/IMG]

........Click 2 enlarge.........

"Some people are happy herding an appliance from point A to B. Then there are those of us who want to enjoy the *drive*."
OldStyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #49 (permalink)

Car: 05 LL Bean Outback Wagon

In the bottom photo above the power steering pump is on the left side and the A/C is on the right. If you look at the top photo you can see parts of the belts jammed behind the A/C compressor pulley.
signage is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #50 (permalink)

Taking it to the dealer now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: