Why is my serpentine belt continuously shredding? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: Subaru Outback 2002 H6 LLBean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Why is my serpentine belt continuously shredding?

2002 H6 Outback, LL Bean. 140k miles, car is 6 months or so new to me, no mechanical history on it. I have replaced CV axles, changed all fluids, serviced transmission, replaced filters, etc.

Serpentine belt shredded on the interstate, I took it to a chain shop because it was on a weekend. They replaced the idler and the belt. I asked them to replace the tensioner at the same time, they said it was a waste of money.

Three days later, belt is shredding again. They told me they didn't know what was wrong, and put another belt on it and to go to the dealer.

Took it to my regular mechanic, they said it looked fine, that the aftermarket idler seemed a little big, and that the tensioner had play. They said to drive it until it become a problem, but that it looked fine at the moment. Couple days later the belt starts shredding again.

Took it to the dealer, the dealer told me the aftermarket idler was a problem, as well as the tensioner being too loose. I mentioned occasional issues with steering, because I know that the power steering pump is on the belt. They replaced both the (new) idler and the tensioner, and also replaced the power steering pump.

Now, three days later, the serpentine belt is shredding again. What gives?
wogmail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

Crank pulley separation? I just saw a thread about that...
rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasterman View Post
Crank pulley separation? I just saw a thread about that...
This is something that three separate mechanics could have missed?

Timeline:
1. Chain store (Merchant's Tire & Auto) looks at car
2. Merchants looks at car again when belt strips again, say they watched the belt for 1.5 hours and could not figure out the problem
3. My regular (trusted) local mechanic looks at it
4. Dealer looks at it
Old 12-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

Whatever it turns out to be, three separate mechanics did miss it. Maybe the pulley, tensioner & idler are all fine. New pump, very nice.

Has anyone checked the other driven accessories on this belt? Alt? AC? WP?
rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasterman View Post
Whatever it turns out to be, three separate mechanics did miss it. Maybe the pulley, tensioner & idler are all fine. New pump, very nice.

Has anyone checked the other driven accessories on this belt? Alt? AC? WP?
I don't know, I'm just getting hit from every angle here. I don't have any faith in the dealer or the Merchant's. My local mechanic I trust, but he is the only one I haven't given any money too, I just pulled up and he looked under the hood while it was running. I feel like one of the two people I have already given a bunch of money to should be fixing the problem, and since neither the parts or the labor included so far have helped, should probably be giving me some of my money back.

I don't think the power steering pump needed to be replaced, and I don't think the new aftermarket idler needed to be replaced. The dealer takes forever to get parts in, I had a rental for a week ($300), and the dealer's bills was $1200+ for apparently no change. I'm pretty ticked off with Merchant's and the dealer, and pretty ticked off at myself for bringing it to either one of them to begin with. Should have just waited for the weekend to end and taken Monday off.

Any advice for dealing with the local dealer? Any chance I'm getting my money back for anything?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Is the belt routed proper?

If the belt is routed correctly, one of the pulleys is bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Why is my serpentine belt continuously shredding?-image.jpg  
cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

It seems to be routed correctly. Is there some way for them to test which pulley is bad without ordering a new pulley and putting it in? At this point I don't know whether everyone I've been to is incompetent or if this is a difficult problem. I spoke to a mechanic who is a friend and she basically laughed and said it should be simple. Not sure if that's true.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just called the dealer. They really seem to not care. They told me to bring it in on Thursday, that they are too busy today, and the mechanic who did the work is off til Thursday. So back to Enterprise.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5i, 2003 OBW LTD, 1991 Toyota MR2 - suspension & braking enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogmail View Post
It seems to be routed correctly. Is there some way for them to test which pulley is bad without ordering a new pulley and putting it in? At this point I don't know whether everyone I've been to is incompetent or if this is a difficult problem. I spoke to a mechanic who is a friend and she basically laughed and said it should be simple. Not sure if that's true.
Take a magnifying glass or microscope and look at the surfaces of all the pulleys. I bet one looks different. Running your fingers along all the surfaces may help too.
phatvw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

the idler and tensioner bearings go bad a LOT but, I don't know that they would cause the belt to shred without making a lot of noise first.

definitely the crank pulley should be checked.

Seems to me, this would be a mystery if the belt gets shredded but no one can spot anything wobbling. in what manner does the belt fail? rear edge, forward edge, etc.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: