2000 legacy blown engine - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 08:28 PM

Car: 01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
did you look on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market ?

this other guy sounds flaky.

put in your zip and sort by distance, if you have to ship in an engine, sort by price and look for a deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 PM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman161 View Post
found an engine at the last place i wanted to deal with. their known for robbing people. they said they had two. 123,000 $800 installed with a yr warrentee, parts and labor, and one with 73,000 $1500 with 3 yr warrentee. i figured the 3 yr would be the better deal. he wanted $750 down. after hanging up i thought how could i tell which one was installed.
i called back he he said i have to take his WORD for it. what a joke, i changed to the $800 1 yr, then he said it was only 6 mons, his son that promised the year was mistaken (1st screw job)
. next fight will be getting it in writing for parts and labor. i paying cash so there no transaction. i'm saving $64, he probably saves 160 or more by not reporting it on his taxes.
You are not seriously thinking about going this route are you? Its got snow job written all over it. Keep looking.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 AM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
6 month warranty is fairly common for engines from junk yards....but yeah that place doesn't sound like a great fit. don't let need push you into a bad decision. however bad off you are now - it *can* get worse if you make a risky decision.

H6 VDC OBW, H6 OB Sedan, XT6's, castrated LSi - FWD EJ18
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

too late to consider keep looking advise. i had it towed to the crook 1/14/2013. i was promised job was to be completed 3-4 days. he missed by 16-17 days. every time i called he had different reason why it wasn't done, including wrong 2.5 engine. are there two 2.5's?????

i'm picking it up Monday 2/4/2013.

my guess is, no clean oil, my completly full tank of gas is not full any more. and there will be an big argument trying to get that 6 month warrenty in writing.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

picked up today, engin1 qt. oil low, no anti freeze in the reservor and the AT OIL TEMP LIGHT IS BLINKING. I ASK THE OWNER AND HE SAID IT DOING THAT BECAUSE IT HASN'T BEEN DRIVEN. I said it has never been blinking before and someone must have done something wrong. what did they do to cause the steady blinking. checked transmission fluid and its full.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 09:03 AM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
They either don't have the transmission harness plugged in proper or they damaged a wire that goes to the speed sensor or valve body harness. You would need to get the code(s) pulled by someone with a scan tool.

Cheaper is not always better.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

i had codes pulled at auto advanced. po303 cylinder 3 misfire.
code po748 " Pressure control solenoid. po748 came up twice.

1) been doing some reading and looks like i'm not alone. i put a new plug in cylinder3 unhooked negitive on battery to clear codes and engine light went off, but i've only driven it a few miles. there was some oil in the #3 cylinder area. plug was real tight and looked fairly new.
2) code po748 " Pressure control solenoid this flashing "at oil temp" light had never appeared in the three yrs i've owned it. is it a possibility the crooks install both a motor and a transmission i/o just the engine? is the harness visable where it might not be connected. is solenoid A an easy fix?
thanks for all advise.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 AM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
weird, here's a guy with a 2001 outback with the same issue: engine replaced and had the same P0748 code...user "wallywiz" posts later in the thread with your issues and claims replacing the solenoid fixed the issue. very odd, this is nearly an unheard of failure...strange to see it twice, right after an engine swap on the same vehicle.

P0748 - Pressure Control Solenoid Electrical - Desparately need help, please!!! - NASIOC

H6 VDC OBW, H6 OB Sedan, XT6's, castrated LSi - FWD EJ18
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've heard (never experienced) that careless jacking of the trans pan can cause damage to solenoids/wires that might lead to that code.

Trans would be jacked up during engine reinstall in order to align the studs between engine/trans while still allowing clearance for the motor mount studs.

www.lockmedic.com
ben@lockmedic.com

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 11:57 AM

Car: 2002 VDC Outback sedan
Advance Auto was able to pull tranny codes from a Subaru? I'll keep that in mind since Auto Zone couldn't get any codes with their Actron scanner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: