First Time Subaru Owner - 2003 Outback Limited - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2003 Subaru Outback Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Time Subaru Owner - 2003 Outback Limited

Hi Everyone,
Wanted to introduce myself.
I've just plonked down 3500 dollars on a Subaru Outback Limited. 2003. Black leather. Black paint.
188k on the clock.
The dealer put in new head gasket, new alternator, timing belt.
It's a really clean 1 owner car. Highway miles.
The only thing that seems to be an issue right now is the CD/CD Changer isn't working. I'm going to check the fuses. And the right indicator relay seems to be playing up. It's intermittently going fast.
I bought the car as a daily driver from my new house to the station. Probably around 20 miles per day, 5 times a week.
Also bought it due to Subaru's glowing reviews in the snow. There may be lots when I'm going to be living.
I hope I have a deal here. I think I have. KBB seemed to think around the 4500 mark. The mechanic I took it to thought it was worth 6k.
Anyway, I feel it's worth it.
I will be no doubt on here from time to time with questions..
Regards
Griff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130111_081008.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	26847  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 AM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Welcome.

Check for a blown bulb on the side that blinks fast.

If the radio works and the CD player does not, it's not a fuse. New stereos are cheap with a warranty at Crutchfield.com. They also have refurbished units even cheaper.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 PM

Looks just like mine. I picked up one this winter with 122k and put some winter tires on it. Its working great.

Just curious if you feel a slipping occasionally when you ease off the throttle slightly and then press on the gas again? Thats what mine does now but its not really an issue.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
Not uncommon for those CD changers to die. The one in my 2004 was shot when I bought it.

Like cardoc said, a good double-DIN stereo isn't expensive to get. Crutchfield will give you the required adapters and great instructions (which are also posted here somewhere) as well. Changing the stereo is a piece of cake in the 2nd generation Outbacks.

I dunno about it being worth 6k, my 2004 L.L. Bean with 50k fewer miles and an H6 engine would probably not fetch a whole lot more than that on a private sale. But, regardless, I think you did get a good price if it's mechanically solid.

RIP Outback: 2008 3.0R LL Bean "Senior Citizen Gold" 99,150 miles

Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 AM

The stereo installation is a cakewalk for the models without the amplifiers. I had to make a harness to run from the head unit to the speaker harness under the pass front seat. But that was the Mc system.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 AM

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
The stereo installation is a cakewalk for the models without the amplifiers. I had to make a harness to run from the head unit to the speaker harness under the pass front seat. But that was the Mc system.
...and because the OP's is just a limited, it shouldn't have that system.

This Outback is definitely the easiest stereo I've swapped out so far.

One tip if you go about changing it. I believe your car has its antenna printed on one of the windows in the trunk. If this is the case, you'll need to hook the blue amplifier power wire to it. If you don't do it, the amp for the antenna won't get power and you'll get next-to-no radio reception.

RIP Outback: 2008 3.0R LL Bean "Senior Citizen Gold" 99,150 miles

Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2003 Subaru Outback Limited
No blown bulbs.
It looks like it might be an issue with an electrical connection in the indicator/headlight arm itself going into the driving column.
It's intermittent, but seems to connect if it's moved slightly forward when indicating right.
It's a small pain, but I don;t really want to get it seen to just yet, as it would mean leaving my car at a mechanics to take the column apart...I don't have the funds to do that yet.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 AM

Car: 2003 Outback H6 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1203 View Post
I dunno about it being worth 6k, my 2004 L.L. Bean with 50k fewer miles and an H6 engine would probably not fetch a whole lot more than that on a private sale. But, regardless, I think you did get a good price if it's mechanically solid.
I agree. I just picked up a pretty minty 2003 LLB with 83,000 miles (134,000 km) for $6200 this past weekend.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 10:30 PM

Car: 2001 LL Bean
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1203 View Post
...and because the OP's is just a limited, it shouldn't have that system.
It shouldn't but it could have it. I just pulled a bass unit and window tweeters out of a '98 at a local pull-a-part yard that were dealer installed. The car still had the installation instructions in the owner's manual folder. Sometimes you just get lucky. I payed $4 for all the speakers - the bass unit is going into my truck.

Anyways, congratulations on your new ride. Stay on the forum and share your OB experiences with all us.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifforama View Post
No blown bulbs.
It looks like it might be an issue with an electrical connection in the indicator/headlight arm itself going into the driving column.
It's intermittent, but seems to connect if it's moved slightly forward when indicating right.
It's a small pain, but I don;t really want to get it seen to just yet, as it would mean leaving my car at a mechanics to take the column apart...I don't have the funds to do that yet.
Actually, you can change the multifunction switch inside an hour with simple tools. (screwdriver/socket) And, if you don't like Subaru's part price, you can use an aftermarket like BWD.

Take down the lower panel from under the column/dash. Take out the screws from the bottom cover to split the upper and lower pieces removing the lower and slightly rotating the upper right. Disconnect the plug. Unscrew the switch and remove. Put it all back in reverse. Gravy.

I've attached a pic. Ignore the steering wheel being removed. Its just a pic to show the switch with the covers moved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MF switch.gif
Views:	185
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	27092  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: