Headlights - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:12 PM

Car: 2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The +anything bulbs are overdriven, and will not live as long. The HIRs do not sacrifice lifespan and give more light. Also, if you make your low beams as bright as stock high beams, I hate you. Don't think its smart to blind people coming at you. Upgraded high beams are great, since you shouldn't be using those when someone is coming toward you.

My car warms the rear window, mirrors, wipers, my butt, and my heart - because I WILL get there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:17 PM

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've got Phillips CrystalVision bulbs for my low beams, and I have 3000K HIDs in my fog lights. Work great, I hardly ever need to use my high beams any more, and I've never been "flashed" by other drivers coming towards me. I plan on repeating this in my Grand Prix (factory headlights on that car are terrible) and my dad's car as well.

Mike F
2004 Subaru Outback Wagon - 137,000 miles, 2.5 H4 EJ251, 4EAT, DD
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 194,000 miles, L26/L67 hybrid, 4T65E-HD with ZZP shift kit, GMPP front sway bar, GMPP front and rear STBs, lowered, 17inch Comp G wheels, SD headers, FWI, Autolite 104 plugs, custom DHP tune - Toy/money pit
| W-body.com Car of the Quarter 2nd Quarter 2013

Love: it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Car: 01 Outback base
these are the led bulbs i was talking about

High Power LED Headlights Upgrade | Replace H4 H7 H11 9006 Halogen

since they only have led's on one side i think that i will be able to focus the light just on the part of the reflector that goes where i want it to so i wont have to worry about blinding people so much. how hard is the mod to run the HIR's? that's the one that re directs heat back toward the filament right?

Euchre* i totally agree, i want a bit more light just because i drive a lot at night.

If i ask a question that has been asked before, im sorry, just link me to the other threads and i'll be on my way.

Last edited by Stoic Guardian; 01-28-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: grammer
post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 PM

Yes, HIRs relfect IR back at the element to increase the output. The mod to the tabs is dead easy.

The stock fog assemblies and design are really good at creating fill lighting close and wide. The bulbs can be upgraded, and would help without putting too much light high up. There are HIRs that will fit them. Something I've noticed since I replaced my driver's side fog housing which included having a stock grille on it again, is that I don't get flashed when I do have my fogs on. I got that occasionally before, so apparently aside from some additional protection, those grilles reduce the upward glare.

My car warms the rear window, mirrors, wipers, my butt, and my heart - because I WILL get there!
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
for other drivers, the cutoff/angle is more important than raw brightness. That's why folks just throwing HIDs in without the proper projecter/housing cause problems - no or improper cutoff.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply has some info on bulbs.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:47 PM

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
I'm not sure about LED headlights. I am thinking they may be too focused to produce the wide beam you want as a low beam light. This is the same reason why those LED replacement bulbs for your tail lights are a very bad idea.

Mike F
2004 Subaru Outback Wagon - 137,000 miles, 2.5 H4 EJ251, 4EAT, DD
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 194,000 miles, L26/L67 hybrid, 4T65E-HD with ZZP shift kit, GMPP front sway bar, GMPP front and rear STBs, lowered, 17inch Comp G wheels, SD headers, FWI, Autolite 104 plugs, custom DHP tune - Toy/money pit
| W-body.com Car of the Quarter 2nd Quarter 2013

Love: it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:48 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euchre View Post
Yes, HIRs relfect IR back at the element to increase the output. The mod to the tabs is dead easy.

The stock fog assemblies and design are really good at creating fill lighting close and wide. The bulbs can be upgraded, and would help without putting too much light high up. There are HIRs that will fit them. Something I've noticed since I replaced my driver's side fog housing which included having a stock grille on it again, is that I don't get flashed when I do have my fogs on. I got that occasionally before, so apparently aside from some additional protection, those grilles reduce the upward glare.
I think I learned about the HIRs from one of your posts. Next time the car needs bulbs, I'm definitely getting them.

is there only one manufacturer though? I might stock up before they drop them from the catalog!

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:53 PM

There's not just one manufacturer to my knowledge, but they aren't the most common bulbs. The 9011s seem less common than the 9012s, the latter being used in John Deere tractors, thus a whole extra market for them.

Those LED units do look a bit odd and very directional. That could be a good thing for the addition of brightness in your fogs though, as you might be able to orient them to keep the light lower and wider.

post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Car: 01 Outback base
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE95 View Post
I'm not sure about LED headlights. I am thinking they may be too focused to produce the wide beam you want as a low beam light. This is the same reason why those LED replacement bulbs for your tail lights are a very bad idea.
that's a good idea, i hadn't thought of that. i have seen some manufacturers that make bulbs that seem to put fairly even light all the way around that might work well. i would definately need to see those led's in our housings to want to blow 100+ on them after what has been said. where did you buy those HIR's.

good idea on the fog lights but i have been thinking of switching them out for hella black magic's anyway.

If i ask a question that has been asked before, im sorry, just link me to the other threads and i'll be on my way.
post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 11:12 AM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you want good lighting at a reasonable cost, I installed projectors with HID. It took 2 hours to retro fit the projectors into the light housing. I got the projectors from Retro Fit Source. The HIDs I already had with ballast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0662.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	801.9 KB
ID:	27153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0663.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	836.5 KB
ID:	27154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0664.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	821.6 KB
ID:	27155   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0672.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	1,013.0 KB
ID:	27156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0673.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	1,009.7 KB
ID:	27157  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: