Subaru Outback Forums banner

Headlights

21K views 81 replies 16 participants last post by  cardoc 
#1 ·
Ok, i know that there are plenty of different headlight threads, all kinds of information about bulbs and housings and the like. i have been having some problems with mine burning out way faster than i think that they should. i had a 94 ranger and used the same brand of bulbs for years with out them burning out, but in my subaru i have gone through them alot faster. Before somone blames the always on running lights i always ran my ranger with them on.

since one of them has burned out that housing has filled with quite a bit of condensation. could that be the reason i am having problems?

#30 ·
The car is at the transmission rebuilder, again. When I get it back, I will remove one of the covers and get a pic of the back of the assembly.

I did have to trim out the back where the old light mounted to mount the projector to the housing. It was gravy. The projector just goes in the new enlarged port and is tightened down. You can't go wrong with aiming, the projector is marked up and which side, left or right. The installation instructions are posted on Retro Fit Source's website.

#31 ·
Thanks. That would be totally awesome. Did you mount the ballasts inside the headlights? Whenever I checked it seemed possible to push (small) ballasts and ignitors inside the headlight housing towards the grill.

I am leaning toward the Mini D2S because I have D2S bulbs and ballasts already but it seems like the output of the Mini H1 is much better.

#32 ·
The output of the Mini D2S is going to better than the halogen setup, but pales in comparison to other projectors. I've been gathering parts to do a retro using the FX-R. It will be more work, but the output is worth it.

#33 ·
I'd be interested in doing a projector retrofit in my foglights, as I already have HIDs in them

#34 ·
Its a miracle. I got the VDC back today. Details here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/47896-sleeper-vdc-28.html#post505615

I have attached pics of the light, pass side. The first shows the back. You can see the nut that locks the projector down to the housing. The harness for the HID goes out the back cover and the ballast is secured on the fender panel. The second is a shot of the high beam plug plugged into the adaptor from Retro Fit to run the motor for the interior reflector. The third is a close up of the assembly on the car.

Attachments

#36 ·
Yeah. Due to the bend in the lense from the top, the depth wasn't enough unless I moved it down about 10mm. But it put the projector just above the black divider. I was thinking about taking the divider out all together and placing the projector lower, but decider otherwise.

#40 ·
I'm glad to see this forum made it to HIDs. It seems anything concerning headlights always makes it's way there anyhow :p

I am new to the forum, and new to a 2001 Subaru outback. Having driven a 1990 legacy wagon for the last 5 years it was a pretty nice little upgrade. I was wanting to do HIDs myself, but want to do it right and install the proper projector housings as well, to my surprise no one makes/sells them! At least in the US, that is. I am in college right now studying health sciences, it's very time consuming and I don't feel up to retrofitting headlights myself. I would be rushed and wouldn't do it right. So I have two questions, and if they've already been asked I am sorry, I assure you I've scanned these threads up and down for answers, but there is a lot of information here and couldn't find what I was looking for. That being said, my questions--

1. Does any one know of a member/company who does retrofits?

2. Is it possible to get my hands on any JDM headlights that would fit the 2001 outback? So I could just buy them outright? And if that's possible where would I go to find them?

I appreciate any help at all scooby lovers--cyber

#41 ·
All of the sites that i have gone to that usually sell that kind of stuff have come up worth nothing, and you wouldn't want JDM stuff. Since they drive on the left side of the road their lights naturally put light out higher on the left to illuminate signs and such. On an American car this would blind oncoming drivers.

#42 ·
I think there was a reputable shop linked thru NASIOC that would trun your assembles around pretty quick with projector inserts. At one time, they were using Honda and BMW projectors but, nowadays, they may have other options.

You might try to find some DIY instructions (try scoobymods or ageneral google search) or even a youtube video of the mods required, even get some headlights from a junkyard/ebay to practice on. If it goes well on all 4, sell a pair to help pay for yours. If one gets messed-up, at least you would have a second chance.

edit; yeah, this is the guy I was thinking of, he offers parts and DIY kits too, full service is not cheap - but he's been doing this a long time and seems to have good reviews;

http://www.lightwerkz.net/review.php

#43 ·
Do you guys have any tips for seperating the front and back halves of the plastic in our headlights? one guy mentioned an oven. kinda worried about that melting something.

#46 ·
The oven is the way to go. Pre heat, 7 minutes, pull the assembly and pry it apart. Remove the screws before you heat it up.

When you get ready to assemble it, pre heat, 10 minutes, put the parts together and install the screws. The sealer sets quick, so you have to do it quick.

Wear gloves.

#47 ·
That is good info. would it surprise anyone if i said that i called both the parts and service departments of the local Subaru dealership, and a Subaru only repair shop and no one could tell me how to get the halves apart.

#48 ·
I've gathered very many pictures of retrofited 2000-2004 headlights. I will upload them later whem I am at home.

edit: THe only thing that I don't have are output pictures of the original JDM HID headlights. I would be very interested in a picture of the original JDM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.