Subaru Outback Forums banner

Headlights

21K views 81 replies 16 participants last post by  cardoc 
#1 ·
Ok, i know that there are plenty of different headlight threads, all kinds of information about bulbs and housings and the like. i have been having some problems with mine burning out way faster than i think that they should. i had a 94 ranger and used the same brand of bulbs for years with out them burning out, but in my subaru i have gone through them alot faster. Before somone blames the always on running lights i always ran my ranger with them on.

since one of them has burned out that housing has filled with quite a bit of condensation. could that be the reason i am having problems?

#65 ·
The first pic is of one HID and one regular.

Second pic is as it is now with the projector and HID (5500) in the fogs.

Third is the light on the back of my tool box. You can see the line the fogs make below the wideband of the projectors. The HID in the fogs actually light up the road from directly in front of the car and spread the light out but not like high beams. There is some upward reflection, not bright though.

Attachments

#67 ·
I have been intending to. Just for something odd and different. With all the transmission issues and now the early CAT failure and heavy business at the shop it's on hold. I'll post it up when I get to it. I need to pull a fog and measure its total dept so I can get a projector that will fit best. Unless someone has one apart, or broken already. Hint.

#70 ·
I'm hoping to paint the whole "gold"bottom half black, and black out the fogs, and headlights once i get projectors in them. I was hoping Some one else had the same idea

#71 ·
I ordered three different kinds of schrouds.
S-Max Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is FREE SHIPPING, CHA HIGH TEMPERATURE RESISTANT PROJECTOR BEZEL SHROUDS MASK TYPE MAX
E46 Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is FREE SHIPPING, CHA HIGH TEMPERATURE RESISTANT PROJECTOR BEZEL SHROUDS MASK TYPE MAX
TG Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is FREE SHIPPING, CHA HIGH TEMPERATURE RESISTANT PROJECTOR SHROUDS MASK TYPE TG

It is going to take a while since they are being shipped from china.

I am planning on using the Bosch E46 three inch bi-xenon projector that I have laying around. But it seems like it is not or only hardly going to fit.

#75 ·
I probably have 4-5 hours into the retrofit, and then another hour into sanding and polishing the outer lens. The process is much more involved than the Mini H1. The second one should go much faster now that I have my prototype complete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.