Headlights - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback base
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Headlights

Ok, i know that there are plenty of different headlight threads, all kinds of information about bulbs and housings and the like. i have been having some problems with mine burning out way faster than i think that they should. i had a 94 ranger and used the same brand of bulbs for years with out them burning out, but in my subaru i have gone through them alot faster. Before somone blames the always on running lights i always ran my ranger with them on.

since one of them has burned out that housing has filled with quite a bit of condensation. could that be the reason i am having problems?
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 01:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited
Default Headlights

Look for electrical problems, particularly voltage regulation. Another possibility is a mechanical issue- vibration. Pinholes or cracks in the lens can allow for too much cooling, which can knock out the bulb with thermal shock.

I'm surprised by the number of headlight replacement posts I see on this board. I have changed 3 headlights in 3 friends cars (none subies) in the past 10 years, and never needed to replace one of my own going back through 7 cars over almost 25 years.
KYB GR-2 struts (2000-2004 parts on rear)
Rallitek sway bars F&R + AVO rear sway bar reinforcement brackets
JDM divorced stereo/HVAC controller, JVC DD stereo

rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

could there be a problem with the seal between the black and clear plastics? that's what the local subaru repair place thought.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

If a drop of that condensation hits a hot bulb, its all over for sure. You should never have visible moisture in your headlights, else there's a problem. Same really holds true for taillights... which is my problem.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think that i might be having that same problem. i took a trip through a good snow and rain storm recently, and when i arrived and opened the hatch to unpack, it was like the hatch was draining on the driver side. I need to figure that out too. The guy at that repair place mentioned the same thing for that, a bad seal between the black and transparent plastics.thoughts?
Old 01-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors

You think it's because we are slamming our hoods to hard?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

That's a definite possibility, hoods and hatches
Old 01-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

dunno if it helps, but I had to have a taillight changed out under warranty on my 06 WRX wagon for collecting water. I THINK I've read of one or 2 other similar problems so, maybe there was an 'era' during which Subaru had some bad light assemblies?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean

All I can tell you is it doesn't sound normal. I changed out both low and high beams when I bought my 2004 (they all went within days of eachother). In the 26,000 miles I had it after that, I never went through another bulb.

2008 Subaru Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean Edition No Nav, "Senior Citizen Gold" (Harvest Gold)
OEM Hitch | OEM Subwoofer | Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S | Window Tint | Black Carpet Swap
KYB Excel-G Struts ('04 Spec Rear, '05-'09 Spec Front) | Primitive 3/16" Front Skid Plate
jp1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok, now on to other questions, i have found the different posts about headlight bulbs and i am wondering if there is any use looking around for different brands for bulbs for my car or should i just get my self some narva +30's and call it good. Are there different Brands that make quality lights that are brighter than factory and don't burn out all the time? And has anyone ever tried led bulbs, it took forever but i found a manufacturer that makes low beam and high beam replacements
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: