Top Engine Tool?? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Top Engine Tool??

Ive got a 2002 Outback 2.5 and wanted to do a top engine cleaning so I ordered the Subaru Engine MX Kit which as a throttle plate spray, a fuel additive, and the bottle of Subaru Top Engine Cleaner. I ordered the top engine tool, SOA868V9430, from Subaru that fits on top of the Bottle to siphon out the top engine cleaner. It has a plastic tube that screws down onto the bottle with a cap fitting on top and a plastic tube to goes out of the top of the bottle to feed the chemical into the engine. I have not received it yet but the dealer said it did not come with instructions.

The question I have is where does the hose end go to do a complete cleaning?. I asked a mech at the dealer today and he said it goes on the brake booster vacuum line but they dont use the tool in the shop. If I feed it into the brake booster line will it get the whole intake and pistons or will it just get one side. Is there another line that I can feed it into to get the whole intake and pistons evenly? Or will feeding off the brake booster line be good enough? Would I be better off going with the seafoam spray since it goes into the throttle plate opening as an aerosol? These Subaru products only come in a liquid, not an aerosol can.

The Subaru mech said to feed the cleaners in slow to prevent damage to the catalytic converter, which might be why subaru makes the special tool. I also ordered the Carbon Clean which is a separate product from the Top Engine Cleaner. Does anyone know if there is a difference in the two as they both seem to get the carbon off? This bottle also uses the Subaru Top Engine Tool to apply it.

Thanks for any advice as I have not done this service before and want to do it right.
Outback2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

As far as I can tell, the throttle body itself is the only entry point that will give snake oil balanced distribution to all cylinders. The brake booster (and other vacuum ports) are heavily biased to one side or even just single cylinders.

The new seafoam spray looks like it makes this easier.

Personally, I have no faith in any of these products... but if you like them, hit the throttle body itself to guarantee even distro.
rasterman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2001 Outback Wagon VDC H6

I used the Seafoam Spray in mine, and ran 2 tanks of Chevron Techron.

Between that, new air & fuel filters, and cleaning the PCV valve, I noticed an improvement.
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean

There is no doubt that these products make a difference. Gasoline and oil are not particularly clean unless the manufacture adds more detergents. But that costs money. If a particular company can sell you a gallon of 87 and it meets government purity laws they will sell you the minimum. Of course there are going to be companies that sell higher quality products with better detergents. Chevron puts Techron in some of its gas lines. It also sells it in a can.

Some of the biggest differences in oil these days is the add packs which include the detergents that keep gunk and varnish from building up. The higher quality oils basically have larger amount and better versions of the add packs. While I think everyone should use Mobil1, its expensive though and people like to "save" money so not everyone will.

Overtime though if you use lower quality gasoline and oils, build up occurs. Adding products like these is like adding them after the fact. Not as effective, IMHO, but effective.

These products are trying to do two things. Clean up deposits on valves which effects air (and fuel) flow into the engine. And clean up build up and deposits in injectors which effects fuel metering and distribution into the cylinder.

Here is a site that talks about detergent standards and is trying to push for higher standards.

Top Tier Gasoline
Glennda5id is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 02 Outback 2.5 5sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennda5id View Post
Awesome link! Too bad it's not too easy to get where I am, but good to know.
highest_vision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Looking into this more it seems like the best way to go in using the engine vacuum is through the pcv valve hose because it looks like it goes in right behind the throttle plate. The mech at the dealer said the brake booster but that would never hit all the cylinders from its location. Does anyone know if the pcv valve hose disconected from the valve with this top engine tool connected to the bottle of cleaner will hit all the areas? Its on the left side of the throttle body inside of the plate but looks like it should disperse to every side for the most part.

I also heard some recommend disconnecting the Airflow sensor connection even though the car will go into fail safe mode for the cleaning is important to prevent messing up the sensor, any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any advice.

2002 Outback 2.5 manual
Outback2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: