2003 Outback -- Left Front Axle Came Out of Differential? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: Wife's Car - 2005 LL Bean Outback, Daughter's car - 2005 Impreza RS Sedan, Son's Car 2011 Outback 2.5 Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2003 Outback -- Left Front Axle Came Out of Differential?

Hey Folks,

Has any one ever run into this issue or know why it might happen?

The driver's side front axle has popped part way out of the differential. This happened when turning a corner.

The car belongs to my son's fiancee. It is a '03 Outback with 2.5 and 4 speed automatic. She bought it about a year and a half ago. the car now has ~133,000 miles on it. CV joint boots appear to be OK as there isn't any leakage evident. A few days before this happened, my son asked me to take a look at the car as there was a new sound and it seemed to be getting worse. It seemed to be coming from the tranny. It changed pitch with speed and I could feel a slight vibration on the gear selector (stick) as well. The noise and the vibration would go away if you let off of the gas though.

I checked the ATF and it is at the proper level and looks OK on the dipstick and paper towel. I also checked the level of the lube in the differential and it looked good as well.

We were going to take it to a tranny shop and have it checked out. but the next time the car was driven, the axle came out part way. She was turning a corner and all of sudden the little noise got VERY BIG.

Ideas ? Commments ? Suggestions ?
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

someone working on the car in the past (maybe struts, bearing, likely axle replacement) didn't seat the stub into the diff or the stub is missing its circlip to retain it.

if you're lucky, the seal is OK. I'd consider changing the diff fluid, reseating the axle stub and hope no serious damage was done.

it is uncommon and I have only read of it a coupla times in the past.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

The axle came out? It didn't separate at the joint or brake? It can brake and leave an intact boot.

If it came out, I'd say it wasn't locked in the differential to start with or the drift pin was left out. Both would be due to previous repairs and the tech erred. If it is broken or came apart at the joint, it's not unheard of.

I would also be looking into loose ball joints or lower control arm bushings. Something in the suspension allowed for the extra extension needed for the axle to come out or separate.

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: Wife's Car - 2005 LL Bean Outback, Daughter's car - 2005 Impreza RS Sedan, Son's Car 2011 Outback 2.5 Premium
Default Update

Hey, I just want to let folks know that the axle was indeed partially out of the differential and they had to replace the stub shaft as the end of the splines were messed up. C-Clip was still on it. CV joints seem fine. Ball Joints and the rest of the suspension seem fine so they are a bit perplexed as to why and how the axle would come out. Right now their only answer is that maybe it was worked on previously and it did not get put back together all of the way (ends of the splines finally wore enough to let it start slipping).

The issue is that now that they have it back together, they have noticed a noise, but are unsure of what is causing it, so they are still trying to diagnose it.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Update 2

Just got the call. They suspect something is broke inside of the front differential as in addition to the noise the front differential is wantiing to lock-up. They are saying the most cost effective action is to replace with a used (70k mile) transmission and differential. Looking at a $1200 to $1300 bill. Ouch ! !
Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

I just replaced my trans because of a worn pinion bearing.

Make sure they don't swap in a 2004 trans. The Hollander Interchange information has been updated that it won't work in an '03, but not everyone uses it.

The labor for the swap should be 'about' 600-650, my trans was 800 but it was for an H6, a little rarer so a little more expensive.

Outbacks and legacies have different gear ratios in the diff, hopefully they know to use a 4.44 geared trans, not a 4.11 from a legacy.
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gallery Ninja

Car: 2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT

What is this, the third exploded differential this week? (possible)

Here's my thread on my rear diff, but it gives you an idea of what might have gone wrong. cv joint popped out and wont go back in (spring retainer style joints)

Call and source a used transmission yourself if you have the time or check for cars being parted to maybe save some coin. That said, your mechanic might have much better sources and might look out for you better than your own judgement.

Sorry to hear about the failure!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gallery Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post

Outbacks and legacies have different gear ratios in the diff, hopefully they know to use a 4.44 geared trans, not a 4.11 from a legacy.
Note: Better check the gearing in person than the spec book as Dave points out. In my Outback, I have 4.11 gears, counter to Dave's experience.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

2000-2004 with 4.11, or your 2005?

For Gen 2 it's 'supposed to be' 4.44 for H4 OB with 4EAT, 4.11 for legacy and H6 OB.

I have no idea if they kept to that for '05+.
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gallery Ninja

The 04 actually. I am not sure why but the ring gear stamp does not lie.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: