First time in the snow with the 02 VDC - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2002 VDC Outback sedan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default First time in the snow with the 02 VDC

I sure am glad I have the VDC model with the 45/55 split. The rear drifts around at will like a RWD car, yet the front wheels don't let it spin all the way around unless you want to.

In a RWD car after a couple donuts you usually come to a stop and you have to go straight again to get momentum. Not in this car

I was afraid I wouldn't get to try it out this year but the snowstorm saved the day. Every parking lot I could find on the way to work now has several rings in it haha.

It does seem like, in this wet snow anyway, that taking off with VDC Off gets you going a little sooner than with it on. When it's on it seems to fall on it's face as the engine reduces power to fight spin, then it comes back up. When the snow isn't terribly slick, it seems like taking off with wheels spinning works a little better. In the snow we got last night, anyway.

So is it bad for the AWD system if you have all 4 wheels spinning and then lets say, the front wheels suddenly find traction? The front wheels would suddenly slow to the actual forward speed of the car but the rears would still be spinning faster in the snow.

I was letting off the gas just in case whenever I got near a dry patch.
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I believe you still had a front wheel spinning you just didn't notice it.

As for damaging the car: you would brake a mount somewhere on the car before damaging the engine or transmission. Sudden torque change on old axles could do damage or escalate wear, but these cars are made tough.

I've manged to split the rear differential bushings, two transmission mounts and a pair of LCA bushings. All have been modified except the LCA bushings. I'm still working on that.

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: