Inner Tie-Rod End Replacement - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: '01 2.5. auto.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Inner Tie-Rod End Replacement

Hey everyone, I finally tracked down a squeeky noise to the inner tie rod on the Pass. side. The boot is ripped and the socket joint there is rusted and noisy.

I'm going to order Moog from rockauto ($24 compared to 50 in store). And also a new bellows boot.

Should I spend the 22 bucks and get the Moog tie-rod end as well even though it's not bad yet? Yea it'll be easy to replace because I already have it apart, but it's an extra 22 bucko's. I know there is no definite answer here, just looking for your opinions.

Thanks!
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2002 VDC - 420k

I replaced both of my inner tie rods but didn't replace the outer ones. It's pretty quick to change the outer tie rods so you aren't saving a whole lot of labor doing it while you are there. Either way you will need an alignment afterwards, so if you had to pay for another alignment in the future on an outer tie rod replacement you might be saving there.
SoupCommander is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: '01 2.5. auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupCommander View Post
I replaced both of my inner tie rods but didn't replace the outer ones. It's pretty quick to change the outer tie rods so you aren't saving a whole lot of labor doing it while you are there. Either way you will need an alignment afterwards, so if you had to pay for another alignment in the future on an outer tie rod replacement you might be saving there.
Yea another thought is that the current outer TRE has 200k miles on it, it would stink threading that into the new tie-rod...
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

subaru tie rods are fairly robust, i wouldn't have any problem reusing it if the boot looks good and there's no play then the joint is good.

also - you can actually replace the inner tie rod end without even disconnecting the outer. simply unthread it leaving the outer on the steering knuckle, i've done a few like that. that way you can avoid dealing with removing the outer tie rod nut in the steering knuckle which is a plus here in the rust belt. no worries about ripping the boot, not getting it out, etc.

Subaru boots generally last longer (cv axles) but steering boots don't see nearly the articulation and heat of an axle so probably doesn't matter as much.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Yup. When I do steering rack boots I don't unhook anything on the spindle. I just decouple the inner/outer joint. . . since the inner joint spins freely.

Tie rod ends only go bad if they go dry. . . so if your existing ones are still swimming in grease and have an intact boot I'd just let them go.

Subaru steering rack boots have always been cheaper and better quality at the dealer, but then again I've never tried ordering them from RockAuto. I think Advance wants like $50 each for them. . .I pay about $35 from Subaru.

Always parting/fixing a subie or three. . . email me if you need parts. Mostly fool with 2nd gen stuff (00-04).

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
lockmedic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2002 Outback Sedan VDC

Autozone had replacement Inner tie rods for $20... Though they are generic and the locking washer is useless... I used locktite on my threads instead... The bellows is the most annoying part. took me 10 minutes to get everything apart and the tie rod on. 20 more just for the bellows...

Also a small pipe wrench may help getting the old one off since i believe it only has the two flat areas to grip onto. my new one had four and it was easier to get a wrench in there.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean

I have had very bad experience with aftermarket inner tierod boots. I recommend OE for this particular part. The difference between the quality of the rubber is night and day.

Aftermarket boots I put on my legacy 3 years ago, already have rips.
Glennda5id is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: