Engine idling issues/noise - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Car: 1999 OBW/2004 OBW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine idling issues/noise

I have a '99 OBW with a 2.5L DOHC/5-speed. Cars got about 140k now. It's got a couple of issues, that I didn't really notice until I spent a bit of time over the past holiday in another '99 OBW 2.5/automatic with about 72k.

1). I've got a really high idle. It idles whether warm or not at around 1500rpm. It used to run just under 1000. The other '99 runs less than 1000 or even less. I don't have a CEL, but I'm wondering if there is anything that I should look for? Does the TPS have to be adjusted? I can't hear if there is a vacuum leak.

2). It has a clicking noise, sounds like a lifter ticking. I'm running 10W-40 now, would anything like lucas oil help with that ticking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Legionairre

Car: 1999 outback wagon 2.5L
Re: Engine idling issues/noise

Quote:
Originally posted by evanejp1980
I have a '99 OBW with a 2.5L DOHC/5-speed. Cars got about 140k now. It's got a couple of issues, that I didn't really notice until I spent a bit of time over the past holiday in another '99 OBW 2.5/automatic with about 72k.

1). I've got a really high idle. It idles whether warm or not at around 1500rpm. It used to run just under 1000. The other '99 runs less than 1000 or even less. I don't have a CEL, but I'm wondering if there is anything that I should look for? Does the TPS have to be adjusted? I can't hear if there is a vacuum leak.

2). It has a clicking noise, sounds like a lifter ticking. I'm running 10W-40 now, would anything like lucas oil help with that ticking.
hey fellow subaru'er
but you may want to check your IAC valve (idle air control) valve. take a small hammer and tap the top of the IAC valve see if theres any effect

but as far as your CEL when you turn the key to ACC or on, when you do this all the lights will come on calls a bulb check and you should see your "check engine" light come on for 3 secs and go off or sometimes it will stay on but if that doesnt happen the mechanic may have pulled out hte light to so called fix the problem. but doa bulb check and get back to me

but as far as your ticking your not alone im trying to find my ticking but i think i have more serious problems but i have tried lucas oil no luck but i have used 5-30 and i have read that thiner oil helps bec it flows faster, all i know is that for toyotas we use 10-30 (man i cant wait to move to subaru tho ) but does your ticking ever go away? does it sound like its coming from the left bank( side directions are looked from as if your sitting in the drivers seat)

best of luck let me know how you make out
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 11:13 AM

Car: 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5
Have the valves ever been adjusted on this car? Check the maintenance schedule and it will state the valve adjustment needs to be checked and adjusted as needed at, I think, 100k miles. I own this same model with 172k miles, and the engine, over time time, developed a tick that was resolved when the valves were adjusted.

As already stated, the idle is controlled by the IAC, and should never be adjusted unless it has just been replaced. Check for a signal at the IAC from the computer. If the signal is arriving at the IAC, the IAC may be bad.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:41 PM

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback
Today I was under the hood changing out my air filter and I noticed that I have a ticking noise as well. Almost sounds like a valve that is being tapped somewhere. Standing in front of the car while facing it, the ticking is coming from the left side of the car and I can hear it very well when I put my ear close to the camshaft pulleys.

I remember I called a dealer once about doing a valve adjustment and he made it sound like I was nuts. Said something to the affect of... "You know I have to pull the heads off the motor right?"... while laughing as if I was crazy.

OP... have you done anything to resolve this issue?

What would a valve adjustment cost for a 1998?... anyone know?

Andre

2006 Honda S2000 (Good Weather Warrior)
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback (Extreme Weather Warrior)
2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium (Wifey's Ride)
2013 Super Cycles Scooter: 1500-Watt Brushless Motor (702 MPGe... Ohhhh the savings!!)
2006 Orbea Mitis - Full Shimano Ultegra (Cycling Road Bike)
2005 Trek 7500FX (Cycling Hybrid)

--------------------Previously Owned--------------------
1986 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel (Loud but miss 55 mpg... lol.)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 02:35 PM

Car: 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5
It wasn't necessary for my mechanic to pull the heads for the valve adjustment. Consider calling another shop. As far as the cost, what is a reliable wrench worth to you? Poor quality work at a good price does not equal value.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 03:00 PM
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy
To adjust the valve clearance on the dohc shim style without removing the engine or heads the special tool is required. That could be why some shops don't want to do it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 03:10 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Today I was under the hood changing out my air filter and I noticed that I have a ticking noise as well. Almost sounds like a valve that is being tapped somewhere. Standing in front of the car while facing it, the ticking is coming from the left side of the car and I can hear it very well when I put my ear close to the camshaft pulleys.

I remember I called a dealer once about doing a valve adjustment and he made it sound like I was nuts. Said something to the affect of... "You know I have to pull the heads off the motor right?"... while laughing as if I was crazy.
In addition to valve lifters, a ticking sound that seems to be coming from the side of the engine could originate with a fuel injector.

Another possibility is a spark plug wire extension that is not fully seated on the spark plug (or has backed off). There could be a small gap inside the spark plug extension boot causing a spark each time that cylinder is fired, and this will resonate in the spark plug tube and sound like a mechanical tick. (This was mentioned here quite some time ago, and might have originated in an Endwrench article.)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by westone
It wasn't necessary for my mechanic to pull the heads for the valve adjustment. Consider calling another shop. As far as the cost, what is a reliable wrench worth to you? Poor quality work at a good price does not equal value.
That is understood, but I figured going to a Subaru mechanic would be the best bet as far as getting work done to a Subaru.

How did your mechanic do the adjustment without pulling the heads?

I know that the 2000+ Outbacks just need a special tool to adjust them but the 1st generation does not have such a thing (or at least as far as I know).

Andre

2013 Super Cycles Scooter: 1500-Watt Brushless Motor (702 MPGe... Ohhhh the savings!!)

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by plain OM

In addition to valve lifters, a ticking sound that seems to be coming from the side of the engine could originate with a fuel injector.

Another possibility is a spark plug wire extension that is not fully seated on the spark plug (or has backed off). There could be a small gap inside the spark plug extension boot causing a spark each time that cylinder is fired, and this will resonate in the spark plug tube and sound like a mechanical tick. (This was mentioned here quite some time ago, and might have originated in an Endwrench article.)
I'll try pushing down on them to make sure that they are fully pushed in and making complete contact with the spark plug.

As far as the "special tool" that is needed to make the adjustment without removing the heads... is there a special name for this special tool so that I can ask the Subaru dealer mechanic without having to ask him if he has THE "Special Tool"? lol.

Andre

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 03:55 PM
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy
2000 Outback actually needs no special tool to adjust the valve clearance. It has the set screw type, just need the right size wrench and a screwdriver.

The special tool for the 2.5L dohc's that use the bucket/shim style is 498187200 ref: http://subaru.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=593
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: