No Radio (stock) in a '99 Subaru? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-10-2014, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default No Radio (stock) in a '99 Subaru?

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I bought a '99 Legacy Outback a few months back (on ebay, actually, cringe) and it came without a radio installed. I found this even more odd because the stock "spaceholder" was there as well.

Additionally, the car has no front or rear speakers! I did remove the cupholder and saw a harness back there to accomodate a headunit, but I have no idea if the wiring is in place for the speakers.

This seems really bizarre b/c the car has cruise, heated seats, etc so there's no way it's bone stock. It seems the original owner ordered it without a radio or speakers? Is this possible? Am I dead wrong on my assumptions, and someone took the originals out?

Any help would be appreciated!
ekaj000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Originals removed.

Radio/speakers were standard.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

maybe not 'impossible'. Perhaps a deaf person used Subaru's 'accessibility' or w'ever program to save a little $ and ordered it minus the radio? Or some kind of government special purchase?

But, that seems highly unlikely and I bet VERY close examination of all the attachment points would reveal some scratches/marks where speakers and the head unit were originally installed.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2002 Pair: VDC Wagon 3.0 & Outback Sedan 2.5 LTD

original head unit could have blown out, and the user did not listen to it at all, and they just got the cover for $5-$10.

Dealers have also always played switcheroo with the cars on the lot, trying to make customers happy when the port installers run short of such things.

as such on the lot they could have taken the head unit out of yours and put it in another car to make that customer happy,...based on the style of the head unit. then someone comes in and says they want a outback limited and they don't listen to the radio at all,...and the dealer gives them a discount for $100 for not scrounging another radio out of yet another car.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

I have seen one car like this in person. It had no stereo, no speakers, and no tach in the cluster, either.
How to put a Modern Stereo in your 2005-2009 Outback with Automatic Climate Control
Did you know your 2005-2009 Outback has a built-in diagnostic scanner?
rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Sounds like a Legacy Brighton. Didn't know they made an OB version of that, but I suppose anything's possible.

Always parting/fixing a subie or three. . . email me if you need parts. Mostly fool with 2nd gen stuff (00-04).

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
lockmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 99 OTBK 5MT 2.5

If you want a AM/FM/WB with tape for that year I have spare you can have, plus a CD player too OEM
Rotorhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: