EGR valve troubles - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

No, the PQR labels are all on/near the top. See the linked photo for the tube in the center bottom ... that's the one I was referring to.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/gallery...14741aa020.jpg
RobLog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2009 Outback Wagon

Pulled the BPR of today and I can blow threw it either way. I can even block off the P,Q, and R ports and it still lets air go either way. Is it bad for sure? Roby

After I posted this response I visited ANSWERS.COM in researching the BPR valve. This what they said about the Valve:

Answer:
make sure you have vacuum to the transducer, i believe there will be 2 hoses coming from the throttle body. make sure that the metal line that connects to the bottom of the transducer is not clogged with carbon. if you have vacuum and that line is clear, take the hose that goes to the egr vsv solenoid off the transducer and rev the engine up. if it is good you will have vacuum through the transducer, if its bad no vacuum will be there.
Roby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150

Quote:
Originally posted by Roby
take the hose that goes to the egr vsv solenoid off the transducer and rev the engine up. if it is good you will have vacuum through the transducer, if its bad no vacuum will be there.
Yes, that makes sense. BTW, the BPT port labeled "Q" is the one that goes to the EGR Solenoid Valve and it should have continuous vacuum with the engine running at operating RPMs. At approx. 3000 RPM, the computer sends a signal to the EGR solenoid to open and allow the vacuum through to the EGR valve which moves the EGR valve diaphram and opens the valve.

If you haven't already run across this, check out the document at:

http://www.vcertt.org/news/11-02.pdf

Great how-to on troubleshooting a P0400 on a 97OB.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks, Great article from vcertt. Will do some good testing in the next few days. will keep you posted. Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Good news on the trouble shooting. By using the guide at "vcertt" (earlier post) I was able to pinpoint my trouble to the Backpressure transducer. I also found that by using a small hose and appling mouth vacumm to the different ports in the EGR system you can litterly check each component for vacumm or postive pressure without taking any of them off the car. I was even able to check the operation of the EGR solenoid by connecting my small hose to the input port of the solenoid and rev'ing the engine to half trottle and with mouth vacumm I could operate the EGR valve pintle, by making that test I knew the 12v and ground were operating the solenoid and the passage was good going the the EGR valve. I have not replaced the BPR yet as I am still scanning the internet for the best price. So far it's $53.22 plus shipping. Does anyone know of a good place to look? I'll keep you posted when the light is actually OUT! Roby
Old 11-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Congrats on the successful detective work.

www.subaruonlineparts.com has the BPT for $51. They're in NY, I think. As nearly always, shipping charges stink.

If a local dealer will sell it to you for list, $73.92, it might be worth it to save time if they have it in stock. Most of them charge list+, though.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

GOOD NEWS. I was able to find a '96 Legacy wagon in the junk yard that had a good BPR. I got it for $10.00 and have had installed for about a week with no CELight. The Legacy also had a EGR valve and the solenoid, I think I could get them for almost nothing, just for spares. About the solenoid...I couldn't see very well in how it comes off. Does anyone know how it is removed?. Looks to me like it maybe could have 1 0r 2 bolts or a clip...can't see beyond the valve very well with it still in place. Any help would be appreciated. Roby
Old 11-30-2009, 01:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

The solenoid is held on by one bolt ... 12mm head IIRC.

To get a socket on the head, I had to loosen the 8 intake manifold bolts enough to raise the IM about 1/2". If you have a thinwall deep socket, you may not have to do this.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:37 AM   #19 (permalink)

Car: 98 outback, 2.5L
Default egr circulation issues

I have been fighting a PO400 code for a couple of months now. I went through the entire system. Found a bad BPT. replaced it with the same issue again. I found a clogged PCV hose. Pulled the tube and followed it down into the block. I attached an air hose to the tube that t's off and feeds into the rocker covers and blew out chunks of carbon. I replaced the PCV valve, and it runs like a new car.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

Well my cel light has stayed off from my last post when I changed the BPT until now. In testing this time I found the EGR solenoid to be bad. I removed the solenoid and applied grd and batt to it and I could barely hear it click. It didn't allow any air through it. I tried cleaning the passages but no luck. Relay is just not pulling up. I have ordered one..will be here next week. I my testing I found that the hose coming to the bottom of the BPT...called the "exhaust gas pressure port" was wet.
I'm not sure where this hose comes from, but it is (exhaust gas pressure) so i'm thinking it could be condensation, much like what comes out of your tail pipe. . If so...that could be the cause of my BPT going bad and now the solenoid. While waiting of the solenoid I bypassed the solenoid and went from the BPT to the EGR valve. Everything works fine now, but I'm sure the CEL will return because the Egr valve is not suppose to operate until the veicle is warmed up and now it operates right from the get go. Back to condensation problem, not wanting to moisten the BPT or the EGR valve I have installed a OIL/WATER separator in line with exhaust gas port hose. This moisture I'm getting in that line, is it a sign of something much bigger...like a head gasket? where could that moisture be coming from?. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Roby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: