Subaru Outback Forums banner

Leaking coolant on passenger side. New radiator?

9K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  brucep 
#1 ·
1997 outback, 2.5l manual, 235,700 miles.

Just changed t-belt, water pump, coolant about 1000 miles ago.

Just saw my temp gauge climb up the other day (not all the way, just a little). Checked my overflow tank and it was empty. Then looked down and noticed the front end of the car (near the radiator drain plug on the bottom) is wet. I'm guessing there's a slight leak in my radiator or the drain plug is bad? I refilled with coolant and car is fine again, but there is still leaking because as soon as I park I can see drip marks.

When I changed my t-belt, I removed the radiator. But there was still another radiator in front of it. Or is that something else?! I figured I had only one radiator, but then looking for replacements I see there are 2-radiator cars from early 1997.

So, any advice? Do you think I need to replace the radiator? Maybe the drain plug is cracked (does that happen?).

Thanks!

#2 ·
DO NOT let that engine overheat! Don't rely on the level in the o;flow bottle, check inside the rad. Coolant should be up into the neck. Try a new rad. cap. Thoroughly check the little o'flow tube and the o'flow bottle for cracks/holes.

you can have the cooling system pressure tested to determine exactly what is leaking.

that other coil is the a/c condenser.

#3 ·
Yes, like I said, the leak is from below, near the drain plug. So either the drain plug is cracked or there is a hole in my radiator.

I think I'll just drain the radiator, check the figment of the plug, refill with distilled water and see if to still leaks. If so I'll just get a new radiator.

#9 ·
I bought the spectra cu2082 on Amazon for $120 and also ordered new gates upper and lower radiator hoses. Took a couple tries to get rid of the air on the system but eventually got it out and had hot air blowing out the vents. Car hasn't overheated yet, although I have only driven it about 10 miles. But no leaks, which is what caused the overheating. Also changed the oil today. Previous owner changed it every 5,000 miles. It was black and the level was really low. I think only about 2 quarts came out! Yikes!

Anyway, drove it about 10 miles, no overheating, hot air from the vents. So I'm happy. I plan on driving it all week to work to see how it is. I plan on driving up 101 north to Eurka for the 3 day weekend, so needed to get this fixed. I'll keep this up to date.

#10 ·
You may find, for the first couple weeks of heat-cycling, the overflow tank may drop a bit. This is because there may be some residual air-bubbles in the system which take time to work their way out.

I replaced my radiator a couple weeks ago... The resivour it is just now starting to stabilize when it cools off. (The turbocharged system has a lot more plumbing and TWO pressure-caps)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.