Head Gasket Failure in 2.2 liter models? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Head Gasket Failure in 2.2 liter models?

Has anyone had a head gasket failure in a 2.2 liter? I have a '99 OBS with 222,000 miles- funny smell (like a head gasket going; had a '00 OB with 2.5 & head gasket went and it had similar smell), but no oil leak that I can see and coolant level hasn't gone down much. Smell it especially in cold weather or in high elevations in summer. Could oil be leaking out of head gasket and burning itself off on engine? Would the Subaru Coolant Add On affiliated with the 2.5 liter recall help? Just changed the coolant last summer before going to Colorado. I know with the miles it just may be the life expectancy of the engine, but I don't know. Any ideas?
tsubaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

there's no reason to suspect headgasket. if you suspect leaking coolant due to smell - the first logical step is to check for coolant loss - are you loosing any coolant? if it's leaking then your level is going to drop. start there.

if you're loosing coolant you need to find out where it's going. after a quarter million miles (traveling to the moon) it's not hard to envision a hose or clamp needing replaced or a leak in a radiator, etc. those are far more common than HG's.

it's only the later Phase II (99 or 00+) EJ25's that leak externally and create the smell. the earlier EJ25's...and your EJ22 are unlikely to fail in that way. no need to borrow grief from another motor and experience - if you suspect a leak, verify it first, then find it. as for the additive, i doubt you'll need it or that it'll work on this motor. but if you did have the bizarre case of an external leaking gasket then try it if you're not willing to replace the gasket.

if it ends up being a headgasket, that's not too surprising on a 10+ year old car with that many miles. if all the miles weren't all under your belt then the car was probably overheated at some point in it's life as EJ22 headgaskets don't fail without provocation.

so yes - headgaskets fail in EJ22's, they are *caused*, not random occurrences like the EJ25.
grossgary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Subaru Outback Wgn Automatic, Air, Cold Climate Pkg, CD, 2 Tone Grey, 107000 miles right now

I just replaced my headgasket on my 05 Outback. Did not have any antifreeze smell, but the oil was leaking on the exhaust and when I was going slow I could smell it in the car. Did not have any showing up on the ground.
Northwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood View Post
I just replaced my headgasket on my 05 Outback.
that's not relevant to this guy, different engine. yours has a history of headgasket issues, including Subaru redesigning the gaskets, offering an extended 100,000 mile headgasket warranty from 2000-2002, a required coolant additive due to the issue in 2000+ EJ25's...et.al. - this motor this poster is referencing does not.

2000+ EJ25 headgasket failures are common, you're describing well known symptoms.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

i beg to differ. The phase II 2.2's are suspect as well for HG issues due to the changing of the material used to make the HG. The 2.5 Turbos and 2.0 Turbo's did NOT have this issue because they made the gasket out of different material to be able to handle the increase in pressure.

The only 2.2L motor that has no self caused HG issue is the earlier 1996 and lower ones.
2point2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point2 View Post
i beg to differ. The phase II 2.2's are suspect as well for HG issues due to the changing of the material used to make the HG. The 2.5 Turbos and 2.0 Turbo's did NOT have this issue because they made the gasket out of different material to be able to handle the increase in pressure.

The only 2.2L motor that has no self caused HG issue is the earlier 1996 and lower ones.
what is beautiful about this discussion is that you can quantitatively verify this nearly any day or week of the year. if you search all of ebay and craiglist (best) and the subaru forums - you will find tons of blown EJ25 headgaskets. a zillion Ej25 adds or threads...and few EJ22's. you can find webpages dedicated to 2.5 liter head gasket failures (skips page comes to mind), and Subaru never offered the extended headgasket warranty on Phase II Ej22's - only EJ25's...the Ej22 will remain eerily silent except for very anecdotal occurrences and no trends to speak of.

and that's the experience of folks like me and other people that do this every day or week of the year - we see EJ25's all the time, not a week goes buy that i couldn't buy a (or few) blown headgasket EJ25's. i have a blown EJ25 in my driveway right now, another in my garage, and i know two guys within 10 minutes of my house each with one as well.

i'm not trying to change your mind. you can have your opinion. all i'm saying is that anyone that wants statistically significant and verifiable evidence can verify just what i said in a matter of minutes via all the resources above, i recommend craigslist, it's very obvious if you use that. the online resources that scour all of craigslist for you are really nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: