Subaru Outback Forums banner

H6 swap? to manual transmission

10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  digdug18 
#1 ·
I'm looking for information about possibly swapping to an H6, looking at the newer engines, seeing that they are shorter and all.

I searched but the search function doesn't like short terms.

#2 · (Edited)
3rd Gen H6 EZ30R + 6 speed manual were available ex Japan JDM in legacy wagon and sedan

We can get them here in NZ ex japan 2nd hand

#3 ·
Clarification:

You are wanting to put a 3.0 or a 3.6 in your 1999 Outback?

#5 ·
This swap has been done before. You need to use the earlier H6, the 2001-2004 EZ30D. It's technically possible to fit the more powerful 2005-up EZ30R in there, but you would have to use your own standalone ECU to manage it. That would make things much, much more difficult.

You'll want the engine, crossmember, instrument cluster, fuel pump, radiator, ecu and engine wiring harness from the H6 donor car. Maybe more.

Biggest drawback is mpg, since the car is still geared for an H4 engine.

#6 ·
ok, thanks for the info. Looking at the 30 or the 36 myself. Just looking for info right now before I start rounding up parts and all.

I'm kinda tempted to buy a 01-04 llbean and swap in a manual, but i'd kinda like to start with a manual.

#7 ·
dealing with a 1999 without rust makes for a fine around town 2 lane beater,

but not worth wasting time on a H6 transplant. (not enough room, primitive rear suspension)

something that the nose pickers on Naisoc may kick around,...and maybe get to actually drive here and there. be it with a EZ30D or a EG33, you are still sticking a big engine in a bay that it is not native to,

and all that will happen is you will go blind on wiring.

Plenty of EZ30D cars poking around, ...you can find them cheap if they are already identified as needing a new engine due to head gaskets. ...and you can get a JDM one of those for $900-$1200 and it drops right in. get a manual trans,

...sell the automatic 4EAT thats in it, and get a custom tune on the ECU so it is not looking for the 4EAT TCU and you are done.

the 4EAT is OK, I shift my pair on the gated handle all day from 3 to 4, I wish it was a 5EAT

but never really thought about having another car with a clutch since I sold my old ones back in 2001.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.