Can I remove the AWD fuse? - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonhp View Post
Doesn't the fuse being present mean that the AWD is already disabled and you are running front wheel drive only right now?
No, AWD has not been disabled, and the fuse is still there. Still driving AWD.
gwenakinyi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2003 Outback LL Bean w/163K Miles

I think what wilsohp was saying is that there is a FWD fuse socket that should be empty. When a fuse is installed, the AWD is turned off and the car is FWD only. This is done if you have a flat tire.

Below is a copy from the 2002 manual:
NOTE
[Automatic transmission vehicle not equipped with VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control)] Before driving your vehicle with the temporary spare tire, put a spare fuse inside the FWD connector located in the engine compartment and confirm that the Front-wheel drive warning light comes on. The all wheel drive capability of the vehicle has now
been deactivated. After re-installing the conventional tire, remove the spare fuse from the FWD connector in order to reactivate all wheel drive.
cougar70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i Touring (SE) D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

On earlier models, I believe including the 99, there was a special AWD/FWD fuse holder near the firewall on the right hand side. (On later models there's a fuse slot in the main fuse box on the left side of the engine compartment.)

When a fuse is inserted into the special fuse holder (or the AWD slot in the main fuse box on later models), the AWD is disabled and the AWD (or FWD) warning light should come on. Otherwise, when there is no fuse in the holder, the car is in AWD mode.

All the fuse (Subaru refers to it as a "switch") is doing is grounding a logic circuit in the transmission control module, telling the TCM to turn off the AWD (i.e. disengage the transfer clutch fully, and permanently, as long as the fuse is in the slot). Consequently, any spare fuse can be used to disable the AWD.

If there is a fuse in the AWD/FWD fuse holder then the AWD should be disabled and the warning light should be On. But, then, that assumes that the fuse and the connections to it are good, and that the warning bulb itself is good.

Quote:
he showed me where it was.
Could you describe where the fuse that you are referring to is located, or post a photo?

(Woops -- I see I doubled with cougar70. Oh well. I'll leave this in for now.)
Attached Thumbnails
Can I remove the AWD fuse?-99-awd-switch.jpg  

Last edited by plain OM; 04-11-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: doubled
plain OM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar70 View Post
I think what wilsohp was saying is that there is a FWD fuse socket that should be empty. When a fuse is installed, the AWD is turned off and the car is FWD only. This is done if you have a flat tire.

Below is a copy from the 2002 manual:
NOTE
[Automatic transmission vehicle not equipped with VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control)] Before driving your vehicle with the temporary spare tire, put a spare fuse inside the FWD connector located in the engine compartment and confirm that the Front-wheel drive warning light comes on. The all wheel drive capability of the vehicle has now
been deactivated. After re-installing the conventional tire, remove the spare fuse from the FWD connector in order to reactivate all wheel drive.
Ah, I see that I was misinformed and my original post was misleading. The mechanic must have meant that I could ADD the FWD fuse, not remove an AWD fuse, in order to disengage the AWD. I just checked, and yes the FWD fuse is currently empty.

I assume that adding the FWD fuse for any length of time would pose the same risks mentioned in earlier responses: extra strain on the driveshaft, axle, etc., and thus not a good idea as a summer fuel economizer?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

It will have 0, none, negative, absolutely no effect on fuel economy.

Nil, nein, zip, zilch.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDFTW View Post
It will have 0, none, negative, absolutely no effect on fuel economy.

Nil, nein, zip, zilch.
Understood, thanks. I think the solution is that I ride my bike more, drive less, and be grateful for the AWD when driving to remote trailheads and snowy forest service roads.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Car: 98 Outback Limited - CCR EJ22 installed 2006

Wilsonhp, you are correct.

Someone also suggested this to me (going 2WD) to improve gas mileage, but it didn't make much difference and the car didn't feel as sure-footed. My current Subi guru says that's more of a test mode to use in diagnosing problems. FWIW.

The best thing I've done to get better mileage (and improve idle and responsiveness) was to change out the front and rear diff fluid. If you don't know when that was done last, maybe consider it? And a can of good injector cleaner stuff doesn't hurt, either.
kreggor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Car: RIP 1996 2.2 Outback

How far do you drive when you DO drive? If it's not getting up to full temp then yes your mileage will be terrible. That's some crap mileage, you should at least be seeing 25 in mixed driving.
Subaru_dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Car: 2011, OB 3.6r Ltd/Nav

Have you considered a Prius or other hybrid's? I don't know of anybody that has purchased an OB for the fuel economy. Sure as heck wouldn't be my first choice.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Just this guy, you know.

Car: 2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.

If you want to disable the AWD to improve fuel economy you will have to do the following:

Remove drive shaft, remove rear differential, remove rear axles, weld the center differential and seal the transmission hole from where the drive shaft used to be. By eliminating all the mass of the rear drive components, you will increase the fuel economy. But the car will be FWD permanently. Going back to AWD will be a pain in the rear.

All those components take energy to turn. Even if the AWD is disabled, they are still turning. That energy comes from your engine and will effect gas mileage.

You may be better off to sell the car and get something else. Maybe a used Jetta TDI wagon?
Startiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: