Subaru Outback Forums banner

What did you do with your 1st gen OB today?

156K views 723 replies 218 participants last post by  Yourghostisagift 
#1 ·
Many of the other Subie forums have them so I'm starting this thread up to find out what y'all are doing to your 1st generation Subies. STICKY REQUEST

Cheers!

#2 ·
My wife's car is our first subie (Redbaru) which is a '97 OB wagon. I am in the process of re-snorking it and getting it as close to stock as possible with an exception of her JDM replacement engine.

Today I installed the last few air filter parts that were taken off when I had a CAI going on in there.

#3 ·
i made a screen to go over my sunroof, i added another 12v outet in the back, i put in a new Knock Sensor. And i did my PCV valve. Next is to intergate a power inverter into the rear of the subie. and i am also working on plans to make a easliy removable light bar for the top.

#5 ·
Next up, Rallitek sway-bars! (anyone have a good used set?)
I ordered one today even though they're out of stock from rallitek. I'm hoping I didn't miss out at my shot at a new one because the rep wasn't real optimistic about them getting more.

Otherwise I've been on a old Outback "firm up" mission. In the last couple weeks I've replaced all four struts, tranny mount, front end links (all of which we're beyond worn), and I have a Group N pitch mount on the way. Each upgrade has made a significant improvement in the handling and ride quality. I really hope that swaybar comes back into stock! That would be the last piece of the puzzle to complete my mission.

#7 · (Edited)
Sway Bar arrived today!

It came! I installed it in about an hour. The picture shows it mounted in the middle position, but I settled on the softest position (closest to the end) because it didn't overpower the front as much. I can't imagine using the stiffest setting without installing a bigger front sway. Even in the middle position, the front felt too light.

Edit 9/15/11: After getting used to the "soft" setting, I found myself wanting even less roll, so I moved it back to the middle. Now that I think about it, one of the things that surprised me initially with this car was how heavy the front felt in corners. Now I'm embracing the lighter front end feel I was used to in my Accord. I wouldn't be surprised if I go the the stiffest setting on the sway before too long!

Edit to the edit 9/16/11: Yup, it took only one day for me to put it on the 25mm setting. It's amazing how much difference it makes! The whole car feels so much more solid, and it corners likes it's on rails! Best bang-for-your-buck mod for this gen of Outbacks.

I also installed the STi pitch mount, and that makes a nice improvement in acceleration off the line. I'm thinking about installing the matching transmission mount (in an effort to eliminate the lashing in the tranny when letting off the gas), but I think it would add more noise and vibration than I want.

#13 ·
recommendation for new struts/shocks

It came! I installed it in about an hour. The picture shows it mounted in the middle position, but I settled on the softest position (closest to the end) because it didn't overpower the front as much. I can't imagine using the stiffest setting without installing a bigger front sway. Even in the middle position, the front felt too light.

Edit 9/15/11: After getting used to the "soft" setting, I found myself wanting even less roll, so I moved it back to the middle. Now that I think about it, one of the things that surprised me initially with this car was how heavy the front felt in corners. Now I'm embracing the lighter front end feel I was used to in my Accord. I wouldn't be surprised if I go the the stiffest setting on the sway before too long!

Edit to the edit 9/16/11: Yup, it took only one day for me to put it on the 25mm setting. It's amazing how much difference it makes! The whole car feels so much more solid, and it corners likes it's on rails! Best bang-for-your-buck mod for this gen of Outbacks.

I also installed the STi pitch mount, and that makes a nice improvement in acceleration off the line. I'm thinking about installing the matching transmission mount (in an effort to eliminate the lashing in the tranny when letting off the gas), but I think it would add more noise and vibration than I want.
Hi Gotsquat,
Is there a recommendation for a good replacement for the struts/ shocks?

Are there any other suppliers for upgraded rear sway bars?

Do you have a lead for replacement bushing suppllies? ive found some polyurethane ones online- havent ordered yet at: Subaru Legacy (1995 - 1999) Urethane Bushings -- PowerflexUSA Online Store

Thanks for any help,
Scott
P.S.- gotsquat, watch out that you don't use more amps than your alternator can put out, all those lights, wipers, fan, rear defrost etc really add up. Each 50 watt bulb burns off 5 amps more or less.

#8 · (Edited)
Now that the kids are back in school, it's safe to come out of the house. Getting ready for a 2,500 light year ... um ... 2500 mile road trip:

-changed oil/filter
-drained-n-filled trans
-renewed fluid in power steering (first time ever) using turkey baster method.
-rotated tires, checked air pressure
-filled windshield washer reservoir
-added distilled water to battery
-flushed cooling system and refilled.
-checked oil level in front and rear differential ... OK
-checked brake fluid tank ... OK
-replaced flux capacitor tubes
-cleaned and charged worm hole generator
-took her out for a wash-n-wax

Ready to go!

Edit: car ran perfectly, including on some pretty hairy hills, i.e. CA-Hwy120 eastbound from the valley into Yosemite, from Yosemite Valley up to Glacier point, and CA-Hwy299 westbound out of Redding. Very happy with my car.

#31 ·
hi there

Cleared headlights, and finally decided to remove the fog lamp guards. It just drove me nuts that I could never get them clean with them on. With the PIAA driving lights, I can really light up the night!

Hi, What did you mean that you cleaned the headlights? What did you use? I have a 99 Outback Wagon and mine looked scratched. Also my fog lights are broken.

#10 ·
I thrashed my ride over the weekend and came to the conclusion I REALLY need a bash plate/ skid plate and a Low Range if I'm gonna continue having a lot of fun with her. Checked for damages and realized I bashed my oil pan, destroyed my drivers axle and steering boots,bent up my pinch weld and rockers on my drivers side as well and bent my heavy duty bumper when I had the front end held up by the side of it on a rock. Have videos and hope to post sometime within the next week. Have picks of my pan though.

:gasp::eek::gasp::eek:
Did better than I expected though:29:

#12 ·
Sorry, forgot to finish that I replaced my drivers side steering rack boot and discovered my axle boot is trashed. Also did an undercarriage look over to see what other damages I did.

#15 ·
Outback.

#17 ·
Few most recent things i got done..
-lowered on 03 wrx wagon struts/springs in rear and eibach lowering springs w/03 wagon shocks up front.
-Cleared the front sidemarkers, through in v-led 92smt switchbacks(white running and turns orange for blinkers)
-JDM headlights
-JDM grill
-v-led 6k HID high beams(already had 3k hid fogs, 6k lows, 6k reverse hids w/ reverse override switch) -all v-led, 92smt led running/stop bulbs, orange 7W highpower led bulbs in rear turn signals, led liscense plate bulbs
-pioneer 4300 deck, JL audio speakers, amp and sub....it pumps now!
-Compustar 1mile autostart w/ alarm system w/ 2way lcd screen remote
-tinted the rear tails
-higher output alternator(110 or 115amps vs stock 85amps)
-ralliltek 22mm adjustable RSB
-removed roof rails and had my shop paint roof gloss black(will throw rails back on when winter comes so i can put my dual angle inno snowboard rack up top) roof rails were sanded and painted gloss black aswell

thought this was worth mentioning, subaru ftw

#20 ·
I had to install a new water temperature sensor for the emission system. The old one threw a code, and it intermittently went into an over-rich condition like the engine was cold, even when it was hot. Of course, it couldn't be a simple fix like most normal cars; this required removal of the intake manifold to get to the sensor. Grrr...:mad:
All better now, though.

#22 ·
I changed the oil and filter in mine this morning. It was about 1000 miles overdue! The oil looked a bit too runny, like it had gas in it. It didn't smell like gas, but it wasn't the consistency that 4000 mile old oil should be. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that.

#23 ·
Check your PVC.

Did you change the oil hot or cold?

#26 ·
swapped out my '99 Blizzak WS-15 out for General Altimax Arctics.
12 winters on the Blizzaks (kept them on this summer)

#30 ·
I sold my 1999 Outback today. :( Gosh I'm going to miss it!! 13 years (bought it in Oct 1998) and 127,128 miles - hands down the best car I've ever owned!!! Still fun to drive and still not one single squeak or rattle! Bought a 2009 Limited (2012's were not a much fun to drive) and had to make room in the garage for it. I can only hope the 2009 is as good as the 1999 has been (but it already has two small rattles). :(