Climate control issues... - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 99 Legacy Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Climate control issues...

Hey guys...new to this forum. I have a 99 Legacy Outback. So far I have read alot of info on this site...tried searching the forum but I could not find the answer to the issue I am having. The climate control selectors will not change the vent door in the dash when the engine is running. If I just turn the key to on, and don't start the engine, the different selections will work (i.e. defrost, floor vents, etc). When the engine is running it will only stay on the dash vents option.

Does anyone know if this is an electrical issue within the switch itself? I hate to buy another switch if that is not the issue...but I am at a loss as to how to troubleshoot this.

Also...the other day I accidentally connected the dreaded "green wire" under the dash...even though the check engine light was flashing constantly the vent selectors worked while the engine was running. Once I unplugged the green wire I was back to the same issue.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered!
timf212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry...forgot to mention these are manual climate controls.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

That is strange. I can't think of how it could be a fault in the mode switch(es) if the same switch is being used in both cases, and the ignition switch is also at the same On position.

Is there any change in any other climate control function, for example, does the blower fan work fine in both cases? And does the recirculation function work in both cases? (The latter might be harder to determine, but with the blower running there's usually a distinct change in the air flow sound when the recirculate position is selected or turned off.)

Also, I believe the 99 has the push-button selectors for mode (floor, defrost etc) and each shows a small light when it is selected. (If I'm wrong please let me know.) If so, then when a different mode button is pressed, does the light in that button come on and the one in the previous selection go out?

One thing that does change when the engine is running is that the alternator is turning. Normally, the battery voltage will be higher with the engine running -- battery voltage will be around 12.7 V or less with the engine off, but up around 14 - 14.5 V with the engine at 1000 rpm or more. How this can affect the mode actuator is a puzzle, but it's about all that changes. Might be an idea to verify that the battery voltage is in these ranges with the engine off and running.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply! You are right... it is the manual push button switches that activate an electric motor on the blend door in the dash (as far as I can tell...I couldn't find any vacuum solenoid in the dash). Whether the engine is on or off, the indicators light up in the switches when you press the buttons.

I did not verify the recirculate function...I will check that later when I get off work. I will also check for proper battery votage when the engine is running.

The blower motor works correctly in all cases...it is just the blend door that doesn't function right when the engine is running.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just so we are using terms we mutually understand, the "blend door" is the term normally used for the device inside the heater that adjusts the temperature. It's a vane that directs the flow of air through, or around, the heater core radiator, thereby changing how much air is heated, and how much comes in unheated.

The selection of where the air comes out (floor, windshield, mid-level dash vents etc) is the "mode" control. I believe the problem you're having is with the mode control.

Let us know what you find with the other tests.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 07 Outback wagon 2.5i

Too bad there was no follow up on this. I have the same symptoms. Key-on but not started and the controls work. Start the engine and the mode/blend motors don't seem to function even though the control lights up correctly as I press the various mode buttons. Very strange.

I wonder if the OP found his problem?

tony
TonyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 07 Outback wagon 2.5i

Well, maybe not. This morning, before I started the car, I pressed all of the mode buttons, one after the other and I could hear the motors whirring to move the flaps around. I also turned on the fan to make sure that the air would switch up to the defrost vents and back. Then I put it back on the dash vent setting and started the car. After the engine was running I tried to switch the vents and nothing would move.

At lunchtime I went out and drove somewhere and came back. After I turned the engine off I tried the mode buttons again and they STILL didn't move. Oops. Sounds more like an intermittent thing than engine on-off.

I think that the recirculate flap is on a different motor than the mode flap that moves air from defrost to dash vents to floor. At lunch, I couldn't hear the recirculate do anything either. I don't think I tried recirculate this morning. The odds of two bad motors seems low to me so I am thinking about the button assembly or a connector or a ground somewhere being intermittent.

Tony
TonyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: '97 OBW 2.5 5spd

I haven't seen a wiring diagram to know how it functions. It sounds like a relay issue though. If it's not on a relay then...guess I'm wrong.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I think that the recirculate flap is on a different motor than the mode flap that moves air from defrost to dash vents to floor.
Yes, that's correct. There's two separate motors; one for the Fresh/Recirc, and one for the "Mode" function. Here's a wiring diagram that should apply to your 99.

If neither the fresh/recirc nor the mode controls seem to cause any changes, it does sound as if something is disconnected or a common ground is intermittent.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 99 hvac wiring.pdf (247.8 KB, 272 views)
Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22

i had problems with the buttons not working, not motor issues. and before it failed altogether, i could sometimes get it to work by holding the button down for a long time. the motor would receive power if i held the button.

the control units are not expensive and not too hard to replace. try Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market . not sure about the motors.
canubaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: