Subaru Outback Forums banner

wiper blade overshoots windshield

16K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  rbongiorni 
#1 ·
I discovered another problem with my new/old subaru legacy, the windshield wiper blade on drivers side fails to stop where it should and goes beyond the windshield. I remember a similar problem with one of my Foresters years ago, but never fixed it, I am guessing it is a common problem, but nothing showed up with a search on this forum. Is there an easy solution, like pulling the wiper arm and repositioning it on the shaft in a different position? Not a huge problem, but might not be good for wiper blades. Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Thanks, I have been researching this tonight. I am thinking my problem might be the passenger side linkage bushing that some use the dorman 49447 bushing lit which seems to be working better for the 2000-01 vintage subaru, but might be a tight "smash fit" for the 96-99. I am reading that subaru will sell the left and right linkage parts for not a whole lot of money, but still trying to find part numbers and an online link. I am thinking the subaru replacement linkage parts might be the way to go rather than trying to force the cheap dorman bushing onto the linkage?? Feeling like a detective here, maybe someone has the link to the linkage part for me?

#6 ·
Yeah good luck with that. Whole new linkage didn't solve it for me. Not sure a new wiper motor will either, but that will be my next step. Got these from subarugenuineparts.com
86521AC041

Wiper Linkage
$39.24
$39.24

I should explain, because I reported it solved however it only works properly on low speed and light rain. Still slaps on side AND bottom hard on high speed in deluge.

86521AC001
Wiper Linkage
$16.97
$16.97

#9 ·
Well if that is not frustrating! The google searching I did to try and figure all this out seems to point at 2 common problems, (1) the bushing on the passenger side linkage failing resulting in the driver side blade over extending the range past the driver's side edge of windshield resulting in the "wiper slap" sound as it whacks into the thin strip of frame (A-frame?) that surrounds windshield. (2) the bushing that connects the linkage the the arm coming off the wiper motor failing which allows the blades to have too much slop and they fail to go back into the cowl when shut off and may also overextend beyond the windshield.

I remember my old 2000 forester was worse than my current 96 legacy. It would make loud "slap" noise and sometimes when you shut the blades off they would stop in middle of windshield and you would have to turn them on and off a few times till they stopped at base of windshield.

I am just getting this car going, so premature for me to start replacing parts till I figure out what is really going on and see how it performs at high speed in rain/snow. I just noticed the problem today when I changed out the blades and squirted some washer fluid onto the windshield while parked. The old blades were grabby with friction and they did not have the problem.

#14 ·
I discovered another problem with my new/old subaru legacy, the windshield wiper blade on drivers side fails to stop where it should and goes beyond the windshield. I remember a similar problem with one of my Foresters years ago, but never fixed it, I am guessing it is a common problem, but nothing showed up with a search on this forum. Is there an easy solution, like pulling the wiper arm and repositioning it on the shaft in a different position? Not a huge problem, but might not be good for wiper blades. Thanks for any help.
I was looking for the fix to my wiper issue but seems like the fix would have me disassemble the wiper mechanism. I wasn’t going to do that and decided to bring my Outback to the dealer. But before that I tried something no one here suggested. I muscled the wiper arm downward three inches towards the hood. It works fine now, the wiper stops where it should.