Front transaxle (?) seal question - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 Auto, 95 Legacy EJ22 Standard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Front transaxle (?) seal question

Sorry if my nomenclature is a little off - I'm still getting used to the geometry of this whole thing.

I'm taking care of a few odds and ends on the 95 Brighton we picked up a few weeks ago, including changing the front driver's side CV axle. (I got a Curt hitch from the junkyard too yesterday for $30, so I'm pretty pleased with myself at the moment.) When I pulled the CV axle off the transmission/transaxle/whatever's output shaft, I noticed a little leakage, and the outer metal portion of the seal came off with the inner CV, so obviously that seal's going to have to be replaced too.

My question is this: Is there anything weird or difficult about doing that seal? The reason I ask is that it isn't even mentioned in Haynes, though they go through procedure for replacing the rear side gear seals.
outinthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wait - I take it back. I see now that what I thought was part of the transaxle side gear seal is actually a "baffle plate" pressed onto the inner CV housing, right next to the roll pin. What confused me is that the two CV axles I fetched from the junkyard yesterday (from a 95 2.5 w/auto) don't have them pressed onto the CV, but the assembly I just pulled from my 95 2.2 w/5speed does.

Is this baffle plate just meant to keep road crap from flying into the seal?

Are they used with standards but not with automatic transaxles?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap

Definitely just a dust shield for the axle seal. Not sure about the AT to MT difference I have rePlaced axles in manual foresters that have them. More commonly included. Possibly older part design won't. Probably won't notice a difference.
kirtydandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed

I would try to refit them if i could as they are there to protect the seal from dirt which will most probably cause the seal to leak further down the track.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

It does sound like the very end of the axle came off, those are just kind of punched on there and not welded so that happens sometimes.

If you really do mean the seal around the output stub shaft from the differential, those are a little tricky. There is an o-ring behind the retainer too. You have to turn that retainer off, counting the turns, because it has to go back the exact same number of turns or the backlash will be incorrect.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks very much. I'm going to take another look at this today and see whether the baffle plate can be transplanted to the new (used) CV. And I'll look at the TSM re: the seal, since Haynes doesn't address it.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

If you do the seal in the front diff itself, get the right seal for the side you are working on. On some soobs they are different depending on left or right side.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: