96 Legacy Outback lifter tap? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Car: 1995 Subaru Legacy L Sedan, 2003 Saturn Ion Level 2 Sedan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 Legacy Outback lifter tap?

My wife describes the sound that our subaru makes when you give it even the slightest amount of gas, as "the lawnmower noise" and honestly, that is a good comparison to what it sounds like. You hear it only when going down the road with the WINDOWS OPEN. It is a 2.5L DOHC with new headgaskets, timing belt and all components, blah blah blah, the whole nine yards, just had a fresh oil change and added some STP oil treatment (the problem, prehaps?) I am not too too worried about the sound, it's just annoying, especially after dumping a months worth of salary into our subie. It really is a great car, would just love to have this minor issue resolved. Any tips on how to get rid of that lifter tick or whatever it may be when giving it gas, would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
They're solid lifter (bucket and shim) so adjusting amounts to checking the lash on the current shim(s), removing it, and doing a bit of math to figure out the shim size you need to get it into spec.

If it is lifter noise, the STP won't have any effect on it unless they're bone dry, in which case you'd be about 30 seconds away from cam bearing failure. Not the case, just illustrating.

Were the valves ground when the headgaskets were done?

www.lockmedic.com
ben@lockmedic.com

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

I am not sure if the valves were ground when the headgaskets were done, i know that the manifold and exhaust valves were (if that sounds correct)
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 04:49 AM

I was fairly certain the 96 had hydraulic lifters... solid lifters were introduced in 97 with the revised EJ25D that ran on 87 octane. The 96 EJ25D ran on premium, made less power than the 97, and was only available with the automatic.

Going off this, it could simply be a sticky lifter. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 10:40 AM

Car: 01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
Quote:
I was fairly certain the 96 had hydraulic lifters... solid lifters were introduced in 97 with the revised EJ25D that ran on 87 octane. The 96 EJ25D ran on premium, made less power than the 97, and was only available with the automatic.

i thought this as well, along with the set up being different than the 96 ej22 HLAs. not sure how, if it is really different.

do you think checking the valve clearance would be informative?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Basically, I am wondering what my next step might be. You don't seem to hear it at idle, and not much if at all when reving it up in park, only when going down the road. Perhaps it's something else? Exhaust related? I am not quite sure. It just sounds similar to a "lawnmower" according to my wife. LOL!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 02:50 PM

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean
What does it sound like to you?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Well, honestly, it kinda does sound like a lawn mower.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:23 PM

Car: 07 2.5i
Maybe an exhaust leak?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
remember we can't see, drive, hear, touch, or otherwise diagnose *at all*, so while we have more collective experience than any Subaru dealer in the world.....we're really limited in what we can do on a forum as well.

if it was exhaust i would expect it should be noticeable if you were standing outside the vehicle and someone revved the motor while in neutral/park. try that first.

when it's revved up in neutral - park what does it do? any sounds then?

are you positive it never made this sound before the headgasket repair?

sounds like you have driven it some miles, sometimes the HLA's, if yours is so equipped, take some time to prime and quiet down after a head job. have you changed the oil since the HG job?

after that we'll need to know more about this noise - it could be the timing belt tensioner flopping around (a tap, tap, tap kind of noise) - this usually happens under load - which would be while driving as you're experiencing.

H6 VDC OBW, H6 OB Sedan, XT6's, castrated LSi - FWD EJ18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: