1999 Outback Rocky Mountain Edition - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 1999 Outback Rocky Mountain Edition

Hi there! I'm brand new to this site and Subarus in general. Im looking to get a used Subaru Outback as I live in Colorado and want a vehicle that is spacious (wagon!) and reliable in snow and semi-off roads, while getting decent gas mileage. I came across this add on Craigslist and would appreciate some critique on what's being offered at the price. I'm supposed to check it out tomorrow morning .. Thanks!

1999 Subaru Outback RkyMtn
phammy0137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: '15 FXT

"5 Speed 90K, New Motor"
"New Clutch, Brakes, Tires, CV Axel's, Windshield"
"Cleaned, Sanitized, And Detailed by Professionals!
Over $6000.00 Spent on this One of a Kind CAR!"

Why spend $6k on a car and sell it for $6500?

Why the did it need a new motor after 90k miles? Maybe he's including his labor in the $6k figure? Being a former mechanic myself I would advise friends away from this just because so many new parts makes me wonder if it was totaled or dumped in a lake somewhere. If Carfax checks out get it inspected by a trusted mechanic before you buy. If the owner makes it hard for you to get it checked out, personally I'd walk on it. It might be worth it, only you can say.

$6500 seem like a really good price for a 90k car with a new engine. That engine compartment looks new, which is weird even for a mechanic.

For what it's worth:
What exactly is included in the "Rocky Mountain Edition" package?

Common sense, isn't common.

Last edited by Novablue; 06-13-2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: took out profanity (h e double hockey stick)
Novablue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

If it broke a timing belt that could easily explain the "new" motor (which I would question whether it was truly factory new or rebuilt or plucked from a junkyard) as most folks don't want to deal with bent valves on a solid lifter motor, yours truly included.

Sounds steep for a 99 that's essentially a base with the cold weather package and a couple of accessories. Nice that it's a 5 speed with pretty low miles tho. I have no idea what Outbacks bring in Colorado but around here that car would probably go for about $5k tops. . . and it would probably sit for a while. A 99 Limited with 60k on it was offered for $6k recently and the ad stayed up for several weeks. . . of course I saw where it was offered a week or so earlier for $3k a few towns over so whoever bought it did so to flip it and lots of Craigslisters are savvy to that sort of thing and frown upon it.

Edit: here's a 98 30th anniversary with 78k you can get for 3500.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/3076174179.html

Always parting/fixing a subie or three. . . email me if you need parts. Mostly fool with 2nd gen stuff (00-04).

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
lockmedic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: '15 FXT

In my area a 99 with 90k would go for almost 7-9k. Subaru prices here are inflated. Ironically it was cheaper for me to buy a new Outback than one with 30k. I was quite shocked and bought new. 2009's typically go for 24k here.

Common sense, isn't common.
Novablue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 1999 OBW/2004 OBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novablue View Post
In my area a 99 with 90k would go for almost 7-9k. Subaru prices here are inflated. Ironically it was cheaper for me to buy a new Outback than one with 30k. I was quite shocked and bought new. 2009's typically go for 24k here.
I can attest to that, but that's newer models. I can get a base 2.5i for 22k. Why would I buy used. In this case, I live in Colorado too. Yes, southern Colorado but similar. I think he's about $1000 to $1500 too high. I would be asking questions. Why that much repair to a car with only 90k.?? My 99 has 175k. It's in good shape but I think I'd be lucky to get 2500. A lot of 98 and 99 had faulty speedos, so I'd want proof it has 90k and a clean title. Without receipts a seller can say what they want, but a vin verification and background and or receipts can prove.
evanejp1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Prem. 2.5i, 1999 Outback

I would keep looking!
linkbelt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 1999 Subaru Outback

There was one here in the springs that needed a timing belt for 1000$. 6500 is insane to spend on that for the diff covers and stereo package, keep searching x3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: