Transaxle fit? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Transaxle fit?

I just bought a '96 Outback wagon. 275k, 5s, 2.2, almost no rust outside the driver's door. I'm not unpleased, since I needed a turnkey driver that I wouldn't need to travel to get, and rust-free Subarus in Western Pa are...unusual to say the least.
My bike has 174k on it, and they can keep each other company.
The transaxle is making ungood noises that sound like a diff with a whole lotta miles on it. It isn't dead, but it's heading that way. Oil color and level are both good, shifting is OK (lubing the linkage pivots helped a bit, imagine that).
Question I have is this. Will the transaxle from a '97 Impreza bolt up? I am expecting to check diff ratios, speed sensors, and other peripherals, but will there be any significant compatiblity troubles? Same motor, less than half the miles, locally sourced, and good price.
By the same token, are there any external checks for transaxle health? For BMW bikes and old Alfas, you turn the shafts, check the drain plugs, and pray. Are Subarus the same?

Thanks,
Wheelwright
Wheelwright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22

your 5 speed trans has a 4.11 final drive ratio.

any manual trans 96 - 99 from an outback, GT or forester should match. they all have the same ratio.

lots of other years will probablt fit as well but it will take a little more research to know for sure. the only 2 things to match are the final drive ratio and the push vs. pull clutch.

a non-outback / GT trans COULD be used but you would have to swap the matching rear diff as well.

for parts look here: Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market . i would look close to home first to avoid shipping and then at the lowest price just to see if there is a real bargain out there even with shipping.

Quote:
The transaxle is making ungood noises that sound like a diff with a whole lotta miles on it.
a whine, a scream, a clunk, a hum, a clicking, a whirring ??? or does it sound more like ''luke, i am your faaather.''
canubaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

wheel, double check that the axle stubs are completely popped into the diff.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

97 Impreza will still be a cable operated speedo. I'm fairly certain you can pull the cable and swap in a speed sensor but I can't vouch that everything will be copasetic as far as final drive ratios and speedo drive gears. My gut says it's probably a 3.90 as Subaru usually picks FD's based on tire size. . . Imprezas ran shorter tires so taller gears. Not the end of the world as if you get the rear diff you can swap it too and have an awesome-mileage machine. . .just don't hope to beat anything faster than a pedal cart in a drag race.

Always parting/fixing a subie or three. . . email me if you need parts. Mostly fool with 2nd gen stuff (00-04).

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
lockmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

The trans is both cheap and local. Like down-the-hill-from-work local, but it's in a vehicle at the yard. Is there any way to tell the FD ratio from either the VIN or markings on the trans cases?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22

only by the year and model of the car.

you need one from an OUTBACK, 96 - 99.
canubaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

So a trans from a Forester will do? They're pretty common. According to the online parts fiche and the transmission list, the forester used the right clutch type, FD ratio, and speedo connection.
Outback versions are a little less plentiful.

Thanks,
Wheelwright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: