How to turn off alarm - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question How to turn off alarm

I locked my '98 Outback with the remote, but when I came back to my car, the remote didn't operate. When I used the key to open the door and tried to start the car the alarm went off. After a while it stopped but then would start again and stop again for the next half hour. AAA said to use the key to lock and unlock the door 2 times but that didn't work. Both the starter and the gear shift were disabled. After about a half hour I tried the remote again and I heard the door locks operate. Then I was able to start the car and drive away. Is there a simpler way to handle this situation?
W2ALI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Subaru Outback Limited

You could unplug the unit under the driver side dash, then reprogram the remote.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja - Ditched 13 OB

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2ALI View Post
I locked my '98 Outback with the remote, but when I came back to my car, the remote didn't operate. When I used the key to open the door and tried to start the car the alarm went off. After a while it stopped but then would start again and stop again for the next half hour. AAA said to use the key to lock and unlock the door 2 times but that didn't work. Both the starter and the gear shift were disabled. After about a half hour I tried the remote again and I heard the door locks operate. Then I was able to start the car and drive away. Is there a simpler way to handle this situation?
or disconnect the battery ... these things seem to reset on its own, when the battery is disconnected ... and re-connected.
jogosub is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22

Quote:
these things seem to reset on its own, when the battery is disconnected ... and re-connected.
don't do this.
when you reconnect the battery the alarm system reads this as an attempt to steal the car. and it will disable the the car UNLESS the ignition key is in the ''run'' position.

in newer models, turning the ignition key on and off 3 times will disable the alrm. i don't remember if the same it true for the 90s models.

look here: Subaru Keyless Entry, Security Alarm, Immobilizer Key, Remote Start Systems. Most years and models

i would replace the battery in the remote. if it works some times and not others there is a reason, a weak battery is very possible. another cause may be dirty contacts in the remote. if the problem continues, i would get a replacement off of ebay. any remote that looks like yours will/ should work after it is programmed.
canubaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja - Ditched 13 OB

Good to know canubaru ... I guess, I am not up to date with "newer" models... thanks!
jogosub is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: '97 Outback stock except engine - lost it due to Subaru not changing out the idler pulleys <--originals grenaded

Also, if you enter the car with the alarm going off, press the red button that is flashing on the left side of the steering wheel on the dash- that is the valet button. Understand that you will still need to fix the remote issue, but you can use the vehicle.

Later, T.J.
JavaTee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: