1996 Outback - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 1996 Outback

I just picked up a 96 Outback yesterday, actually a really nice car for $600. The issue as i read on here in other posts is that when i test drove it the crank pulley came loose. It has a little idle issue (real low and misses) and figure that is probably a lot of the reason as it might have skipped time a little. My biggest question is that I have located a 98 model 2.5 engine. Would that be a direct swap over for my 96 or would I have issues doing that. I plan on taking mine apart and checking to see what kind of shape the crankshaft is in before I take the plunge on another engine. Just wondering what my options here are...... Thanks guys and take it easy on me as this is my first post here, and still trying to learn the in's and outs of Subaru's.

2011 Legacy Sedan
1989 DL Wagon
1996 Outback Wagon
dgamblin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22

auto or manual trans? this will determine the engine.
canubaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap

Why not just retime it and tighten the crank pulley, clean out the IAC and see of that fixes it before a full disassembly? I personally would start there. Cheapest thing you could do.

But yes as long as you get one with egr if you have egr (like canabaru asked) or if you don't have egr then either works. But yes direct bolt in. And has the better timing belt tensioner. I had a 98 bottom end in my 96 when I bought it. I would reuse your intake manifold so the charcoal canister hooks up with ease. 98s are in the back by the gas tank.
kirtydandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Simply bolt a good crank pulley on there properly first. The keyway isn't needed at all. File/sand it down smooth/flat and install a good pulley. Tighten the bolt very tight and it won't come off. Unlike aluminum motor/heads the crank and bolt are iron.

You probably mean automatic and therefore 2.5 liter engine in the 96 since that's what you're looking for and quoting. 96 is a one year deal where the manual trans got the 2.2 liter.

Either way the 98 motor would actually swap into the 96 just fine, one just requires two more steps or so.

If you need a new engine, just get an EJ22 and swap it in. Used EJ25's are a gamble. type in "EJ25 Headgasket" if you don't already know. Due to high demand (because of frequent headgasket and lower end bearing failures), the EJ25's are expensive...and possibility of headgasket issues is high even on a used motor regardless of miles, they were blowing headgaskets at 20,000 miles.

In the event valves are bent you can get new heads alone and bolt those up with SUbarus updated 610 headgasket.

You can also bolt EJ22 heads and intake manifold up to your EJ25 engine, extending your search options.

www.car-parts.com.
i also have an EJ25D engine and could install new 610 headgaskets on it for you if you wanted to entertain buying it...depending where you are, i'm not shipping it.

good luck, you have lots of options.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the insight guys. Gary I am in Southwestern Va. near the Princeton/Bluefield area of Wv. What part of Wv are you located in just in case I run into something that isn't fixable with the engine that is in mine?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well I finally got everything back together. The keyway slot was almost FUBAR. I did go ahead and get a new key, new harmonic damper, and a crank sprocket. I tack welded the key to the crankshaft on both ends and JB welded the messed up part of the crank. Everything seems to be ok now except for I realized that it also needs plug wires causing an intermittent miss that will go away once I replace them. My next question is that when I stopped at O'Reilly's to get wires they asked the question if my car was made before 6/96 or after. What difference (other than $30) are the two different wire sets made for my model year car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: