Maximum light? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Maximum light?

I've actually looked though lots of the lighting threads, and I can't find an answer to this.
How much H4 bulb will the stock headlight reflectors handle before they begin to melt?

I've been through all the +this and hyper-that on my motorcyle. Tried an HID conversion and hated it. Euro
silverstar came back out in a week. I haven't tried the current osram +50's, because the lumen increase doesn't
justify the $$.

I've been running the Narva 100/130 rally bulbs in my bike for the last 100k miles (sorry officer, I didn't know). The bike has a
glass reflector, and carrying a spare has proven to be a really good idea. Worth it. Relay harness and direct wiring are firmly in place.

What I'm trying to find out is how close to that 100/130 output can I get before the plastic housings in my '96 begin to melt.
Assume that all conections are clean and healthy, and the lenses are kept polished and clear.

Wheelwright
Wheelwright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

Its not so much what it will handle, it is how much you will be bliinding the oncoming car or pedestrian that stumbles out in front of you. Optics are very complicated, not only does wattage come into it, but the color spectrum (and temperitures of that spectrum) along with the lense design matted to that bulb.

Your not going to melt the lense as temp starts to drop off dramatically the farther away from the bulb you get.
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja - Ditched 13 OB

I have 100 W and 130 W low and high beam bulbs with properly adjusted headlight assembly so that it does not blind the oncoming traffic. I also have 100W yellow bulbs in my fog lights. If anything melts, it would be the bulb sockets (on my 05 Forester one of them did). Since then I use heavy duty wire harness with ceramic bulb socket adapters and all is fine. If I read your post correctly, so do you! However, I don't use any additional relays. Nothing melted on my 3 Subarus, VW, Saab and Honda so far, with above bulbs since 2005!
jogosub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

SUbaru pigtails melt just because. Weakest part of the entire system in the 96-99 years
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogosub View Post
I have 100 W and 130 W low and high beam bulbs with properly adjusted headlight assembly so that it does not blind the oncoming traffic. I also have 100W yellow bulbs in my fog lights. If anything melts, it would be the bulb sockets (on my 05 Forester one of them did). Since then I use heavy duty wire harness with ceramic bulb socket adapters and all is fine. If I read your post correctly, so do you! However, I don't use any additional relays. Nothing melted on my 3 Subarus, VW, Saab and Honda so far, with above bulbs since 2005!
running what alternator ????
mxmikie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja - Ditched 13 OB

OEM stock....now and always on all my previous models....
jogosub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: