1998 OBW possible drivetrain issue? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 1998 OBW possible drivetrain issue?

Was wondering if anyone here has any ideas what can be going on. The symptoms have me a little stumped.

Recently, when the wagon reaches about 50 mph and up to about 60 mph, I've noticed a shallow vibration in the area of my feet either coming from underneath or from the center console area. In addition, there is a deep drone, whine with this vibration is going on. I checked the front differential fluid and the tranny fluid and all is up to proper level. There is no vibration in the steering either. Also, when I get to my destination, I can smell what I think is the tranny fluid... same smell I always notice when driving in snow where the AWD system is consistently being engaged and disengaged.

Other symptoms that have been occurring previously but not sure if they are all tied together in any way:

-When making right turns (right turns only) at typical intersections, I get a heavy vibration coming from somewhere in the front. Vibration is not during the actual turn, but when accelerating back to speed while unwinding the steering wheel back to the straight position. Once the car is driving straight again, the vibration is gone. The vibration is somewhat rough, scale 1-10 (10 being very heavy), I rate it at about 7.

-Tranny hesitates when shifting between 2nd & 3rd gear. Does not hesitate at any other gears, only from 2 to 3. The tranny will come out of 2nd gear, float for 2-3 seconds, and then catch 3rd gear.

Again... I'm totally stumped. I've read anything from a possible bad drive axle to a bad U-joint for the driveshaft. The axle makes sense due to location where I can feel the vibration coming from. If it were anything related to the driveshaft, I would feel it in the seat.

Thank you in advance,
Andre
2013 Super Cycles Scooter: 1500-Watt Brushless Motor (702 MPGe... Ohhhh the savings!!)
2006 Orbea Mitis - Full Shimano Ultegra (Cycling Road Bike)
2005 Trek 7500FX (Cycling Hybrid)

--------------------Previously Owned--------------------
1986 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel (Loud but miss 55 mpg... lol.)
8kGoodENuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

I guess I'm not the only one that is confused about this situation... Lol.

Andre
2013 Super Cycles Scooter: 1500-Watt Brushless Motor (702 MPGe... Ohhhh the savings!!)

Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff View Post
Was wondering if anyone here has any ideas what can be going on. The symptoms have me a little stumped.

Recently, when the wagon reaches about 50 mph and up to about 60 mph, I've noticed a shallow vibration in the area of my feet either coming from underneath or from the center console area. In addition, there is a deep drone, whine with this vibration is going on. I checked the front differential fluid and the tranny fluid and all is up to proper level. There is no vibration in the steering either. Also, when I get to my destination, I can smell what I think is the tranny fluid... same smell I always notice when driving in snow where the AWD system is consistently being engaged and disengaged.

Other symptoms that have been occurring previously but not sure if they are all tied together in any way:

-When making right turns (right turns only) at typical intersections, I get a heavy vibration coming from somewhere in the front. Vibration is not during the actual turn, but when accelerating back to speed while unwinding the steering wheel back to the straight position. Once the car is driving straight again, the vibration is gone. The vibration is somewhat rough, scale 1-10 (10 being very heavy), I rate it at about 7.

-Tranny hesitates when shifting between 2nd & 3rd gear. Does not hesitate at any other gears, only from 2 to 3. The tranny will come out of 2nd gear, float for 2-3 seconds, and then catch 3rd gear.

Again... I'm totally stumped. I've read anything from a possible bad drive axle to a bad U-joint for the driveshaft. The axle makes sense due to location where I can feel the vibration coming from. If it were anything related to the driveshaft, I would feel it in the seat.

Thank you in advance,
Andre
Vibrations at 60 mph - your car is old enough that a universal joint in the driveshaft may be seizing/failing.

Flush the transmission fluid and see if that has nay effect.

The 2-3 shift, does the engine rpm flare at all, or does it stay constant and just feel like nothing is happenining.

How many miles.

Do all the tires match, equally worn and properly inflated?
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car has 188,300 Miles. How would you check for a bad U-Joint?

I was planning on flushing again once the weather got better. Didn't think it would be needed since I did it about 15,000 - 20,000 miles ago, but doesn't hurt to do it again.

Tranny & RPM stay constant and feel like nothing is happening, and then engages next gear.

All tires are worn the same and I check tire pressure every 2-3 weeks... so should be ok.

Thank you,
Andre

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper View Post
Vibrations at 60 mph - your car is old enough that a universal joint in the driveshaft may be seizing/failing.

Flush the transmission fluid and see if that has nay effect.

The 2-3 shift, does the engine rpm flare at all, or does it stay constant and just feel like nothing is happenining.

How many miles.

Do all the tires match, equally worn and properly inflated?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

a bad axle might exhibit some of the symptoms.

but, you may have 2 problems at once.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: Little Red, 2000 Outback H4 "Limited"
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

+1 on the axle
DavidPeab is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

I have noticed that as the 4eats get older the like fresh fluid more often. What I did was switch to a drain and fill every other oil change.

As long as there isnt a flare it isnt anything to get too excited about. What helped resolve mine when it did it was a replacment MAP sensor form a scrap yard (lower mileage car) and a new ground from the engine to the battery. They may not resolve it for you, just a suggestion.

Right turn can be an outer or inner CV joint. The CV can also cause the high speed vibration. What condition are the boots in? They dont have to have torn boots to wear out.
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

To verify an axle vibration, cruise with the your foot on the accelerator creating torque on the drivetrain at the point the vibration occurs, then take your foot off the accelerator. If the vibration quits, its the axle. You just have to figure out which one from there by feeling for which side it is coming from or jack it up on stands or a lift and put it in gear and look for the one that wobbles.

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 98 and 99 Outback

I just had a very similar vibration. My right side axle boot lost all the greese, and the joint finally gave out. I replaced both front axles just because my Leggy Outback Wagon has a 160,000 miles plus. I paid $50 for each side at Napa auto parts rebuilt. Best of luck!

Eddie
Eddie99OB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well... finally had time to take the OBW to the shop. I was starting to think that it was the driver's side drive axle but after inspection of the boots, they were perfectly sealed. But since there could still be internal damage without the boot actually rupturing, I still thought it was that. Mentioned this to the mechanic and also told him to swap out the front, right wheel bearing as it was making some noise, so figured it would be bad.

Well, my trusted mechanic put the car on the lift (I wasn't there for this) and drove the wheels and he said the amount of vibration coming from the front was a lot.

Long story short, it was the wheel bearing that was causing all the vibration issues. The drive axle was perfectly fine. The mechanic also said that there was an ABS ring that was broken as well?!? My father is actually the one that picked up the car for me, so he is the one that relayed the message to me... does that make any sense? I don't know if this 'ring'.

Thank You all for your help.

Andre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: