Sub-Goon Build ('97) - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: '97 Outback 2.5l Auto, Green/Gunmetal, '99 kTm 640 AdventureR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Sub-Goon Build ('97)

Hi there! I'm a new owner, just bought my '97 OutBack waGoon(2.5l/auto/201k miles) a few days ago. Here's the advert photo:

When I got it home, I cleaned the windows and removed the bike racks and replaced the bent luggage crossbar. I got it from Auto World in Fremont, CA. They were pretty cool and gave me a decent deal. They just handed me another crossbar when I mentioned the bent one.

The lady and kids had to go out of town this morning, so I got it ready for the trip. I put the Surco luggage cage from my truck on top, with the help of my bolt box and some old Yakima rack parts. This was my first mod:

The only other mod I have done was to replace the dome light with a 16 LED setup I had floating around.

This is the family wagon, or as I have always liked calling them, Goons! I am going to attempt to keep the mods to a minimum, since I have a motorcycle which is always "asking" for attention!

In a month, I leave on a week long trip to Death Valley and am leading a group of 15 or so other riders.
I am going to try and focus on the stuff that I already have and/or stuff that will help it run better and get better fuel economy.
Here's the parts that I have to put on it:
-Hella SuperTones
-Trans Cooler
-Polish Headlights (also will split the cases and remove the amber reflector and a few other ideas to make it look better),Done!
-DIY Grounding Kit
-50watt halogen reverse bulbs,Done!
-Hella 500 yellow fogs
-Pioneer MP3/USB deck(stock is the Premier unit and I live in a high break-in area, so I will probably keep the stock)
-Redline diff fluid

Here's a few things I am considering throwing money towards:
-Tint rear windows, at least the 2 on each side maybe the hatch
-JDM Fender Markers
-JDM Tail lights
-yellow tint on the side mirrors
-Muffler (stock STI or MagnaFlow??, open to suggestions, wanting the sound of the stock STIs)
-ADVMonster LED Spotlights &/or Floodlights(3600lumen each)
-Rally Armor mudflaps
-Hella 6609 flush reverse fog light
-'99 OBW 5spoke alloys, painted black w/black chrome lugnuts and polished bead
-rear hatch (original has a dent in the top from a bike on the factory rack)
-rear hatch spoiler
-mid spoiler
-leather Forester shifter
-WRX leather steer wheel
-Primitive Type1 or RFRB grill
-bedline bumper centers

The performance/tune stuff that I plan for soon:
-NGK Iridiums
-NGK wires
-Dodge Neon SRT coilpack
-K&N filter
-Lucas Oil Treatment
-Lucas Fuel Sys Cleaner,Done!
-quality synth blend oil
-Wix or Subaru filter
-Seafoam
-Redline Trans fluid
-remove restrictions in the air snorkle
-4EAT power mode mod w/ factory switch
Sub-Goon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

I had the evening free today after work. So on my way home I went by the wreckers (PickNPull) and scored a few items on my list!
-hood scoop trim(mine has faded paint)
-foglight switch & harness(future use with extra lights and to fill the blank)
-headlight plug & weather boot (drivers side is melted, but works)
-(4) cargo nets from a '05 OBXT
-armrest latch(mines missing)

and the best find!
A Bosch toolbag with:
-Klein phillips
-Craftsman straightblade
-Craftsman Diag Cutters
-Craftsman Needle Nose
-Crescent 8"
-ViseGrip 8" Needle Nose
-utility knife
-TrueCraft 6" crescent
-Allen brand 10mm, 12mm & 14mm box/open wrenches

An owner of an Outback had stashed the bag under the spare tire. I was the first to look around in there and so I won the prize!

I was looking for the components of the Road Hazard Kit. Mine has the plastic organizer, jack, jack rod, lug wrench and bag. What else did they come with?? The tray shows a hazard symbol so I was expecting they had a folding hazard sign, but what else??

I added a pair of jumper cables and wrapped them around the spare. Years ago, I found that Nissans from the '80's came with a pair of nice folding wheelchocks, but they are hard to find!

Anyways, I got home and used a 3M Scotchbrite pad on the hoodscoop trim and then painted it with Satin Black paint, which I think will look decent maybe even good!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

It looks good. Must have been a Cali car from that start. I don't see rust.

Is this your first Subie? If so, Welcome to the fam.

Before your trip, check the steering and suspension components and an alignment would be a good idea. Make sure they get all 4 wheels adjusted, not just the front.

Unless you have some maintenance records, I would go through all the fluids and get them flushed.

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Motorcycles only have 2 wheels, a 4 wheel alignment would be a waste of my money!
I guess I didn't make it too clear that the trip is on the moto, not in the Goon!

Two of the big selling points with the car was that its been in Cali for its lifetime and it came with copies of the dealer service records!

Fluids and tuneup components are on the hot list, mostly delayed for time, but also curious to see what the fuel consumption is like and what it changes to after getting some love! Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be an improvement over my trucks 15mpg!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I got lucky when I bought mine. Every receipt since the first oil change at 1k miles was in a folder in the car. Everything completed like clockwork. The dealership hadn't even cleaned it for lot sale so everything was apparent. I hate going to look at a car that someone steamed the engine then its parked. I take them out and run them on the highway for 15-20 miles then look again.

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap

i have a second fog lamp switch too! currently installed and does nothing. ha! youre the only other person ive come accross with the same idea. such an amazing idea for future aux lighting.
kirtydandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 02:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtydandra View Post
i have a second fog lamp switch too! currently installed and does nothing. ha! youre the only other person ive come accross with the same idea. such an amazing idea for future aux lighting.
After reading up on the 4EAT Power Mode mod, I think I will be doing that soon. Still thinking about switch options, but I will probably be using the extra Fog Lamp switch for turning the Power Mode on and off!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Today, I did a bit of work. The USDM headlights were pretty hazed out, being on a tight budget right now, getting JDM Projectors or finding apair of Morettes are out of the question! So I took them off the car & put them in the oven. 200*F for 10-15 mins and they came open with just a bit of force.
I then removed the amber corner reflector, masked off the front inside of the lens and sprayed the inside, sides with black satin plastic paint to keep light from escaping anywhere except the front. Then I masked off the chrome reflector, and sprayed anywhere it wasn't reflecting the headlight or the corner light.
I found that there is an unused area for a DRL or running light, it sits between the headlight and the corner light. I'm considering adding a colored 194 led bulb, but we'll see if I get around to it!
Then I put the pieces back together and put them in the oven to soften the adhesive and glue them together again.
Next order of business, polish the **** out of the lenses with my 3M kit. I've done this on a few vehicles, takes a while but the results are worth the time and effort!
I had to repair a melted H4 plug, which took a bit of time, but again worth knowing its not going to die! As I was putting it back together, I changed the amber corner bulbs with Silvania SilverStar 2057 bulbs, so they dont look amber til they are on!

I need to figure out whether or not to go HID. If I don't, I will probably put relays on the headlight along with heavy duty plugs and then upgrade the bulbs to a pair of good Osram 100/80.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Totally unnecessary detail, but I always love throwing lil touches in!

I'm also thinking in the future, I will crack them open again, and add the extra bulb location with a green LED, which will give the headlight a green hue when they are off. Also where the amber reflector was, I will put a piece of black reflective vinyl, which should look real nice. Right now the triangle "window" looks like something was meant to be there and is missing.

I also painted the scoop I got from the wreckers. I'm not sure how its goin to look, but I decided to try having it the Bronze from the valance panels, with the inside painted satin black. I used plastic epoxy to attach the rain-gutter mesh in the opening, but I didn't take any pics or get it installed. If I don't like the color, it'll just end up satin black. I'm considering a WRX scoop, but I dislike non-functional mods, so it's a maybe.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Looking at this pic makes me want to do more, it's so suburban/yuppie!
Soon I want to:
-mount Hella Supertones
-swap out Fogs for Hella 500 Yellow Fogs
-Bedliner the darker center of the bumper skin
-ditch the license frame and mount the plate inside the bumper
-change the grill to a more aggressive looking style, like

Primitive V1
-recolor the badge, metallic blue background and maybe I can figure out how to change the stars to yellow?!
-black vinyl across the top of the windshield to kill the sun; Rally style of course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: