96' Overheating - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 1996 Subaru Outback 2.5L
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 96' Overheating

I've got a 96' Outback 2.5L with 135,000 Miles. I had to phurchase a new radiator at 134,000 miles after cracking. I was in trafic the other day and it started to over heat. The gauge went 3/4ths of the way and went back to 4/10 when I starte to drive again. I thought at first it was a fluke but it did it again in my drive way going into reverse. I noticed for awhile now there has been white smoke comming out of my tail pipe. The issue hasn't really been bad until I noticed the smell of coolant boiling Saturday. I looked under the hood and noticed that my reserve tank was nearly empty after filling it up the week before. I know my fans work just fine I know for sure my radiator is good its brand new. All I can rule is a thermostat and a dreaded head gasket. If it is a head I do have a warrenty that runs out in a month should I make good use of it now or replace the thermostat and see if the issue continues?

Last edited by Ildjarn; 04-22-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Orginal post was gibberish.
Ildjarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 1999 Subaru Outback

If your head gaskets have never been done, you're at the miles where it's gonna come up.
Does your coolant res. smell like exhaust? Have you ever had it checked out on a lift, where you can see the bottom side of the motor?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

White smoke is water burning.
Blue smoke is oil.
Black smoke is fuel.

If the white smoke was coming out the tailpipe, its head gasket time. Have the head thoroughly checked for cracks. Its rare, but if the engine overheats enough, its possible.

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

My car was doing something similar .... but no white smoke .... I replaced the Thermostat and so far its been working fine .... my fans were working "overtime" .. the fans were on for more than 5 mins or 10 at times and I was surprised that I always ran out of coolant ... but with the new thermostat its working like it suppose to ...
jcfili is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 1996 Subaru Outback 2.5L

I got the thermostat replaced. I haven't run into the overheating problem yet. I had my mechanic do a pressure test to see if there was any cracked heads or anything. He said the pressure test came back great! We will see from here though. Yeah my mechanic said he checked it out bottom side because he himself said these engines are noctorious for head gaskets getting blown.
Ildjarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: