Subaru Outback Forums banner

08 Stroker outback Xt limited

17K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  jennifer_winget 
#1 ·
2008 outback XT stroker build
Hello after many years I am joining the Outback community and am please to introduce my pride and joy. This car is still a work in progress but here's were she sits now. Enjoy!

Engine and exhaust
Cobb V3 access port
Manley 83 mm billet stroker crank
Crower I beam rods
JE pistons
Cosworth 278-274 cams
Super tech 70lb valve train
ARP head studs
Cosworth head gasket
Moroso oil pan/ motul oil 15/50 summer and 5/40 winter
Crawford AOS
MSI fuel rails with upgraded fuel lines
AVO fuel pump
Tomi fuel pressure regulator
PE 800cc injectors currently being swapped to ID 1000 cc because of issues
3 port boost control
Blouch 20g XT turbo
AVO top mount
Perrin equal length headers
Up pipe
Cobb cat less down pipe
Spt dual exhaust
SPT cold air intake
Koyo radiator
Grim speed light weight pulley
Optima red top

Breaks
Stage two slotted rotors
Hawk pads
Good-ridge steal Bradded lines
Motul break fluid

Once these burn out I will be upgrading to a big break kit front and rear most likely either Brembo or Stop tech

Suspension- a work in progress
White line front and rear sways with end links
Avo under body brace kit front and rear
Avo steering rack bushings
Avo control arm bushings
Sti tops hats front and rear
New but stock springs and KYB gr2
I am considering dropping it soon but still need to figure out what will be best for me. Being at stock ride height I have the distinct advantage of being able to mash anywhere and every were with no regard. This includes being able to run over zombies.

Exterior
Rally tech full skid plate
Rally innovations light bar
PIAA lights

Wheels
Stock 17" powder coated with Sumitomo HRT A/S P01 235-50-17 winter
Tenzo r sport 18" with Michelin pilot super sport 245-45-18 summer

Drivetrain
Kart boy short thro shifter with bushings
Act hd clutch with fly wheel
Stock 5 speed. I know it's crazy
Once the tranny blows I will either do a full six speed swap with 180 diff and DDC or helical PPG set.

I'm sure I left a few things out but this is the bulk of it

When originally tuned the car put down 350whp and 355lbs on crap 91 Octane at 19 psi. I swear I would tell 91 octane to got to **** but I don't think satan could make much power with it either. With my current injector issue it is suffering and so I am swapping in ID 1000 cc injectors and doing a retune in a couple of days. Thanks for all of your posts and knowledge to the Outback community. Any feed back or comments are appreciated as I have lots more to learn and still have a ways to go on my build particularly on breaks, drive train and suspension. I will update this post pictures after the new tune. Peace my brothers!
2008 outback XT stroker build
Hello after many years I am joining the Outback community and am please to introduce my pride and joy. This car is still a work in progress but here's were she sits now. Enjoy!

Engine and exhaust
Cobb V3 access port
Manley 83 mm billet stroker crank
Crower I beam rods
JE pistons
Cosworth 278-274 cams
Super tech 70lb valve train
ARP head studs
Cosworth head gasket
Moroso oil pan/ motul oil 15/50 summer and 5/40 winter
Crawford AOS
MSI fuel rails with upgraded fuel lines
AVO fuel pump
Tomi fuel pressure regulator
PE 800cc injectors currently being swapped to ID 1000 cc because of issues
3 port boost control
Blouch 20g XT turbo
AVO top mount
Perrin equal length headers
Up pipe
Cobb cat less down pipe
Spt dual exhaust
SPT cold air intake
Koyo radiator
Grim speed light weight pulley
Optima red top

Breaks
Stage two slotted rotors
Hawk pads
Good-ridge steal Bradded lines
Motul break fluid

Once these burn out I will be upgrading to a big break kit front and rear most likely either Brembo or Stop tech

Suspension- a work in progress
White line front and rear sways with end links
Avo under body brace kit front and rear
Avo steering rack bushings
Avo control arm bushings
Sti tops hats front and rear
New but stock springs and KYB gr2
I am considering dropping it soon but still need to figure out what will be best for me. Being at stock ride height I have the distinct advantage of being able to mash anywhere and every were with no regard. This includes being able to run over zombies.

Exterior
Rally tech full skid plate
Rally innovations light bar
PIAA lights

Wheels
Stock 17" powder coated with Sumitomo HRT A/S P01 235-50-17 winter
Tenzo r sport 18" with Michelin pilot super sport 245-45-18 summer

Drivetrain
Kart boy short thro shifter with bushings
Act hd clutch with fly wheel
Stock 5 speed. I know it's crazy
Once the tranny blows I will either do a full six speed swap with 180 diff and DDC or helical PPG set.

I'm sure I left a few things out but this is the bulk of it

When originally tuned the car put down 350whp and 355lbs on crap 91 Octane at 19 psi. I swear I would tell 91 octane to got to **** but I don't think satan could make much power with it either. With my current injector issue it is suffering and so I am swapping in ID 1000 cc injectors and doing a retune in a couple of days. Thanks for all of your posts and knowledge to the Outback community. Any feed back or comments are appreciated as I have lots more to learn and still have a ways to go on my build particularly on breaks, drive train and suspension. I will update this post pictures after the new tune. Peace my brothers!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I have the Rally Innovations light bar and i hate it. When im doing long drives at night time, I turn them on and they shake, everywhere. I recently bought the winch/light bar from Gorilla and hopefully it will clear up my issue. Similar set up as you but my PIAA are on the outside bottom and 2 Hella 500's in the center top.

#7 ·
Is there a place to get from the top of the bar into the grill to a mounting point that you could simply add some steel to.?

Seems like just a poor design to hang the lights like that, maybe even some lights that weigh less.

Oh and great ride, $$$$$, John Dillenger would be proud. Edit: how much have you put into the build all together, vs. cardoc's supercharged VDC?

#9 ·
The light bar only mounts to the bumper beam but it gets the job done. The lights don't move or vibrate when driving. As far as the build cost including other mods about 20k. Strokers aren't cheap. I have either upgraded or replaced everything on this car possible except the tranny witch I am waiting until it blows. FLI in Santa Rosa built the car and did all the tuning I am now at FW motor sports in Rocklin Ca because I moved.

#11 ·
It's still a work in progress. The hunt for a type D bumper continues then its body and paint. Going to have to recover the driver seat; 198k miles the threads are starting to come apart but otherwise the interior is completed. The SC should be arriving today or tomorrow with its new upgraded impeller, up to 16 psi, then baby step it up from 10 to see how the engine reactes.

Expensive science project. Great joy to drive. :D

#12 ·
Running yet

..That gotta be a little rocket.WIsh I could build engines like that about the oniy thing I can do is oil changes and belts plus most everything now has to be diagnosed by dealers.my old landrover discovery 2001 isn't to bad but its only got 65000 miles . I change the oil on that but I just got new subaru 3.6 limited and I'm learning more on that everyday.Its only got 2300 miles is that subaru on the road yet.

#14 ·
Ok, I've been crazy busy and had Little "B" yesterday. 1st I will start by say WOW. Nice ride, nice work. I want to shake your hand, then kick you in the n*ts. WTF Brother, what do I do know...I might as well just hang up my keys, park it. It's been done...to the max and them some, I quit. I like your car but I don't want it. I want your build fund.:)

So many questions....I'll PM you sometime, but the front AVO chassis brace...you like??? I want. Do you have their rear set up, didn't look like it. Thoughts on that?

#15 ·
thanks lol. I have the front and rear a avo braces and the car handles a lot better it feels stiffer overall I am happy with the improvement and would recommend it I believe there are a couple of manufacturers that make under body braces. the avo steering rack bushings are another good upgrade as well as the control arm bushings steering feels a lot stiffer another great addition is front and rear sway bars from white line.

#17 ·
thanks lol. I have the front and rear a avo braces and the car handles a lot better it feels stiffer overall I am happy with the improvement and would recommend it I believe there are a couple of manufacturers that make under body braces. the avo steering rack bushings are another good upgrade as well as the control arm bushings steering feels a lot stiffer another great addition is front and rear sway bars from white line.
I got the WL bars too, adjustables. Do you have the AVO RSB brace or the Rear Chassis brace kit? (4pcs)

Anyway the pics I spoke about in the PM. Note the tiny tears in the FLL bushing. When the car was hanging with vehicle wheel weight, I could see light through these.

Attachments

#16 ·
I haven't gotten any pricing on paint. I'm debating paint or wrap. Solid metallic black, heavy flake. A complete job would probably run $5-6k to have it done right. I can save some by stripping the parts off the car prior to hauling it for prep and paint.

I have two spots on the left rear quarter to fix and some on the upper edge of the windshield. Then I still have the rear bumper post to work on some more. When it gets started, the car will be down for a week just on body repair. I have to find another set of wheels, Subaru, that I can live with. Maybe Subaru will put out the VIZIV2 about the time I'm ready for it. Or, I could settle for a used 3.6R Legacy. :)

#18 ·
I haven't gotten any pricing on paint. I'm debating paint or wrap. Solid metallic black, heavy flake. A complete job would probably run $5-6k to have it done right. I can save some by stripping the parts off the car prior to hauling it for prep and paint.

I have two spots on the left rear quarter to fix and some on the upper edge of the windshield. Then I still have the rear bumper post to work on some more. When it gets started, the car will be down for a week just on body repair. I have to find another set of wheels, Subaru, that I can live with. Maybe Subaru will put out the VIZIV2 about the time I'm ready for it. Or, I could settle for a used 3.6R Legacy. :)
5-6K is about right for a high quality jib with a few issues...no 5 Bill Macco special. I am working on my entire build with the expectation that I will paint is all in the end, all sliver-get rid of the Charcol body molding color. But in 29yrs of (legally) driving and building rigs, I have only ever gotten 1 daily driver painted. My '84 Fuego Turbo, in 1988. The only other car I ever got sprayed was my '69MGC GT. Still waiting to have the drivetrain and interior installed.

So, with me, I seems like a pipe dream. My XT has already been somewhat molested, paint wise. Poorly, selectively sprayed. Un-reported (carfax) hail damage. But I'm leaning toward keeping the XT as one of my girls. To join the same MG and my '66 Corvair Corsa.

Attachments

#20 ·
I have the four-piece AVO kit. Thanks for the pm by the way. I will be checking in to the rear links. I'm based in the sac area and theirs a shop called FW motor sports so I'm going to run. It by them as well. Paint is the last thing on my list as well after transmission, big brakes and suspensio. Once that is all done I will paint it factor color with a thin black pin stripe running the length of the car on both sides. I have pinstripes now but they're stick on. they are a very subtle you can't really notice until you're right up next to the car. I will get a picture so that you can see what I'm talking about

#21 ·
Nice! One of the best years and color combinations for the XT.

I've got to say I'm pleased you didn't lower it and instead addressed the handling issues at stock height.

#23 ·
How do you like the stroker motor? I would really like to end up with one, eventually, because I like the lower end torque.
I just sold a full race engine on the LGT forum because it was a little too aggressive for me and I didn't want to mess with a new engine and tuning before moving to another state. I do miss it already, though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.