Subaru Outback Forums banner

My first Subaru! Little help.

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  kcs0210 
#1 ·
I bought an 01 Outback Limited Sedan on eBay. All told, including shipping from Philly to Cleveland, I'm into it $2600. I've been looking for 3 months or more and this seems like a great deal. All work has been done (timing belt, head gaskets)
My bro-in-law is a Subie mechanic and my sister runs a body shop, so I got the hook-ups, as it were.
What I want to know, what are the "little things" everyone does to make the car 'theirs'?
I'm adding remote start for sure. I'm looking in to Navigation/DVD touch screen Stereo.
As far as good quality plugs, wires, air filter and the like. What about led interior lighting? Horns, fog lamps, whatever . I want any and all ideas.
I have to be a little unique, no matter how little it is.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, getting the sedan instead of the wagon is very unique. Stereo upgrade is nice because it has the double DIN which will give you room for your nav setup. Use NGK plugs and wires. Don't waste your money on K&N filters.

BTW, If the TB and HG have been done, it is not rusted out, and under 200K miles it is a great price. Enjoy.

#3 ·
thats a nice looking 2001 sedan.

plugs: NGK double platinum,...NGK wires. (subarus like NGK only).

I am running OEM air filters, and oil filters. (K&N and any other wet air filter, just plain sucks).

swapping all the fluids out should be the order of the day if it has not happened yet. along a with a OEM pcv and thermostat,...which oddly do not appear on the basic maint. schedule.

Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

here is more on the 2001 cars.

2001 Subaru Outback options, prices, all currrent and older Subarus Outbacks Foresters Imprezas Bajas

options: you might consider a spoiler. I have a factory one on my 2002 sedan and am considering giving it up for the clean look.

maybe your sister could hook you up with a tasteful thin gold or silver pin stripe.

in the trunk I am always out for more / better hard points to mount tie down straps too. (I make a lot of use to the panel on the drivers side that hides the jack, as that has exposed steel)

#5 ·
you can buy mine. $7000 US, >:)

it has some rust, but that just ads to the hard core subaru experience. .rear seat cup holder is stored in the trunk,...have not thrown it out or fixed it yet.

...100,000 miles head gaskets done the right way.

....maybe @jogosub could recommend some creative economical way to trade cars from the US to Oz and back.

#6 · (Edited)
I was only looking at the Sport Wagons in 250 mile radius. Couldn't find anything on cargurus or ebay. Switched to 500 mile radius, and there she was...
Is that true about originally sold only in US?
I haven't gotten it yet , I hope it's as nice as it looks. He sent me nearly 50 pics.
I ordered NGK plugs and wires, and I went to a junkyard and pulled the radio from a wrecked wagon just to learn how to do it without tearing everything up.
I am so stoked. I'll update as I go along.
Oh, I wanted the vanity plate SUBARU (I tried 1-99 and they are all taken). Then I tried URABUS...taken. But OUTBACK is available. Odd.

#7 ·
I was only looking at the Sport Wagons in 250 mile radius. Couldn't find anything on cargurus or ebay. Switched to 500 mile radius, and there she was...
Is that true about not originally sold in US?
I hope it doesn't smell like Koala poop and Foster's.
I haven't gotten it yet , I hope it's as nice as it looks. He sent me nearly 50 pics.
I ordered NGK plugs and wires, and I went to a junkyard and pulled the radio from a wrecked wagon just to learn how to do it without tearing everything up.
I am so stoked. I'll update as I go along.
Oh, I wanted the vanity plate SUBARU (I tried 1-99 and they are all taken). Then I tried URABUS...taken. But OUTBACK is available. Odd.
apparently Aussies never got raised up legacy sedans = outback sedans,....although I am sure more then a few have done some DIY to raise up a subaru sedan.

#9 ·
I bought an 01 Outback Limited Sedan on eBay. All told, including shipping from Philly to Cleveland, I'm into it $2600. I've been looking for 3 months or more and this seems like a great deal. All work has been done (timing belt, head gaskets)

Wauw! I've never seen a Sedan IRL :grin2::grin2::nerd::nerd:
Looks in good shape as well!

Good luck with the purchase! :grin2::grin2::grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.