My first Subaru! Little help. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DavidPeab

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool My first Subaru! Little help.

I bought an 01 Outback Limited Sedan on eBay. All told, including shipping from Philly to Cleveland, I'm into it $2600. I've been looking for 3 months or more and this seems like a great deal. All work has been done (timing belt, head gaskets)
My bro-in-law is a Subie mechanic and my sister runs a body shop, so I got the hook-ups, as it were.
What I want to know, what are the "little things" everyone does to make the car 'theirs'?
I'm adding remote start for sure. I'm looking in to Navigation/DVD touch screen Stereo.
As far as good quality plugs, wires, air filter and the like. What about led interior lighting? Horns, fog lamps, whatever . I want any and all ideas.
I have to be a little unique, no matter how little it is.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_5.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	171553  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 04:25 PM

Car: Little Red, 2000 Outback H4 "Limited" - Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well, getting the sedan instead of the wagon is very unique. Stereo upgrade is nice because it has the double DIN which will give you room for your nav setup. Use NGK plugs and wires. Don't waste your money on K&N filters.

BTW, If the TB and HG have been done, it is not rusted out, and under 200K miles it is a great price. Enjoy.

elee888 likes this.

Set the Wayback machine to the year 2000 Sherman... when Little Red was problem free.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: VDC Wagon 3.0 & Outback Limited Sedan 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by busler62 View Post
I bought an 01 Outback Limited Sedan on eBay. All told, including shipping from Philly to Cleveland, I'm into it $2600. I've been looking for 3 months or more and this seems like a great deal. All work has been done (timing belt, head gaskets)
My bro-in-law is a Subie mechanic and my sister runs a body shop, so I got the hook-ups, as it were.
What I want to know, what are the "little things" everyone does to make the car 'theirs'?
I'm adding remote start for sure. I'm looking in to Navigation/DVD touch screen Stereo.
As far as good quality plugs, wires, air filter and the like. What about led interior lighting? Horns, fog lamps, whatever . I want any and all ideas.
I have to be a little unique, no matter how little it is.
thats a nice looking 2001 sedan.

plugs: NGK double platinum,...NGK wires. (subarus like NGK only).

I am running OEM air filters, and oil filters. (K&N and any other wet air filter, just plain sucks).

swapping all the fluids out should be the order of the day if it has not happened yet. along a with a OEM pcv and thermostat,...which oddly do not appear on the basic maint. schedule.

Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

here is more on the 2001 cars.

2001 Subaru Outback options, prices, all currrent and older Subarus Outbacks Foresters Imprezas Bajas

options: you might consider a spoiler. I have a factory one on my 2002 sedan and am considering giving it up for the clean look.

maybe your sister could hook you up with a tasteful thin gold or silver pin stripe.

in the trunk I am always out for more / better hard points to mount tie down straps too. (I make a lot of use to the panel on the drivers side that hides the jack, as that has exposed steel)

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 04:48 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Australia ever got that particular model. I want one !

2009 MY10 Outback (current)
2001 BA3 Rx Liberty (current)
1991 Dl Sportswagon severly modified (gone)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearwater99 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Australia ever got that particular model. I want one !

you can buy mine. $7000 US,

it has some rust, but that just ads to the hard core subaru experience. .rear seat cup holder is stored in the trunk,...have not thrown it out or fixed it yet.

...100,000 miles head gaskets done the right way.

....maybe @jogosub could recommend some creative economical way to trade cars from the US to Oz and back.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans here:

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

I was only looking at the Sport Wagons in 250 mile radius. Couldn't find anything on cargurus or ebay. Switched to 500 mile radius, and there she was...
Is that true about originally sold only in US?
I haven't gotten it yet , I hope it's as nice as it looks. He sent me nearly 50 pics.
I ordered NGK plugs and wires, and I went to a junkyard and pulled the radio from a wrecked wagon just to learn how to do it without tearing everything up.
I am so stoked. I'll update as I go along.
Oh, I wanted the vanity plate SUBARU (I tried 1-99 and they are all taken). Then I tried URABUS...taken. But OUTBACK is available. Odd.

Last edited by busler62; 05-25-2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: misspelling
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by busler62 View Post
I was only looking at the Sport Wagons in 250 mile radius. Couldn't find anything on cargurus or ebay. Switched to 500 mile radius, and there she was...
Is that true about not originally sold in US?
I hope it doesn't smell like Koala poop and Foster's.
I haven't gotten it yet , I hope it's as nice as it looks. He sent me nearly 50 pics.
I ordered NGK plugs and wires, and I went to a junkyard and pulled the radio from a wrecked wagon just to learn how to do it without tearing everything up.
I am so stoked. I'll update as I go along.
Oh, I wanted the vanity plate SUBARU (I tried 1-99 and they are all taken). Then I tried URABUS...taken. But OUTBACK is available. Odd.
apparently Aussies never got raised up legacy sedans = outback sedans,....although I am sure more then a few have done some DIY to raise up a subaru sedan.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 06:25 PM

Car: 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
apparently Aussies never got raised up legacy sedans = outback sedans,....although I am sure more then a few have done some DIY to raise up a subaru sedan.
The only DIY's I've seen on Subaru sedans over here involves dropping them to the ground and fitting bigger wheels You want ride height you buy a HIlux
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: